Bleamy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Member: 897578
  • London

Posted 07 June 2017 - 17:13

Taking Grade 2 .

Attwood Allegretto (1st movt from Sonatina No. 3 in F)

Smetana Waltz in G (No. 2 from Poklad melodií, Vol. 2)

Prokofiev The Cat (from Peter and the Wolf, Op. 67)

I was taking my piano class yesterday and my teacher was so disappointed when I couldn't play fluently. I had hiccups and hesitation here and there and even played wrongly. I was so nervous even infront of my teacher. How to suppress my nervousness during the actual exam ? OMG !This was so different when I was practising at home in which I  could play confidently at home.

What is wrong with me ?

This is perfectly normal, practise performing, Before lesson take a video, play to your friends, If nobody is there to listen to you call me on skype, Perform regularly, 

#17 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1131 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 13 June 2017 - 10:55

Pleased to say my practising seems to be paying off.  I now seem able to play the pieces below musically most times without errors:

I:A-1: Aria in F (JC Bach)
I:A-3: La donna è mobile (from Rigoletto) (Verdi/Litten)
I:B-2: Gypsy Song (Kelly)
I:C-3: When the saints go marching in (arr. Bartels)

My scales and broken chords are mostly sound (LH a little weaker with accuracy generally), although I am now having panic attacks over the correct articulation to use.

#18 Witzend

Witzend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 548 posts
  • Member: 892899
  • Kingston on Thames

Posted 25 June 2017 - 10:50

Anyone else working on the G6 Valse Lente?
I won't be doing the exam but found it on YouTube and really love it. Not finding it too challenging except for bb 17-19 - lots of slow practice - and probably 49-50, which I've hardly started on yet.
Have set myself a goal of getting it more or less right before group class starts again in September.

By way of contrast also working on the jolly Mozart Rondo.

#19 Bleamy

Bleamy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Member: 897578
  • London

Posted 25 June 2017 - 11:16

Hi Witzend,
I am doing exam in the autumn. I am doing Merikanto as well. It' s not really hard, but I have problem with the pedal though.

#20 emmjay

emmjay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Member: 897192

Posted 30 June 2017 - 10:51

What grade are you taking, what pieces have you chosen?

How did you find them: easy or hard?

I am aspiring to do grade 6.

I've chosen 
Bach:  it is a mission impossible. (probably my age)

Merikanto: not easy, but manageable

Bartok: quite easy

I am thinking of swap  Bach to Mozart

Merikanto to Skryabin

Any suggestion?

I am studying for my Grade 6 as well but I haven't taken my G5 Theory yet (that will be in Dec), and I am also studying for my G1 Jazz Piano, so I'm not sure when my G6 exam will be!

None of the pieces in the ABRSM book clicked for me, so all of mine are alternative pieces. The only other exam I have taken has been Grade 5, and I ended up performing two alternative pieces for that one as well.

- The alternative Bach, Andante (3rd movt from Pastorella in F): I haven't really started working on this because I started with the Scarlatti, then changed to the Beethoven, then just changed to this one earlier in June

- Cervantes, Los Tres Golpes: this one is finished and I performed it at a recital 2 weeks ago. This was the first piece I chose - I like the syncopation and the Latin feel

- Cornick, Modulations: I can get through this but it needs a lot of work. I love the jazzy sound of this one and am looking forward to polishing it.

Hi to EllieD - I am new as well (this is my first post!)

#21 Sylvette

Sylvette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Member: 895486
  • Gloucestershire, UK

Posted 30 June 2017 - 13:32

Welcome, emmajay! 

How are you getting on with G1 jazz piano?  I am thinking of doing that next rather than continuing with classical.

#22 emmjay

emmjay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 14:01

Welcome, emmajay! 

How are you getting on with G1 jazz piano?  I am thinking of doing that next rather than continuing with classical.

It is a challenge. I took many years of classical piano as a child, and then took a long break and came back to it three years ago when I was 42. So, I have 17-18 years of classical piano training and am now trying Jazz. It is almost like learning a different instrument! But I am glad I am challenging myself. In addition to enjoying how it sounds, it is really helping me to increase my knowledge of music theory and how to apply it in a practical sense (instead of just studying it).

The first time I got to a section where I had to improvise, I froze because I had no idea what to do. I am still getting used to the improvisation, but it is getting easier every week - I just started in April, so it is still very new for me. That said, I think it is already making me a better pianist. I don't want to give up the classical, so ideally I will continue to do both. My teacher wants me to take the Jazz exam in December, so we'll see how that goes!

You should get the G1 book and just see how you like it!

#23 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 30 June 2017 - 16:36

Hi Emmjay! Good to have you here!! :)

I too am learning to improvise - just got the book (Lucinda Mackworth Young: Piano by Ear) in the post this morning and had a go at it - it's exactly what I need, starts right with basics. I think so much is probably down to confidence and throwing away the idea that you can get it wrong! I'm really going to enjoy it I think.

I don't know that really there is that much of a distinction between classical and jazz piano really - I bet Mozart and Beethoven improvised away quite happily (if only we had recording facilities back in those days!!). I think being able to do both would be just amazing.

#24 emmjay

emmjay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 16:57

I'm sure they did - just look at Gabriela Montero!

I meant as a learner they are completely different. With classical, everything is there on the page and you add your interpretation. It's a different story to play 16 bars of something and then create an improvisation that works with the rest of the piece, at least it is for me! I feel like I need to improve my knowledge of theory and increase my confidence at the same time - I feel like I'm using a whole different part of my brain but I am enjoying the challenge.

Funnily enough, I just ordered that book last night and it arrived today! I'm looking forward to giving it a go!

#25 Sylvette

Sylvette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Member: 895486
  • Gloucestershire, UK

Posted 01 July 2017 - 10:09

Yes, emmjay, I have the G1 book and I have been playing around with some of the pieces.  I'm still at a level where I am going to have to make an effort to really learn the opening sections before I can think about the improvisations, but I love singing jazz and would ideally like eventually to be able to accompany myself.

I must have a look for that book on a well-known book selling site!

#26 emmjay

emmjay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 12:15

Oh, that is definitely to your advantage that you are already a jazz singer! I'm sure the improvisations will come more naturally to you!

When I first started, some of the pieces just didn't work for me. My teacher wanted me to start on Inchworm, which I attempted many times but I just couldn't make it work. I had to go through all of them before I found three that worked for me. The Atomic Bomb piece was the easiest for me to improvise. I also tried to find YouTube videos of full arrangements of the pieces so I could hear them in context and get some thoughts on improvisation.

#27 Keron

Keron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • Member: 486159
  • Leicester

Posted 01 July 2017 - 22:39

Brahms Intermezzo in A minor

Beethoven Sonata in Fm first movement

Bach Prelude and Fugue in D minor

#28 andante_in_c

andante_in_c

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10693 posts
  • Member: 130
  • Hampshire, UK

Posted 02 July 2017 - 08:57

Almost snap, Keron. I'm playing the Bach and Brahms, but the Haydn rather than the Beethoven. :)

#29 Keron

Keron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • Member: 486159
  • Leicester

Posted 02 July 2017 - 13:14

Almost snap, Keron. I'm playing the Bach and Brahms, but the Haydn rather than the Beethoven. :)

It was only after I chose them that I realise I was playing the three Bs :P. I should start the Brahms tbh but I'm working on other pieces and time is a limited resource. I may have to drop something in order to make progress on it. I was tempted by the Hadyn but I think the only real other contender would have been the Mozart in C. I've always liked the first movement of that Sonata. 

#30 andante_in_c

andante_in_c

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10693 posts
  • Member: 130
  • Hampshire, UK

Posted 02 July 2017 - 17:41

I've found the Brahms the quickest to learn as it has far fewer notes than the others, especially as you have to play all the repeats. It's a bit stretchier in the LH accompaniment than I like, but it is good for me to play something out of my comfort zone. I will be playing it at Stalybridge in a fortnight, and it should be fine as long as I don't go too fast.