#32 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7419 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 21 February 2019 - 16:40

Shouldn't the spelling discussion be in the Pedant's Paradise thread?

#33 Stephen Barber

Stephen Barber

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Member: 69976

Posted 21 February 2019 - 19:11

It's not the done thing to correct grammar/spelling in emails/posts etc. Most mistakes are caused by typing at speed anyway.

However, as a self-confessed pedant I used to insist continually on the correct spelling of practise/practice when I was teaching (retired now biggrin.png). My pupils didn't always learn much from me, but they did get regularly reminded of the difference between a noun and a verb!

Personally, I would expect a music teacher to be able to spell the words practice and practise correctly in a practice book or report, just as I would expect them to spell Bach or Mozart correctly. I think parents are unhappy to read school reports that are illiterate.

I have to admit that I now spend my life in an almost permanent state of grumpiness due to the widespread grammatical ignorance which abounds and about which none seem to care! (And many other things!)

#34 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3396 posts
  • Member: 711500

Posted 21 February 2019 - 19:30

One word a piano teacher should learn to spell is "separately" . I have seen this written incorrectly many times in inherited pupils' notebooks.