Lady Rat, the one who had the big operation up-thread, when I took her in to the vet last week for a 'wound check', they noticed a lump on her face. Carry on with the antibiotics and come back in a week if it isn't better.
So on Monday we went in, and the vet was Not Happy. She thought it might
be an abscess, but as it was hard, not soft and squishy, perhaps not. Also, as the previous anaesthetic was quite recently, even doing a whiff of anaesthetic to investigate the lump was not ideal. So, we'll leave it until Friday, and then bring her in to have it poked at.
Just going to bed last night, and I notice a white-ish splodge near her eye. It could be bedding. It could be a bit of food. But I take her out to investigate, and it is a bit of 'ooze'. So I gently
pressed on the lump, and out came lots of gunk. Wiped it away, pressed again, lots more gunk. And again. And again. And again.
This is very pleasing because:
1) I am sure her ladyship is much more comfortable without all that gunk inside her face. She no longer looks like she has been thwacked with a baseball bat and has a normal shaped head
2) I think we can be sure it was
an abscess! While a facial abscess isn't entirely non-trivial, it's far better than a not-abscess-mystery-lump, which can pretty much only be a bad thing.
3) She doesn't need to go to the vet on Friday. Less stress the better, although she must be getting used to the travelling I don't think she entirely likes the car
4) She doesn't need anaesthesia - this is a Really Good Thing
5) I don't need to pay for a vet visit! This is of the least consideration, I'll pay whatever it costs (to give you some idea, her de-lump operation cost in the order of 20 times what she herself cost!) But it is still nice to have an expected expense taken away
And she let me have another little de-gunk of it this morning, and a little wash of the area
And as if all that weren't enough, I think my migraine is on the way out