#1 sheephops

sheephops

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Member: 896031
  • Warwickshire

Posted 15 May 2019 - 20:54

Just trying to keep the discussion going. It's VERY quiet around here.

I'm planning an FRSM for the end of the year, I think. Want to get it in before a BIG birthday in spring of next year.

Have just started writing a few bits for the written submission so it's ready to submit after checking and proofing for September. Difficult to fit it all in and work full-time, but really enjoying the writing and research.

What's everyone else got in the pipeline?

#2 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6083 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 15 May 2019 - 21:43

ATCL, piano, end July.

Bach- French Suite in G

Debussy- Menuet from Suite Bergamasque

Debussy- Sarabande from Pour Le Piano

Dello Joio- Suite For Piano

#3 becksloane

becksloane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Member: 898549

Posted 15 May 2019 - 22:39

Just discussed my FRSM programme with my teacher only today Bach Partita no 6 Beethoven Op109 and poss Chopin Sonata in B minor. As I'm doing a PhD it will be slow going but think I'll enjoy these pieces.

#4 sheephops

sheephops

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Member: 896031
  • Warwickshire

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:59

Just discussed my FRSM programme with my teacher only today Bach Partita no 6 Beethoven Op109 and poss Chopin Sonata in B minor. As I'm doing a PhD it will be slow going but think I'll enjoy these pieces.

Love this!

#5 Wai Kit Leung

Wai Kit Leung

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  • Member: 160

Posted 16 May 2019 - 13:04

The Bach Partita in E minor seems to be a popular choice among FRSM piano performance candidates. I have a friend who played it for his FRSM and a student who was planning on playing it for her projected FRSM.

#6 Dr. Rogers

Dr. Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Member: 898997

Posted 16 May 2019 - 13:07

Greetings, all.  This is my first post in the Diplomas forum.  I'm a music teacher, and I'm hoping to do some diplomas to improve my skills and gain some additional qualifications.  (But here in Texas, most potential students/parents have never heard of music exams, so I don't know how much the qualification part will help me.)

I am taking my Grade 8 next Friday (a week and one day, yikes) but I'm not very worried about it.  I have worked my tail off and I feel as prepared for this exam as I ever have been for any other exam in my life.  I may not get distinction, but I should at least pass comfortably.

I am very fortunate to have a retired conservatory professor living in the neighborhood, just a short walk from my house.  She has been advising and coaching me as I advance as a player and a teacher. Her daughter is the Trinity representative, but since I have been working with ABRSM (taking exams myself and submitting students) she advised me to stick with that board.  She suggested that I take the new ARSM exam (which she and I both see as something in the ballpark of Trinity's Advanced Certificate), so I have been putting together a prospective program on the side, playing some of these pieces as warmups before my serious G8 practice, or when I get sick and tired of the G8 pieces.

Here is my proposed ARSM program.  I would appreciate any constructive feedback you might have.

• J. S. Bach - Prelude and Fugue in F minor from WTC I, BWV 857 (I love this prelude and fugue)
  • Beethoven - Sonata in E, Op.14 no.1 (a nice sonata, not Beethoven's finest but neither is it overplayed and I already some of it)
  • Chopin - Mazurka in C# minor, Op.50 no.3 (not my favourite Chopin, but it's really growing on me - some nice counterpoint)
  • Debussy - Bruyères

I figure that gives me a nice balance in time period, mood, and tonality.  I also like that the Baroque piece is lyrical whereas the Romantic piece is dance-like!  The Bach, Beethoven, and Chopin are all from the syllabus; the Debussy is Own Choice.

Question: what do you folks think about the level of difficulty of the Bruyères?  Is it difficult enough for ARSM?  The ARSM syllabus states that "up to 10 minutes of music can be own-choice repertoire (of Grade 8 standard or above)."  It was on the AMEB Grade 8 syllabus some time ago, so I figured I could justify it that way if the need arose.  It's certainly not one of Debussy's more difficult pieces (even among the preludes) but the challenge is mostly in the interpretation.

Again, any constructive feedback would be appreciated.

#7 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17569 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 16 May 2019 - 13:41

ATCL, piano, end July.

Bach- French Suite in G

Good luck Corenfa.

#8 Invidia

Invidia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • Member: 12564
  • London

Posted 16 May 2019 - 14:56

Question: what do you folks think about the level of difficulty of the Bruyères?  Is it difficult enough for ARSM?  The ARSM syllabus states that "up to 10 minutes of music can be own-choice repertoire (of Grade 8 standard or above)."  It was on the AMEB Grade 8 syllabus some time ago, so I figured I could justify it that way if the need arose.  It's certainly not one of Debussy's more difficult pieces (even among the preludes) but the challenge is mostly in the interpretation.

Again, any constructive feedback would be appreciated.

It was on the ABRSM syllabus when I took Grade 8 (2001-2002 period), so definitely the right standard.

ATCL, piano, end July.

Bach- French Suite in G

Good luck corenfa!

Trying to combine musical life with academic life is tough right? I'm trying to get an LTCL/LRSM programme together whilst also putting together a PhD research proposal (for applications, I haven't been accepted anywhere yet). I never seem to have as much time for either as I'd like! 

#9 Dr. Rogers

Dr. Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 15:44

> It was on the ABRSM syllabus when I took Grade 8 (2001-2002 period), so definitely the right standard.

Excellent!  That settles much of my doubts about that piece.

becksloane and Invidia, what are your research topics?  I finished my PhD back in 2010 - I couldn't imagine preparing for a diploma on any instrument while working on a PhD.  (I had a full time job, a part time job, and also a light music teaching load while I did my graduate work part time - and needless to say, no social life to speak of.)  To misquote the great Hercule Poiroit, my sympathy is with all who work on their PhDs.

#10 becksloane

becksloane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 15:52

Dr Rogers Invidia my formal application is in waiting confirmation. It's not music related so the FRSM will be a relaxing (?) Break from the PhD. I plan to trundle it along in the background and go full throttle once PhD finished. Well it's a plan!

#11 Invidia

Invidia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts
  • Member: 12564
  • London

Posted 16 May 2019 - 18:16

My topic is around inter-relations between nomadic/tribal groups in medieval northeast Asia. The most famous of which being the Mongols of course.

becksloane- I'd like to be in that position too (i.e. working on repertoire in the background so I can take the dip. exam after PhD). So trying to finalise a program before things get hectic!

What was your PhD topic Dr Rogers?

#12 Dr. Rogers

Dr. Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 18:33

My topic is around inter-relations between nomadic/tribal groups in medieval northeast Asia. The most famous of which being the Mongols of course.

becksloane- I'd like to be in that position too (i.e. working on repertoire in the background so I can take the dip. exam after PhD). So trying to finalise a program before things get hectic!

What was your PhD topic Dr Rogers?

That sounds like a fascinating topic - I've always found Mongol history to be fascinating.  (And I always enjoy viewing the Yuan Dynasty artifacts at Taiwan's National Palace Museum.)  But I just enjoy reading history books and watching documentaries - nothing too academic.

My dissertation had the witty, engaging title of "Designing Cost-Effective Secure Processors for Embedded Systems: Principles, Challenges, and Architectural Solutions".  My degree was in Computer Engineering, and my research was about hardware-based solutions for increasing the security of embedded systems with power, memory, and performance constraints.

So my PhD is in engineering, but I've never taught engineering.  I started teaching piano before I started college, and I've been teaching various instruments ever since.

#13 becksloane

becksloane

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 18:43

Wow! fantastic topic.im hoping to look at the WW1 Military nurses autograph books (QAIMNS). I'm a retire QA and fascinated with all things WW1.

#14 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17569 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 16 May 2019 - 19:19

The Bach Partita in E minor seems to be a popular choice among FRSM piano performance candidates. I have a friend who played it for his FRSM and a student who was planning on playing it for her projected FRSM.

Nice programme, though Id rather do Op110.

#15 Fazioligirl

Fazioligirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Member: 893432
  • Kent

Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:45

Have just heard that I’ve passed my ATCL so am now starting to think about putting together a programme for the LTCL although it will no doubt be a few years in the preparation! Thinking along the lines of maybe some Scarlatti as I did the Bach G major French Suite for my ATCL, a Mozart sonata maybe, Chopin G minor Ballade and Debussy’s Toccata from Pour le Piano. I did the Sarabande from this for my ATCL and wanted to learn the rest so it’s in my bucket list. Maybe the Takemitsu for something modern? So many decisions!