25 replies to this topic

#1 pianoviolinmum

pianoviolinmum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Member: 895582

Posted 16 April 2019 - 08:10

As a response to "Is anyone out there?" (thanks non troppo) I thought I'd ask what teachers are upvto in their Easter hols. Aware that for some (e.g. Scotland) those hols have now ended.

I am visiting my mum in a care home, and packed Ta Ra Ra Boom de Ay si I can play some music to her and perhaps others. I also packed Piano by Ear (Lucunda Mackworth Young) so I can read it on the train as well as perhaps sitting at the piano if I get a moment on my own. Would love to be able to take requests in a care home or similar - I never leared to play by ear or improvise.

Should also have packed my hymn book as I love playing those, and many older people sing hymns when they can remember little else. Last memories of my father include him sunging the solo in Once in Royal David's City when the carol singers' small boy soloist stopped singing durung their Christmas care home visit.

Sure I remember a post somewhere about getting pianists into care homes, and the necessary DBS checks.

Happy Easter!

#2 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3491 posts
  • Member: 711500

Posted 16 April 2019 - 08:25

A friend of mine is very involved in Mindsong which is a charity which takes singing into homes with residents with dementia. At the beginning of the holidays she organized a series of short concerts to raise money for this. I did one with lots of animal, bird and insect pieces . I had great fun going through all my music and choosing my pieces.
Have also visited my mother, not in a care home but needing carers in her own home several times a day. And this week is getting jobs done which I don't have time for in term time. Today's job is defrosting the freezer. Not my favourite.
I know some teachers work through the holidays but I really value having a change for a couple of weeks and hopefully will be refreshed for the Summer term which usually seems challenging in terms of students practising due to exams and sporting activities.

#3 zwhe

zwhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 16 April 2019 - 08:40

I don't appear to be good at the holiday thing! I'm going to the dentists, catching up on paperwork, cleaning the house, making war with the clothes moths, going to the tip, taking my youngest to buy new clothes (she doen't like change, the feel of new clothes, crowded places, trying things on...fun!). Next week I'm teaching, and despite several people being away, have just as many lessons as usual as several are catching up missed lessons from last half term. I have been enjoying having time to cook properly - its a good job the kids are all home as I've made several cakes!

#4 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1270 posts
  • Member: 76027

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:33

What holiday?! I only get Friday and Monday off. I intend to do some gardening those days.

#5 porilo

porilo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1330 posts
  • Member: 138745
  • South West London

Posted 16 April 2019 - 10:06

No holiday for me. It's the busiest time of the year, preparing and practising music for Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Holy Saturday and Easter Sunday. Then on 27th April I'm organising an Easter celebration at church. My holiday will really not start until 29th April. Have a Happy and Musical Easter everyone! 

#6 Bagpuss

Bagpuss

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3175 posts
  • Member: 371

Posted 16 April 2019 - 10:15

Moving home.........sad.png sad.png sad.png sad.png sad.png

Stressed-Bag x

#7 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7542 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 16 April 2019 - 11:06

Extra lessons for exam candidates - this afternoon, tomorrow and one half day next week. Housework, gardening, catching up on  home admin  income tax returns to do and bills to pay) sewing - mending some jeans etc. Continuing the clearing out of parts of the house, taking the dog to the vet (vaccinations) and hoping to get the turtle dove to depart. Oh, and I really must take the car to the car wash.  Prepare next term's school lessons. And on Easter Sunday I hope to get to Mass and I  also hope to be able to eat a large bit of Easter egg and do - nothing else!!!

#8 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3948 posts
  • Member: 88756

Posted 16 April 2019 - 11:08

What am I doing this holiday? Recovering from flu. Such fun!

#9 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6514 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 16 April 2019 - 15:26

After assisting with Easter Music, or perhaps I should say in between assisting with the music, we're having to clear out the kitchen and utility room for major refurbishment. Trouble is, where to put the stuff.  This has knock-on effect of having to tidy the other rooms in the house to accommodate kitchen stuff.  ninja.gif faint.gif I feel as though I'm in one of those TV programmes where people go in to clear up and tidy up houses that have got out of control - except (I hasten to add!!rofl.gif ) we're not quite in that category. biggrin.png

#10 musicalmalc

musicalmalc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • Member: 516127

Posted 16 April 2019 - 16:09

not a teacher but I do find the posts on here interesting and I sing/play with 3 choirs on a regular basis, another as a dep and play keyboards for as many shows as I can fit in (hopefully that will increase once mum is in full-time care) plus occasional rehearsal pianist depping and playing organ for church services.

final countdown to mum going to a care home - the social worker and I are trying to sell it to her as going to try it out as a holiday for a week or two but really hoping she settles in and stays there because dementia is getting worse. She is just about ok during the day with short carer visits but gets very confused at night. Working from home (day job) in order to take her to GP today and thought she was going in tomorrow but that is now a visit from the extremely nice care home manager tomorrow afternoon and probably go in on Friday (sounds like the room is being refurbished). I am anticipating the arrival of a bundle of name tags to put on clothes and other items (just enough so it looks like it's not a permanent move!). I will be including one large and one small toy dog and a biscuit tinrolleyes.gif

Thursday after work I will be singing with a voluntary cathedral choir for Maundy Thu evening Eucharist. On Friday I was hoping to start with a major sorting of the piles of stuff in mum's house but now looks like I will be packing and taking mum round to settle in so will try to get the lawns cut if they are dry after rain today or make a start on a massive tidy up at my house.

That just leaves Easter Sunday carols and readings with the voluntary cathedral choir (plus visiting mum)

As I've been looking after mum almost every weekend for the last couple of years I need to ring round friends and try to find something to do over the holiday or I will end up being on my own for the duration and I don't intend to spend all of it sorting stuff!!!

Then next week, back to work, choir rehearsals re-start, expecting music for a show to arrive that I need to work on, more council forms to fill in etc. etc.

#11 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4476 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 16 April 2019 - 17:18

Sorting out the cello fingering for Tchaikovsky Symphony 1 - loving the cello! wub.png

#12 Sautillé

Sautillé

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Member: 897314

Posted 16 April 2019 - 19:40

Anyone else agreed to play in an Easter service thinking ‘walk in park’ to discover they are continuo for what feels like the John and Matthew passions combined?.... (for free!)

#13 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2640 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 16 April 2019 - 19:45

Walking and reading. I'm away!

#14 musicposy

musicposy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Member: 25798
  • West Sussex

Posted 16 April 2019 - 23:36

I taught Monday and Tuesday last week (first week of hols here) and then was promptly ill on the Weds, on,y just recovering now. This always happens!

Next week I'm not starting back with the schools. With Easter Monday it's a fragmented week anyway. Younger daughter has an extra week until she goes back to uni, so we are going up to Edinburgh for a few days. Really looking forward to it. However much I mean to have a break here I always end up answering parents and frequently teaching various members of my own family! So I really do need to get away.

#15 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1331 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted 17 April 2019 - 07:00

As a life-long school teacher I always get anxiety dreams about work in my holidays, grrrr, just when you can relax! They are usually variations on out-of-control children, or being put on the spot to teach a mass of unknown kids in a bare room .... last night's was having to prepare a drama lesson for six year olds without a clue what to do. Somehow mixed in with driving around unknown areas of Berlin and getting my car towed away.

Will this continue to haunt me when I retire? (Two months to go, yeah! Last time ever taking a hoard away overnight, last batch of long reports-that-never-make-any-actual-difference to write!)