If its alowed, I would like to have a rant and a moan about organ recitals.
I recently recived a booklet detailing Bath Abbeys organ recital series and out of over 20 recitals both lunchtime and evening I could find a single one that I wanted to go to.
Now I know that finding an organ recital where you like everyp piece isnt easy but here is why I didnt like any of the recitals on offer and what I dont like about recitals generally.
1. Most of them included Reubke - I wonder what piece by Reubke there playing? Erm I dont know lol, but In my opinion its over played.
2 . 3 words - Bach, Bach, BACH. Yes stop complaining that its not an organ recital because theres no bach in it. What the matter with all French works?
3. The following composers are not being played at all as part of the series - Sweelinck, Handel, Guilmant (i think) Hindemith - such lovely composers.
4. The following composers are being played at Bath and are often played in most organ recitals in England - Bach, Howells, Reubke, Liszt, Mendelssohn, Vierne, widor - its the same old composers.
5. Video screens in my opinion distract the viewer from listening to the music and in my opinion again are sometimes used to show off by saying ' look how fast my hands and feet are moving'
6. Lastly - i think its not about how 'flash' or 'showy' the piece is its about how well you can play it. You dont need a technically demanding and flashy piece to make people go 'WOW'