andante_in_c

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10721 posts
  • Member: 130
  • Hampshire, UK

Posted 07 December 2018 - 12:16

I'm hoping I'm not jumping the gun as I haven't yet received my Grade 8 result, but I'm beginning to think about what to learn next. I have a few ideas, and will be having a lesson on Tuesday to get some suggestions from my teacher, but the piano repertoire is so vast it won't hurt to have other suggestions too.

I am interested in suggestions for technical pieces and etudes as well as for more lyrical pieces, sonatas etc. The pieces don't all have to be post-Grade 8 in difficulty, and I would be very interested in a collection of smaller pieces that make up a whole (like, for example, a suite) so that I can learn individual movements over time.

My taste is wide, but I am limited to pieces that can be played with small hands. I'm fine with covering big stretches between notes, but chords are a challenge if the interval is more than an octave.

Looking forward to your replies! Everything will be taken into consideration. :)

#2 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17198 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 07 December 2018 - 13:41

Some of the Schumann suites of pieces maybe,  The most approachable is 'Waldscenen' (Forest Scenes) -9 pieces, several of which have been Grade 8 but nothing higher. Then move on to 'Papillons', or  'Davisbundlertanze' , 'Faschingschwank aus Wien' 'Fantasiestucke'  and eventually the whole of 'Carnival' 

Shostakovich 24 Preludes Op 34, maybe later some of the Preludes and Fugues Op87

Prokofiev   'Visions Fugitifs'  (There 20 short pieces)   . There are other sets of short pieces by him also

Bartok  '15 Hungarian Folk Dances'

Four ideas off the top of my head!

#3 andante_in_c

andante_in_c

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10721 posts
  • Hampshire, UK

Posted 07 December 2018 - 14:02

Thanks, F#m. I have the Shostakovich op. 34 Preludes and they were exactly the sort of thing I was thinking of. The Schumann is an idea - I'll have a browse! I don't know the Bartok, but that sounds good too. The Prokofiev 'Visions Fugitifs' I have seen on past exam syllabuses have all been too stretchy for me, but I'll take another look.

#4 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19764 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 07 December 2018 - 15:18

I was wondering about the Poulenc Nocturnes, but maybe I need to have a re-check for stretchy chords first!

#5 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17198 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 15:53

Thanks, F#m. I have the Shostakovich op. 34 Preludes and they were exactly the sort of thing I was thinking of. The Schumann is an idea - I'll have a browse! I don't know the Bartok, but that sounds good too. The Prokofiev 'Visions Fugitifs' I have seen on past exam syllabuses have all been too stretchy for me, but I'll take another look

I have been working on Fasch'######  (did it on weekend course) and there are some awkward stretches in that.

#6 jch48

jch48

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Member: 25823
  • East Midlands

Posted 07 December 2018 - 16:32

Highlights from my big list of a few years ago..

Bach: various mvmts from Partitas, Prelude and Fugues

Beethoven: Complete sonata F minor, G major in book 1
Brahms: easier ones from op 116-119

Chopin: Nocturnes

Debussy: Arabesque or easier preludes, images

Rachamninov: E flat prelude from op 23

Schubert: lots - impromptus, moments musicaux

Grieg: Notturno

#7 Clovis

Clovis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Member: 892962

Posted 07 December 2018 - 16:40

Bartok 6 Dances in Bulgarian Rhythm (Mikrokosmos VI)? Quite technical, particularly at speed, and great fun to play.

How about some Scarlatti sonatas too? The two Schirmer volumes ed Kirkpatrick have a good selection.

#8 andante_in_c

andante_in_c

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10721 posts
  • Hampshire, UK

Posted 07 December 2018 - 16:52

Thanks for all your suggestions. I have quite a few of the items mentioned (Scarlatti, Brahms and Bartok Mikrokosmos) so will dig them out and have a play.

The Poulenc Nocturnes sound lovely, maggiemay. I'd appreciate it if you would give them the once-over for stretchiness, as I don't want to waste money (especially the amount you have to pay for French music!) if I find I can't play them.

Any suggestions for more technical pieces, etudes etc. ?

#9 Clovis

Clovis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Member: 892962

Posted 08 December 2018 - 17:00

Chopin's 3 nouvelles etudes (usually printed at the back of the main set of Etudes) are lovely and not so daunting as the others. Hand size is not an issue for these.

You can't go wrong with a Bach prelude and fugue either.

#10 andante_in_c

andante_in_c

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10721 posts
  • Hampshire, UK

Posted 08 December 2018 - 17:54

Thanks, Clovis. Having just played a Bach P&F for Grade 8, I'd love to learn another but I think I'll tackle something different first. The Chopin sounds like an interesting idea, and I'll certainly have a look at those.

I've dug out my copy of Mikrokosmos and have been having fun with the Dances in Bulgarian Rhythm. I really like them and they are the sort of piece that I can get a feel for quite quickly. :)

#11 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1177 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 08 December 2018 - 18:45

Are Schumann's Kreisleriana, Op. 16 and Fantasie in C, Op. 17 too ambitious choices? Some big-span chords admittedly.  (Sorry, they're among two of my many faviourite piano pieces.)

#12 stork

stork

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Member: 897622

Posted 08 December 2018 - 21:03

Kats-Chernin rags (some c. G8, some a little harder)

Weber Rondo 'Perpetuum Mobile'

Chopin Fantaisie-Impromptu

Mendelssohn Songs without Words

Scriabin preludes (some more approachable than others, some easier with big hands despite the composer having small ones)

#13 andante_in_c

andante_in_c

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10721 posts
  • Hampshire, UK

Posted 08 December 2018 - 22:34

Thanks, stork. Lots of ideas that are new to me there.  :)

#14 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17198 posts

Posted 09 December 2018 - 14:53

Id endorse the Songs without Words.  There are 48 and go from a few easy ones (Grade 5) right into Dip territory. One you might like is the A flat one subtitled 'Duetto' (Op38 no6) It  has been in Grade 8 recently.  There are two in G Minor (Op53 No 3) and A Minor (Op38 No 5) which are fun also at that sort of level.

Scriabin The Op11 set is a good place to start . I like no 2 , about Gr7 level

#15 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5986 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 10 December 2018 - 03:50

I was wondering about the Poulenc Nocturnes, but maybe I need to have a re-check for stretchy chords first!

The first and last ones are manageable with small hands- I can play them and I have small hands