#1 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 927 posts
  • Member: 76027

Posted 13 September 2017 - 20:46

Whilst I note that there is no mandatory requirement to fill in the gender box on the entry form, ...... it is still there....and with only two options. I'm wondering if that's acceptable nowadays.

Should there be a box to tick for gender at all? Or should other options be available? What purpose does the indication of gender serve?

#2 jpiano

jpiano

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1994 posts
  • Member: 1270

Posted 13 September 2017 - 21:47

Don't know why it's there- is it monitoring of equal opportunities maybe? But if it's not mandatory then if not everyone is filling it out it wouldn't give an accurate picture anyway. I did have exactly the same thought as you  about the binary gender division as well. 

#3 linda.ff

linda.ff

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7799 posts
  • Member: 183500
  • Cambridge

Posted 14 September 2017 - 10:44

Two reasons spring to mind - one is statistical, so it's the same reason as some forms ask for ethnic group. The other reason is that with so many students from all parts of the world it may not be easy to tell from the name - and that's true of lots of home-grown names as well: we had Shannons and Taylors, Berries and Leighs, Rowans and Charlies in my school for both boys and girls - and any communication with the applicant, for instance, could lead to confusion if the board needs to comment on some issue regarding the candidate and says "Tavin played grade 2 pieces but the scales she was asked for were grade 3" when Tavin is actually a boy.

#4 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:03

It's an increasingly thorny issue and I expect that gender options will disappear from most official forms. I suppose there are other ways of referring to the candidate which are non gender specific.

#5 linda.ff

linda.ff

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7799 posts
  • Member: 183500
  • Cambridge

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:09

It's an increasingly thorny issue and I expect that gender options will disappear from most official forms. I suppose there are other ways of referring to the candidate which are non gender specific.

But while gender fluidity is becoming more and more of an issue, isn't it true that the overwhelming majority of people for whom it's not straightforward still prefer to identify as male or female? Yes, I know there are a few, but how many "former men" now say they want to be "they" or "it" or some other pronoun, rather than wishing henceforth to be "she"?

#6 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 927 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 11:18

That's true enough, and I suppose there's no issue if they are allowed to identify as the gender they believe themselves to be as opposed to what may be on their birth certificate. Of course, statistically they are a nonsense, as stated previously, since filling them in isn't mandatory. This whole issue is a problem which no doubt will require lengthy re education across many sectors of society.... recently I was having a discussion with my solicitor as he had drawn up our wills and of course the terms 'testator' and 'testatrix' were still in use. He did say he had come across people who considered themselves to be neither, so there certainly are those who don't wish to be labelled as either 'he' or 'she'.