QUOTE(jod @ Jul 19 2011, 08:29 PM)
The thing was I didn't actually put this down as prep. It was so much part of every-day life I suppose it didn't feel like anything special.
Sure I decided what I needed to brush up on outside of that. The thing is once you've taken A levels and then dedicated three years study, and then work in an area, and read about it as a matter of course, it doesn't feel like work anymore.
I did rather get that feeling at the time when friends asked me how I found the time... I suppose by that time the method of thinking was so ingrained it was automatic... as was looking after kids, housework and other things I just had to do. All the things I'd got to a high enough level were at auto-pilot level, they were/are just part of the way I think.
My comments were really aimed at someone coming at a Diploma exam without
having an A level and a degree in the subject first (!). A short time each day in the final straight "brushing up" over the last month or so can easily add up to at least 30 hours. However, the OP was not ". . . what did you do to prepare?" but ". . . what is the most effective way to prepare?". I am quite sure it is possible to pass without being quite so deliberate about it but if you want to be really effective in your preparation I wouldn't leave this to chance: Plan for it and timetable it.
Edit: I have just realized (I think) that the OP is taking the exam Tomorrow!
That puts a whole different time scale on the "what is the most effective way to prepare?" question, and is much simpler.
1. Get to sleep early & sleep well.
2. Don't miss breakfast (or lunch, or sufficient fluids)
3. If you have time (and notes) read through your viva notes in the morning.
4. Have a mouthful of something rich (e.g. chocolate) about half an hour before the exam - if voice or wind maybe longer.
5. Remember to take all your paperwork and music
6. Get to the venue in plenty of time.
7. Go to the loo in plenty of time
8. Warm up in the room they show you to.
9. Don't panic about the QS, in fact, don't panic about anything
10. Enjoy yourself.