QUOTE(Miss Ross @ Jul 5 2009, 01:58 PM)
Gerald, I'm ok now but felt very funny for a few hours afterwards. It's a hard feeling to describe.
It was an electric fan... I was putting something on to a shelf near it and was avoiding going to close to it for fear of my hair getting caught up in it (of all things...) But somehow I managed to brush against it and there was a rather ominous 'cracking' sound and I felt really... I don't know, not 'tingly' but more extreme. I got the feeling that if I was to touch my hands together or something it might happen again, which I doubt could happen, but I felt that it was still going through my system, if that makes sense.
That's good news, I am glad you are better now. Electric shocks can be a more extreme form of tingling, and they run from the point of contact to the nearest earth. The worst possible case is when it comes in on one hand and goes out on the other, since it has to cross over the heart area. I am not a biologist, but I know many parts of the body function on minute electric currents, which is why when you give them a large one there are often unusual effects that can last a while.
So the thing to do now is get that fan unplugged with the socket switched off
and without touching it again
until power is removed, and get it PAT tested. If you can't get that done, get it properly scrapped. It really is not worth the risk.
QUOTE(Solari @ Jul 5 2009, 06:58 PM)
I've had quite a few electric shocks... a few years back I was installing a load of power supplies, and despite my colleague telling me he'd turned off the mains, I put my screwdriver on to one of the terminals to unscrew it and got a massive belt. Cue me being sent flying backwards - I didn't speak for hours and went white as a sheet.
Cue my geordie workmate calling me a "soft, southern p**f" for being generally traumatised as that was the biggest belt I'd ever had
You should consider yourself very lucky for surviving your accident. Nobody should have "quite a few electric shocks" - the first one should always be the last one. Which is another way of saying that if it doesn't kill you, you should make 100% sure the mains is off before touching electricity again.