#16 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 27 June 2019 - 07:12

I don't mind trying aural tests, even singing (tough luck to the poor examiner who has to listen to me, that's my philosophy!) but I don't see how sight singing has anything to do with "aural". Aural is about the ability to listen, I believe. So other than listening to yourself make a noise on an instrument that probably isn't your choice, I don't see how sight singing falls under that description.

Of course if I do do ABRSM exams in the future, I will fully embrace that, and get myself to the standard required, and anyway, it would be a nice thing to be able to do. I just don't see it as part of an aural test, and I can really understand those who feel embarrassed or particularly worried about it. I think ABRSM should find different tests to measure the skills they're looking for.

#17 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7663 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 27 June 2019 - 08:28

I think the AB see the sight singing test as "aural" in the sense that to do it you need to hear in your head the sound you have to produce. I have mixed feelings about aural "tests" in examinations but not enough time today to express them. As far as aural awareness in general is concerned I have no mixed feelings. I am all for developing it as part of learning to play an instrument.

#18 KathyB

KathyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Member: 487205

Posted 04 July 2019 - 09:36

I had a girl who I thought was going to give up piano completely after grade 1 just because of the aural tests.
Her eyes lit up when I said there was an alternative where you didn’t have to do any aural tests. She has really enjoyed Trinity with less scales and the technical exercises. Grade 2 is next week so hoping for a good mark.

#19 HelenVJ

HelenVJ

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2185 posts
  • Member: 1265
  • South-East London ( OK - Penge)

Posted 04 July 2019 - 12:26

Yes, Trinity has been a godsend for many of my students - a far more enjoyable, yet equally valid, musical experience. The anxiety induced by aural and sight-reading tests used to detract enormously. Now there is more time to focus on actually making music.

Having said that, I believe that aural training is fundamental. We do it from the first lesson when introducing concepts such as high/low, fast/slow, up'down etc. Although I give students the choice of whether or not to sight-read ( in the exam - of course they learn reading skills during the lessons!), they do all tackle the aural tests without much problem.