Piano Meg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Member: 271350
  • T' North

Posted 18 April 2019 - 20:25

I was wondering... how do you all give exam certificates to private pupils?

I generally just give certificates/comments sheets to pupils at their next lesson, but I know one time a parent took the certificate into school so it could also be presented at assembly. Do others sneak certificates to parents to allow for a more exciting 'reveal' at an assembly, or do what I do, or something else? I don't want to be short-changing pupils!

#2 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3509 posts
  • Member: 711500

Posted 18 April 2019 - 20:33

I do what you do, but at the private school I work at, certificates are given out in assembly. The children know their results before this however. I remember years ago, teachers used to put their results in the local paper.

#3 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7573 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 18 April 2019 - 21:20

I read the comment sheets to them in the lesson after the results. I also announce them at the end of year concert and get the audience to applaud. The certificates usually arrive during the summer holiday.  In the autumn term I set aside a Saturday afternoon for a "Presentation Ceremony."  The candidates bring along their parents, brothers and sisters and any interested friends and I give them a tea party and I  give out the certificates and a translation of the reports  and i take a group photo. Sometimes we some of them  offer to play a piece so we have a sort of mini concert as well. it's all good fun and encouraging for the younger ones who haven't yet taken an exam.

#4 Piano Meg

Piano Meg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  • Member: 271350
  • T' North

Posted 22 April 2019 - 15:13

Thanks for the replies.

I don't have enough pupils who do exams to make an event of it (or certainly not in the same term), so I guess I'll just stick to what I was doing!

If more pupils do exams in the future, I like the presentation/ concert idea.biggrin.png

#5 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22932 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 23 April 2019 - 18:19

I also go over the comments in the lesson and give them the comments and certificate in the lesson.

If they want it presenting in school assembly they take it to school themselves.

#6 BabyGrand

BabyGrand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts
  • Member: 144315
  • UK

Posted 25 April 2019 - 23:15

I also go over the comments in the lesson and give them the comments and certificate in the lesson.

If they want it presenting in school assembly they take it to school themselves.

Same here.  I encourage them to do that, and sometimes the school lets them play one of their pieces for their class / assembly too, which is nice.  

I sometimes present exam certificates at our student concert, but often they haven't arrived yet so I can't!  

#7 The Great Sosso

The Great Sosso

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Member: 887899

Posted 26 April 2019 - 15:20

I have the certificate perched on the music stand when they come into their lesson.  I like seeing their little faces light up when they clock it.  

Then we will go through the marks/comments sheet but I often find they don't really want to dwell on what it says, so I keep a copy of it to inform ares we might need to work on. 

TGS X