2 replies to this topic

#1 [email protected]

[email protected]

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Member: 894810

Posted 08 February 2016 - 20:06

I do research in piano practice - to make it more efficient. 

Do you have any interesting piano practice tricks?

#2 sam93

sam93

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Member: 892964

Posted 11 February 2016 - 21:25

Is there any particular piano practice methods you'd like to discuss? :) 

This one's useful! For Scales/Arpeggios, I've got them all written on flash cards and choose them at random. I find this really useful because you when choosing yourself you obviously lean towards the ones you're good at, and your weaker scales get neglected. With this technique you really begin to see which scales need the most work, plus it's useful for exam takers because they get called it random in an exam situation. 

#3 linda.ff

linda.ff

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8034 posts
  • Member: 183500
  • Cambridge

Posted 11 February 2016 - 22:12

Is there any particular piano practice methods you'd like to discuss? :)

This one's useful! For Scales/Arpeggios, I've got them all written on flash cards and choose them at random. I find this really useful because you when choosing yourself you obviously lean towards the ones you're good at, and your weaker scales get neglected. With this technique you really begin to see which scales need the most work, plus it's useful for exam takers because they get called it random in an exam situation. 

I have a second reason for recommending doing them at random.I draw up a chart of the scales for the grade, in six columns (0 for grade 5) labelled LH 1 octave, RH 1 octave, HT 1 octave and then the same with 2 octaves. I tell them they MUST do scales every day even if they think they haven't got time to do anything else. They should use a dice or some other method of randomising, and work across the row for whatever scale comes up: first time across they should just make sure they have played the scale correctly twice - not even twice in a row, Once the row is completed, they should start again, but make sure they play it right twice in succession.

The reason for doing it at random is that if you decide to start at the top and gradually work your way through it, frankly you will probably abandon it, because there will always be this long list of scales still to do and you will worry about whether you will ever get there - it's demoralising. Using random means you stop fretting about what you haven't done yet because it might be what comes up next. Plus of curse it's quite fun - what will Father Christmas bring you next? (Apart from the Empty Box for Daddy of course :P ), 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: piano practice, efficient, research