#1 Guitarist

Guitarist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • Member: 349608

Posted 01 November 2018 - 19:46

“A good teacher can inspire hope, ignite the imagination, and instil a love of learning”

Brad Henry

How to Learn Faster

How amazing and exciting can it be; learning a new instrument?

To learn quickly and experience the feelings of achievement and satisfaction from playing your favourite songs! You get enjoyment and fun from learning something new and you’re able to show your family and friends how astonishing you really are and all that you have learned and accomplished!!

Learning something new can sometimes have the opposite effect if you expect growth and positive results too quickly - you may say to yourself; “it’s too difficult” and you can become easily disheartened. Your motivation and enthusiasm can start to wane, you feel doomed that you aren’t further ahead! You might feel you get left behind and are not getting off to the best start. The key is not to put unrealistic expectations on yourself or set yourself up to fail.

Let’s explore some proven and highly effective ideas to keep things fast paced and fun that will work for you repeatedly.

Have you ever tried to learn something all at once? Without breaking it down into manageable sized chucks first? And felt like it’s just too difficult. Do you hear yourself saying “I can’t do this”? and frustration can kick in! It can be tricky and even feel impossible to put new skills together in the beginning stages of learning anything new!

For novice guitarists this could be trying to play guitar without having a basic skill set first or attempting a song and not knowing the chords or how to use a pick correctly!

What no One Tells You

Try not to think about putting all the parts together straight away, skills are easier to learn when you pick them apart at first. You can do this by setting small attainable goals, like learning a few easy chords or how to strum and pick correctly and then piece the small parts together! Over time, these smaller skills will eventually paint a bigger picture! Wow!! And there you have it, it’s that easy!!!

Don’t Multitask

Multitasking doesn’t work! Your brain can’t give the full attention to each individual task at once. Trying to learn too much too soon can produce partly learned skills, resulting in your guitar playing being hit and miss at best! Try to stay away from learning the whole song at first, find the ingredients the song is made of up; scale, chords, and practice these.

Be Mindful

If you have taken guitar lessons with me, you’ll probably hear me talk about mindfulness. This concept means giving your full attention to one individual task at a time, being aware that your mind may wander elsewhere, but gently bringing it back to the task in hand.  By being fully aware of each of the movements involved in playing the guitar, this is ‘real mindfulness practice’ and will get you playing in no time at all, It’s not what you practice that matters the most, ‘but how you practice’.     

Learn from Experts

Learning from an expert can really help you become amazingly good at new skill. The person is already an expert in these skills you're looking to master and will fast track you there in a shorter time frame. Observing and learning from an expert can really help you get each movement correctly and add accountability to your learning.  

Multi-Sensory Learning   

We all learn and process information in different ways.

When practicing your guitar playing, you can use a combination of your senses to help you understand what you’re learning in a more cultivated and conscious way.

Here are the main senses used for guitar learning:

visual (seeing),

auditory (hearing)

reading/writing

and kinaesthetic (doing/ touch and movement).

Some people have a preference and prefer to be taught using specific techniques that meet their way of learning or that use a combination of them all.  Finding out which method of learning is best for you, will accelerate your learning tenfold. Knowing yourself as a learner is important if you want to achieve the best that you can and use your ability to the fullest.

Question: If you are an auditory learner, what would help you learn? Reading a book OR listening to an audio book?

How to find which of your senses you’re are most dominant in regarding your learning style. Ask yourself these questions;

How long do I spend on the phone?

Do you enjoy looking at pictures, paintings or reading books?

What superpower would you like to have the most?

Here is an example of how this can be applied to learning guitar or music.

Visual: Reading music or watching someone else play and copying what they are doing. Do you find yourself learning from Youtube?

Sound: Singing melodies for songs that you love, or hearing people speak

Kinaesthetic: Clapping rhythms or beats to a song, (you know a drummer when you see one hey?!)   

To summarize, by breaking the larger skills down into smaller chunks and understanding how these smaller tasks or skills then create ‘the bigger picture’ will help you learn a lot quicker and make you a bulletproof player. Finding out what sense is your most dominant one and work with this will quickly accelerate your learning.   

1. Takeaways:  

1. Don’t Multitask

2. Be Mindful

3. Learn from Experts

4. Multi-Sensory Learning

I want you to share your number one challenge when it comes to learning to play guitar? I’m truly curious, I hear everything you say and read/reply to every email. Or sign up to my newsletter for free content - https://www.davidgui...o.uk/newsletter

Thanks.