adultpianist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • Member: 888829

Posted 09 January 2018 - 20:03

Just discovered.   Superb musician. Plays like an Angel

Emily Beynon is principal flute of the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, Amsterdam. Born in Wales, she began her flute studies as a junior at the Royal College of Music with Margaret Ogonovsky 

#2 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6791 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 11 January 2018 - 14:24

Emily Beynon is principal flute of the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, Amsterdam. Born in Wales, she began her flute studies as a junior at the Royal College of Music with Margaret Ogonovsky 

Sorry, I didn't like it much. Too much vibrato.

#3 adultpianist

adultpianist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 18:27

ok but that has not prevented her from playing principal flute in the above mentioned orchestra.  I have only just started the flute so I am not at a point where I could tell if she played with too much vibrato.   However she would have had to audition for the orchestra and they obviously agreed to take her on.

#4 adultpianist

adultpianist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 18:37

Maybe you like this one better.

#5 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6396 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 11 January 2018 - 21:08

ok but that has not prevented her from playing principal flute in the above mentioned orchestra.  I have only just started the flute so I am not at a point where I could tell if she played with too much vibrato.   However she would have had to audition for the orchestra and they obviously agreed to take her on.

It's simply a matter of taste - too much vibrato for some is not enough for others. For most instruments, there are famous/admired performers who many adore, but leave others completely cold.  It's the subjectivity of any art form - if you're happy with what you're doing, that's about all you can ask, because there is no way you are going to please all of the audience, all of the time :)

#6 adultpianist

adultpianist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 690 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 04:02

It's simply a matter of taste - too much vibrato for some is not enough for others. For most instruments, there are famous/admired performers who many adore, but leave others completely cold.  It's the subjectivity of any art form - if you're happy with what you're doing, that's about all you can ask, because there is no way you are going to please all of the audience, all of the time smile.png

You may be happy with what you are doing but what you are doing may not be correct.   I play piano and sometimes I am happy with what I am doing but my teacher tells me I am doing a certain technique wrong and she shows me the correct way to do it.   It is mainly to do with fingering because incorrect fingering puts stress on the fingers and hands and the more you do it the less easy it is to break the bad fingering.  But you are right.   There are some really highly trained musicians that I do not like and some that I do like and it is a mistake for anyone to say "but how can you not like xx"     its all down to taste

#7 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6396 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 12 January 2018 - 08:01

You're right that there is definitely right and wrong in technique.  Interpretation is where it gets messy.  My words were kind of inspired by a conversation I had recently with an artist friend of mine.  He has entered competitions a few times, and has sometimes been left wondering exactly what the winner had done to be the winner, because he couldn't work out why that winner was 'better' than others in the competition.  And then he won a competition, and still couldn't work out why the winner (i.e. his work) was better than any of the other works!  So that was when he decided to really stick to 'if I'm happy with it, it's good' and no longer worry about what audiences or judges thought, because it was impossible to predict or understand their reactions :D