Help! Should I Take Music Gcse

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest: **Berry**_*

Guest: **Berry**_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 12 April 2005 - 19:25

I am really confused at the moment! I am a year nine girl, who has been picking her options recently, because I was new to the school last year, I missed out on learning two languages, therefore I couln't move into the top group, however music as a GCSE can only be acsessed by me if i drop German or Geography, I love my music, but I also love doing Geography and Geramn and think that they would be more beneficial for me if I am to be a lawyer or teacher like I hope to be! Help Please! Love ya xx xx

#2 Guest: Glitsy_*

Guest: Glitsy_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2005 - 16:03

What age group would you like to teach? If its primary school level having GCSE music would be very beneficial, especially if you can play the piano. My sister is a primary school teacher and the reason she was offered her job over other people is because she had GCSE and A level music. It's also a very enjoyable GCSE to take and i found was a good break from some of the more 'heavy' going subjects.

#3 Guest: purple dolphin_*

Guest: purple dolphin_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2005 - 16:18

I had to choose between german geography and music! I could pick two out of the three. Which out of the three would yo be able to cope with a solid week of most? In the end I decided by doing this, and I decided that I like 2 lessons of geog a week but i would rather have a solid week of german and music rather than a solid week of geography.

P.S I know how you feel, I'm in yr 9 too!

#4 Guest: purple dolphin_*

Guest: purple dolphin_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2005 - 16:19

Oh yeah, I'm gonna be a lawyer as well. Geography you can pick up at A level without gcse. They say music is far harder to pick up at A level if you havnt done it for gcse.

#5 Guest: my_piano_is_my_best_friend_*

Guest: my_piano_is_my_best_friend_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2005 - 17:24

I'm year 11 and I'm taking Music, Drama and History...nice mix ther!! I LOVE music GCSE, i've just had to send my composition coursework off...scary!! But yer if you love music then do it, loads of my friends wanted to take it but didnt and really regret it now. And quite a few of my friends take geography and german and hate them!! In the long run, which subject do you enjoy the most?? Because the one you enjoy the most, you are more likely to succeed in...that's the honest truth...i know i speak from experience. Hope this hepls xxxxxxxxxx

Keep making that music people xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx biggrin.gif

#6 Guest: Lisa87_*

Guest: Lisa87_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2005 - 19:51

Hi i think you should take gcse music as even though some of the stuff crops up in grade 5 theory (which i am studying for at the moment) it will give you performance practise and the chance to work with other musicians which would be useful when teaching in a school. I have been in a wheelchair for 4 years now due to an illness i developed and can't go to school so i had a tutor to get me through my gcse's (was only able to take two). The only thing was that when i enquired about taking gcse music the examination boards refused to let me take it privately with my piano teacher teaching me it as they said a school teacher would have to oversee my coursework and that i wouldn't be able to do the performance and ensemble parts of the exam. So.....my teacher found a local school that agreed to oversee my coursework and even said i would be able to use their facilities but the exam board still said no as it was against the rules (if they had just said that in the first place then my teacher wouldn't have had to ask around all the local schools). I was really disappointed as i thought that if i didn't have that wouldn't be able to have a career in music (which is my dream) but have found that i can take the abrsm grades and will need grade 8 theory and diploma to get into a university. So what i'm trying to get at here is that even if you didn't take gcse music there are other ways of getting qualifications and from someone who would love to take it but can't, i think it would be of much more value to you than the other subjects and you will probably enjoy working with other people who like music too.

Anyway sorry if i've rambled but thought i should give you the reason why i couldn't take gcse music as otherwise it would look a little weird biggrin.gif and good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Lisa xxx

#7 Guest: tooty_flute_*

Guest: tooty_flute_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2005 - 20:29

Picking options is a difficult process. But deciding not to take geography for example, doesnt rule it out totally for alevel, its the same with german. With music it is advised that you take GCSE music if you want to take Alevel music. I'd say just do what you want to do, do what you enjoy. Please dont feel tied down by wanting to be a lawyer - do what you will have fun doing. I am in year 11 and take Music, drama and german as my options. I decided on these because I love music and drama and would to me the diea of studying them for 2 years sounds great. And I chose german because its soemthing that I do quite well in, and I have a general interest in. Just do what you enjoy. And if you are really unhappy with your choice, come september you could probably change your options around if you wanted to.

Good luck

Iz

#8 Guest: spampurse_*

Guest: spampurse_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2005 - 13:52

do music gcse. its fun and german sounds boring. just my opinion.

#9 Guest: Chimpyang_*

Guest: Chimpyang_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2005 - 21:12

Music GCSE's alright but it's really really tedious and can really drag you down, especially when asked to compose and you cant feel the creative spark instantly. I know i'm jsut finishing the course, thankfuly i did it as an after school course, only 1 leson a week and despite a bad first year we have a new music teacher and have covered all the syllabus in 2 terms. The main annoyances are composing and more composing.

But seriously, if you can do it, the nfine it';d be a useful qualification but if not find something that suits you better to do.

#10 Guest: elidatrading_*

Guest: elidatrading_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2005 - 08:20

From the poijnt of view of being a lawyer or teacher, your GCSEs won't make any difference at all. Just choose on the basis of what you like best.

I confess i am astounded that people here have been told that it is difficult to do music A level without having done GCSE. I could understand that with the old O level but the GCSE is much less academic than O level was (sorry!) and I always thought that GCSE itself was no preparation for A level. And yes I have taught both, though to be fair, I haven't taught at all for six years and I haven't taught A level for eight years. So things may have changed I suppose.

Liz

#11 Guest: sbhoa_*

Guest: sbhoa_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2005 - 14:16

Another consideration could be the make up of the class.
In some (many?) schools the GCSE class has an awful lot of total beginners in which may me a bit restrictive and frustrating for those who are at a reasonable level in playing and theory.

#12 Guest: **Berry**_*

Guest: **Berry**_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2005 - 16:16

Thank you everybody! It has really helped!lol I have decided on all three after all!lol I know its alot of work, but I think that I will be able to do ut if I try! Thank you all love ya xx xx xx xx biggrin.gif

#13 Guest: saxlover_*

Guest: saxlover_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2005 - 20:42

one word: YES!!!!