56 replies to this topic

#1 Flutery

Flutery

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Member: 895537

Posted 03 May 2017 - 10:30

I would love to read some flute posts on the forum, where is everyone?
After passing grade 5 in December I am now looking at grade 6 pieces, but I don't want to rush into taking the exam. There is such a lot of wonderful flute music around grade 5/6 to explore, I'm really enjoying working on Gaubert Madrigal and Caplet Reverie at present. I also have the ABRSM and Trinity grade 6 books, really good pieces in them too.
Happy fluting to all flute players out there.

#2 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5231 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 03 May 2017 - 11:36

Hi Flutery  :wave:

This particular flute player is submerged under a welter of violin music for a concert next month, so fluting is going along a bit more slowly. I'm working on a couple of Grade 7 pieces on the current syllabus (Popp's Allegro non troppo from Sonata in E minor and Bach's Gigue) and feeling miffed that my lesson was cancelled yesterday.

The Gaubert Madrigal is gorgeous, although I don't remember doing the Caplet, so perhaps that's one I should look at. It's a shame to miss out any of the wonderful pieces available at this level. There's a Caplet piece on the G7 lists too, but it's in Db major..... :wacko: .

Also, just for fun, I'm looking at Dance of the Snowmen, which is a glorious romp (although with a couple of eek moments near the end).

Are you planning to take G6? I think my G6 exam was probably my last as the examiner rattled me a bit and made me feel panicky, so although I passed it I don't think I will take G7. Too scary by far!!

#3 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1131 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted 03 May 2017 - 18:40

Flute's getting a bit squeezed at the moment as I've just started learning harp and somehow have to find time to practice piano too ...
Luckily I'd already got a couple of pieces underway! Will play New York, New York in a concert of film music next week, and am learning Piazzolla's Oblivion as a duet. Am doing the last two variations of the Chopin/ Rossini, with no hope of getting the last one allegro assaii in the forseeable future but I couldn't even attempt it two years ago. Want to have a go at the Czardas by Monti when I've got a bit more time in the summer holidays - we'll see!

#4 Flutery

Flutery

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 May 2017 - 19:34

Hi Misterioso and dorfmouse, it's lovely to read your posts and see what you are working on at the moment. Yes Misterioso, I do intend to take grade 6. Taking grade 5 was such an achievement, it was really nerve wracking, I honestly thought I'd failed, but it gave me great satisfaction and that goal to work towards which I seem to need to spur me on. I didn't learn an instrument as a child, always wanted to but the opportunity never arose and we couldn't have afforded it anyway ( I had half an hour ballet class for 3/9d each week and that was my lot). It is wonderful to able to have flute lessons, make progress, albeit slower than if I was a young person, and really enjoy playing with some musical friends. I do doubt that I will ever get as far as grade 8, but then again I probably thought grade 5 was an impossible dream when I first started learning. I'm sorry to read that you had a bad experience at grade 6 Misterioso, I agree it can be very off putting. I used Trinity and couldn't have had a nicer examiner.
The Caplet Reverie is a lovely piece, yes you must try it. I don't like the sound of the Db major Caplet one though lol.

Congratulations on beginning to play the harp dorfmouse, what a gorgeous sound, I hope you really enjoy it. Playing three instruments is quite a challenge but it's something you've just got to do. Life is too short! The Piazzolla sounds great and the Monti, good luck breaking the back of Chopin/Rossini variations. Isn't it really rewarding being able to play something that you thought impossible?
I often buy the flute music of CDs that I love, far too advanced for me at the moment I know. I've got Quantz, Frederick the Great and Benda....and I can now play the Adagio and Arioso movements.

Good luck with your concerts both of you. Sorry I can't do emojis on my ipad.

#5 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5231 posts
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 09 May 2017 - 13:19

I think my G6 exam was probably my last as the examiner rattled me a bit and made me feel panicky, so although I passed it I don't think I will take G7. Too scary by far!!

So why, oh why, am I now thinking about Grade 7?  :headdesk:    

Please, someone, tell me I don't really want to do it. :wacko:

Has the revamp of the wind / woodwind syllabus affected scale requirements?

#6 Flutery

Flutery

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 18:49

I'm excited to read that you're thinking of grade 7 Misterioso. Yes it's daunting, especially after your last exam experience, but go for it! I'll be sticking with Trinity so don't know what the new ABRSM syllabus changes will be, sorry. Hope you do decide to take grade 7, please keep us posted.

#7 randomsabreur

randomsabreur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Member: 72272
  • Shropshire - the empty bit!

Posted 09 May 2017 - 18:57

I am in the good old catch 22 that I can't seem to practise without a deadline but can't create any deadlines. I play in a couple of the Film Orchestra wind bands and my church worship group. Plus an occasional flute choir. Church thing I don't really enjoy and do out of duty as I probably wouldn't get to church anyway without it (Toddler is nearly 2...) and tends to involve a lot of transposition (sometimes on the hoof, sometimes in advance) of modern church music I don't really enjoy but playing it is definitely preferable to singing it in the congregation.

Bands both require a bit of practice as they're a decent level but getting the chance to play solo repertoire is a bit difficult and toddler mood dependent...

Vaguely looking at Rodriguez Fantasia Para un Gentilhombre, Syrinx and 50 Classical Studies when I get a chance but mostly get as far as a quick flit through scales and my favourite circle of 5ths arpeggio thingy before the bombardment of soft (and not so soft) toys becomes too much.

Next exam would be Trinity Advanced Certificate, ARSM or Dip ABRSM and clearly won't happen until a practice routine can kick in!

Sorry for the whinge - really frustrated with myself for not just getting on with everything and instead being climbing frame for grumpy toddler!

#8 randomsabreur

randomsabreur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 09 May 2017 - 18:58

Quite looking forward to investigating the new syllabi - found some gems to play with one the 6,7 and 8 lists in the past!

#9 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41570 posts
  • Member: 5804
  • South East London

Posted 10 May 2017 - 08:17

Quite looking forward to investigating the new syllabi - found some gems to play with one the 6,7 and 8 lists in the past!

First thing I do when the new syllabi for clarinet and flute come out is find all the music I've not played before from 1-8 and play it through. I'm going to be busy this summer...

#10 LearnerFlute

LearnerFlute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Member: 127255

Posted 11 May 2017 - 11:19

Hi,

I haven't been in here much.

I need to practice more as I have my Trinity grade 8 coming up in July!

Selected pieces are:
Waltz (Rutter)
Concerto no. 2 in G minor (Vivaldi)
Syrinx (Debussy)

Also I'm doing orchestral extracts instead of scales.

I just want to get it over with now. I don't know why I thought the Waltz was a good idea. I am going to burn my copy as soon as the exam is over!

LearnerFlute

#11 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5231 posts
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 11 May 2017 - 16:45

Hi,

Selected pieces are:
Waltz (Rutter)
Syrinx (Debussy)

I just want to get it over with now. I don't know why I thought the Waltz was a good idea. I am going to burn my copy as soon as the exam is over!

LearnerFlute

Ooh, congrats on having the courage to take a crack at this. The Syrinx is very &$%^)"?£!!!! We never seem to get the chance to do Trinity here, and I never have enough of my own candidates to do a visit on my own.

Do you think the orchestral extracts are easier than the scales? Hope you can manage to live with the Rutter until July!  :unsure:

#12 Flossie

Flossie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6994 posts
  • Member: 52007
  • N.E. England

Posted 11 May 2017 - 23:31

Do you think the orchestral extracts are easier than the scales? 

I think that the orchestral extracts are more demanding technically.  However, you can play them with the music rather than from memory, and I think this makes a lot of people feel more secure.  Also you go in to the exam knowing exactly how you will play each extract (you prepare 3 and then play one of your choice plus one of the examiner's choice) whereas with scales you have to respond on the day to instructions about dynamics and articulation.  

I find mixed articulation scales an absolute pain on flute because the match between the notes and articulation changes with each octave.  The articulation in violin/viola scales makes much more sense to me because each bow (or series of bows) matches the octaves.  I like to think of scales in octaves and find that this doesn't work for mixed articulation flute scales.  

#13 Flossie

Flossie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6994 posts
  • Member: 52007
  • N.E. England

Posted 12 May 2017 - 00:00

Hi,

Selected pieces are:
Waltz (Rutter)
Syrinx (Debussy)

LearnerFlute

You have been working on the Waltz for a long time (I'm pretty sure we talked about the piece a couple of years ago!) so it has probably gone stale.  If you overdo a piece it can actually start going downhill because it loses its life if you get totally fed up with it.  What does your teacher think about it?  How badly do you actually hate it?  

If you really don't like the Waltz, have you got a copy of the Hindemith, York Bowen or Kennan? Any of these could replace the Rutter and keep a balanced programme (the Hindemith would be particularly good in this respect).  It might be worth trying one of them for a couple of weeks (or dusting it off if you have learnt it previously) and seeing if you enjoy it more - the piece would probably peak nicely at the right time for your exam.  When I did grade 8, I started a new piece less than a month before the exam - this might sound scary, and it isn't what's normally recommended, but it can sometimes be the best thing to do.  The Boehm thing I had been doing was fluent and technically secure, but I had got fed up with it and it just didn't have the life it needed for a good performance.  I changed to one of the Mower options and, even though I only had 3 lessons on it, the change was the right decision - the Mower wasn't quite as secure technically but it gave a better performance.  

#14 randomsabreur

randomsabreur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:27

I did a similar switch in my G8. Dropped my A piece about 4 weeks out swapping for the Mozart Rondo (AB). It just clicked into place very easily to my great surprise!

#15 Flutery

Flutery

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 12 May 2017 - 11:47

Welcome back LearnerFlute! I'm totally in awe of you taking grade 8 in July, well done. I understand completely about burning the piece afterwards, I felt the same about the Risoluto I played in grade 5, thoroughly sick to death of it and it did start getting worse the more I played it, Flossie is absolutely right. Wish I'd looked at a couple of alternatives but my teacher told me to soldier on with it. I agree that chosing the alternative to scales and having the music to read during the exam is so much better, for me at any rate. The technical exercises for grade 5 weren't at all easier than scales and I'll definitely choose the Orchestral Excerpts for grade 6.