Sylvette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Member: 895486
  • Gloucestershire, UK

Posted 13 July 2017 - 17:02

On the way to my G2 piano exam, I found out I had passed my G7 Musical Theatre with a Merit (82%) Exactly the same mark as for my G6!

Piano exam now done.  I shook like a leaf throughout and messed up one of my pieces.  Oh well, can't be helped now.  I just hope the results don't take too long.

#62 _DaVid_

_DaVid_

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Member: 895117

Posted 15 July 2017 - 19:40

On the way to my G2 piano exam, I found out I had passed my G7 Musical Theatre with a Merit (82%) Exactly the same mark as for my G6!
Piano exam now done. I shook like a leaf throughout and messed up one of my pieces. Oh well, can't be helped now. I just hope the results don't take too long.

Excellent result!...What's Musical Theatre though...singing?

Don't worry about messing up, I messed up on all three pieces in my grade 4 exam, and got a 128 merit!? I won't get the breakdown/sheet for ages as lessons are off until late August. Good luck.

#63 Sylvette

Sylvette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Gloucestershire, UK

Posted 16 July 2017 - 12:10

Thanks _DaVid_.

Musical Theatre is a combination of singing and acting.  So for G7 I had to do 4 songs from shows of different eras, plus act a libretto extract related to one of the songs, plus a viva about the songs, the shows they came from, the composers/librettists, etc.  For G8 I will also have to do an acting sight read.  The number of songs required increases and the dates required get more specific as you go up through the grades and the libretto extract doesn't come in until G7, but right from the start the way the songs are acted as well as sung is taken into consideration.  They like the song to be choreographed and some indication of costume and props as well.

This time, I did When Frederick Was a Little Lad from Pirates of Penzance, Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man from Show Boat, I Hate Men from Kiss Me Kate (with libretto extract) and When You're Good to Mama from Chicago.

I hope this isn't too much information!

#64 _DaVid_

_DaVid_

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 17:35

Thanks _DaVid_.
Musical Theatre is a combination of singing and acting. So for G7 I had to do 4 songs from shows of different eras, plus act a libretto extract related to one of the songs, plus a viva about the songs, the shows they came from, the composers/librettists, etc. For G8 I will also have to do an acting sight read. The number of songs required increases and the dates required get more specific as you go up through the grades and the libretto extract doesn't come in until G7, but right from the start the way the songs are acted as well as sung is taken into consideration. They like the song to be choreographed and some indication of costume and props as well.
This time, I did When Frederick Was a Little Lad from Pirates of Penzance, Can't Help Lovin' Dat Man from Show Boat, I Hate Men from Kiss Me Kate (with libretto extract) and When You're Good to Mama from Chicago.
I hope this isn't too much information!

Not at all, I've never heard of that. Well done for doing it though, that would be my worst nightmare. I have problems with aural in grades never mind all that!
Thanks for the info.

#65 saxophile

saxophile

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1028 posts
  • Member: 70062
  • Yorkshire

Posted Yesterday, 07:14

In complete shock.  Got my Gr.8 sax result yesterday evening and I got a distinction (133)!!! :blink:  :woot:   Even my scales (which were pretty awful, I thought) got 16, and my aurals were 17/18: unbelievable!!! (Clearly, I was learning something in the 200+ modulation tests I tried on E-music-maestro....)

Not sure how I'm going to concentrate at work today...!!  :D

#66 SwissPianoGirl

SwissPianoGirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Member: 893205

Posted Yesterday, 07:32

Congratulations saxophile! That is an amazing result! Bask in the glory!

#67 saxophile

saxophile

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1028 posts
  • Member: 70062
  • Yorkshire

Posted Yesterday, 07:41

Congratulations saxophile! That is an amazing result! Bask in the glory!

Thank you!!! As an adult learner, I just never thought I would even get as far as taking the exam, let alone passing, and a distinction was beyond my wildest imaginings... :D

#68 EllieD

EllieD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted Yesterday, 07:44

Amazing!! Well done!! :woot: 

#69 Sylvette

Sylvette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Gloucestershire, UK

Posted Yesterday, 09:44

Fantastic, saxophile! Brilliant result!! :clap:  :hurrah: 

#70 _DaVid_

_DaVid_

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:50

Well done! A distinction at grade 8, that's some achievement.

#71 dumdidum

dumdidum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Member: 488225
  • Mancland

Posted Yesterday, 17:30

Well done Saxophile!great achievement