Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6749 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 30 May 2010 - 14:59

QUOTE(Robodoc @ May 30 2010, 01:49 PM)  

These figures also back up something I wrote in these forums ages ago (but got shot down in flames) which is that it is harder to fail grade 1 than any other grade.

Certainly I don't want to shoot you down in flames again. Is it harder to fail Grade 1 or is there another reason to account for the statistics? Could it, for axample have anything to do with the age range of candidates? Would there be a higher percentage of older candidates (late beginners) taking Grade 1 and
also candidates who already have exam experience taking up a second instrument?

Actually there are several ways in which the AB statistics could be broken down - by instrument, by age of candidate, by country in which the exam is taken and probably others I haven't thought of.

I'd like to see the ABpublishing various breakdowns of their results every couple of years. It would be interesting.

#32 Guest: Solari_*

Guest: Solari_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 30 May 2010 - 15:06

QUOTE(Aquarelle @ May 30 2010, 02:31 PM)  

agree.gif Yes very interesting. Any chance of a chart for Europe Solari?

I'll do some more if I get time tonight smile.gif

#33 DocOx

DocOx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Member: 87239
  • French Riviera

Posted 30 May 2010 - 16:07

QUOTE(Robodoc @ May 30 2010, 02:49 PM)  

These figures also back up something I wrote in these forums ages ago (but got shot down in flames) which is that it is harder to fail grade 1 than any other grade.

I respectfully disagree (see, no flaming on my part smile.gif). For your claim to be backed up, I believe that you would, at least, need figures for people who have taken every single exam from grade 1 to grade 8, and the recorded results would have to be only about the entrant's first attempt at a particular grade (i.e. someone who takes an exam, fails it, retakes it and passes it would be counted as a fail). This, I believe, would give you a better indication of whether your claim is correct or not, but only an indication, since there are loads of other parameters that ought to be taken into account, such as the pieces played, the examiners, the age of the entrant, etc.

At the end of the day, this kind of data can't, in my view, back up anything. If anything, it can only give you an indication of what a particular trend might be.