Suepea

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1829 posts
  • Member: 299
  • Ashford Middlesex

Posted 23 February 2011 - 20:58

I have just heard from the Secretary of the Edinburgh SRP Branch that Brian Bonsor died yesterday, 22nd February. Brian was particularly well known in the world of recorder playing for his many and diverse arrangements and compositions. He particularly enjoyed the jazz idiom. His pieces feature in the current AB descant recorder syllabus at grades 1, 2 and 4. He also composed for the piano, Feelin' Good and Willie Wagglesticks's Walkabout having been in ABRSM's grade 6 and 7 syllabus in recent years.

I first met Brian at a recorder course at Benslow Music Trust more years ago than I care to remember. His skills as a tutor and a conductor were top notch, and he was a kind and gentle man who always had time to talk to people.

At last Saturday's Guildford SRP meeting we played two of his arrangements - Dusk by Armstrong Gibbs and the Cantique de Jean Racine by Faure. The latter was particularly moving, and one of our members said afterwards "I want to have that at my funeral". Little did she know that we would be hearing of Brian's own funeral in just three days' time.

#2 Halka

Halka

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1490 posts
  • Member: 11036

Posted 23 February 2011 - 22:01

I'm sad to hear this. I used his "Enjoy the Recorder" books when I came back to recorder playing in 2000 and my daughter also used them once she was not a complete beginner.

Sheffield SRP was also playing his music last Saturday - arrangements of Scottish folk songs for 4 recorders, originally prepared for the Scottish Amateur Music Association - played in his honour as the conductor, Sandra Foxall, was aware he was very poorly.

#3 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14408 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 23 February 2011 - 23:36

What sad news.

I too have often used Brian's music with recorder groups (both children and adults) - lovely stuff.

sad.gif

#4 Dulcet

Dulcet

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1309 posts
  • Member: 112579

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:51

QUOTE(Cyrilla @ Feb 23 2011, 11:36 PM) View Post

What sad news.

I too have often used Brian's music with recorder groups (both children and adults) - lovely stuff.

sad.gif

"Begwine" is the one we all remember in our house... indeed a major influence.

#5 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41707 posts
  • Member: 5804
  • South East London

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:21

Oh sad.gif that's sad news.

Simple Samba is the piece I remember from school days most vividly, but all his stuff was well worth playing.

RIP.

#6 Chris H

Chris H

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1958 posts
  • Member: 6441
  • Yorkshire

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:28

I am very sad to hear this, Brian was a friend of my parents and my mum didn't know he had died. I've just rung her up and she's sending a card. Brian's wife will wonder how my mum heard.

#7 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7185 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:24

Very sad. My recorder pupils have always appreciated his pieces. They are such fun. My thoughts and condolences to his family and friends.

#8 willobie

willobie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2841 posts
  • Member: 4110
  • Nottinghamshire

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:29

"Hoe-Down" is the first piece of recorder music I can remember playing.

Brian was a really lovely man and I had the pleasure of knowing him through courses over a number of years. When I started arranging and publishing recorder music, he was one of the first to encourage me - I was so thrilled when Brian Bonsor bought one of MY arrangements...

It is very sad news.

W sad.gif

#9 Bagpuss

Bagpuss

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3114 posts
  • Member: 371

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:59

Oh how dreadfully sad. Brian's music is just GREAT because he played the instrument, understood its versatility and had such a jolly good ear for harmony to make even the simplest melodies most appealing, especially for younger kids.

A special man.

RIP.

Bx

#10 HelenVJ

HelenVJ

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1978 posts
  • Member: 1265
  • South-East London ( OK - Penge)

Posted 25 February 2011 - 13:58

Very sad news . Although I never had the pleasure of meeting him, I feel as thought he's been part of my musical life for ever. From playing his pieces in our school recorder ensemble, to teaching them to generations of students - it's like he's always been there in the background. He has left a splendid legacy.