In my lesson today, my piano teacher told me about the fixed program of study, which was how she was taught herself. It contains the following structure:
1) Technical exercises: always Hanon, with bits of Czerny
2) BAROQUE: Bach: some inventions, then some sinfonias, then well tempered clavier
3) CLASSICAL: Clementi sonatinas, Kuhlau sonatinas and then Mozart/Beethoven sonatas
4) bits of romantic pieces including Schumann, Tchaikovsky and Chopin
5) any other pieces for more diversity
I was interested to learn how theres a fixed program of study, i.e. first the 2part inventions, then 3 part inventions and then well tempered clavier.
It certainly provides a great breath of variety and balance, as with my new teacher im working on about 3 pieces simultaneously from different composers and eras, rather than beating 1 to death on its own!
Does anyone else have a set program of piano study which involves set piano works?