Aug 9 2007, 03:20 PM
I currently teach a few flute pupils in my local area - I have been seeing one since September of last year, another after Christmas and my third started only a few weeks ago. The thing is, I will be moving away soon and am not sure what or when to tell the pupils. I'd like to give them as much notice as possible, however I don't know exactly what my timetable will be as the move depends on finding work in the new area etc., so we could be talking maybe in a month's time or I could still be here next year. I feel especially concerned for the newest pupil, he is very enthusiastic but I don't want him to get too used to me in case I'm not there for long. I intend finding a few suggestions for alternative teachers in order to ease things but it's still a dilemma!
Aug 9 2007, 03:24 PM
Surely best to wait until you know for sure? As you say it would be a shame to derail the new chap who has just started. As long as your pupils have a positive experience of lessons with you they shouldn't find it too hard to transfer to someone else. Unless you have some contractual obligation, there is no imperative for you to tell them anything yet, is there? If you tell them now and then don't move for ages, it will make the remaining lessons quite difficult for you and them, with a lot of uncertainty and not wanting to start something you can't finish etc. Probably better to carry on as normal until you have a definite finish date. I would consider a month perfectly adequate notice.
Good luck with your job hunt,
Aug 9 2007, 03:43 PM
Speaking as an adult learner, I'd say give them as much notice as possible once you know for sure.
My teacher gave me two weeks notice, and I found that very unprofessional. I sort of understand why she made that decision: we had lots of mutual friends, and she didn't want them to know, so she didn't tell me that she was moving.
It is very difficult to find a new teacher, especially if you really like the one you are with. I would have liked to have received more guidance from my old teacher about the new teachers that I was considering, but there just wasn't time.
Aug 9 2007, 07:37 PM
If you are confident that you can supply the pupils with a replacement tutor when the time comes, then I would be inclined to let them know now. I have a feeling that they will happily remain with you anyway until then and you will not have it hanging over you lesson to lesson in the meantime. Nice clear air for everyone. Just be as straight as you were here.
Aug 10 2007, 04:20 PM
I have a contractual agreement with all my pupils which says I'll give them a minimum of half-a-term's notice (if at all possible a term) if I need to stop lessons, unless that decision is brought about by unexpected emergency reasons.
If you don't have any such arrangement, you can say what you want really. However, I'd agree with others and, if nothing else, I think I'd drop them a formal note explaining that you expect at some point within the next 12 months you will be moving away from the area and will let them know when you know more. They may then decide to quit or they may stay but at least you'll have been honest with them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here