Queensmessenger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Member: 898561
  • Scottish Borders UK

Posted 18 December 2017 - 20:16

Hello,
A newby here . Always had an interest in music and would love to play an instrument. At age 76 with time to devote is it possible to play cornet.
Cannot afford much and have some idea of music notation but not put any of this into practice. Have a 7C mouthpiece and practice embouchure by blowing raspberries through it. Internet instruction is the way I will go as no bands in my isolated area of Scotland. Advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.I would also appreciate advice on cheap suitable instruments for my needs. Self entertainment is my goal.
Thanks for reading this

Doug

#2 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1120 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 18 December 2017 - 20:34

Hello, Doug and welcome to the Forums!

There are lots and lots of lovely, helpful and experienced people here who can advise you a lot better than me. All I would say go for it regardless of your age - please keep us updated on your progress, highs and lows.  One thing I have found is that the cost of learning an instrument is always more than I imagined, so be prepared.

The very best of luck!

PS - I'm intrigued by your username.  What's the story behind it?

#3 Queensmessenger

Queensmessenger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Scottish Borders UK

Posted 18 December 2017 - 20:59

Hello Ligneous,
Thanks for the advice. I now feel welcome already. Username comes from a past interesting job involving world travel but cannot enlarge.
Location excludes formal lessons so relying on online courses coupled with self practice. Used a bugle in Boys Brigade centuries ago but the old bugle I have is proving difficult in higher notes Lips not yet flexible enough I suspect and need to exercise diaphragm more.
Thanks for your welcome and support. Once I get a cornet I will be on my way.
Doug

#4 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 18 December 2017 - 21:02

I was at an adult learners brass band concert a few months ago, and there was a lady playing there who had taken up her instrument (I think it was also a cornet) when she was over 70. I also knew a bassoonist who had taken up the instrument after her 70th birthday too, and she was amazing!! So nope, never too old!!! Good luck!!!

#5 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1267 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted 18 December 2017 - 21:21

Go for it!

Hope a knowledgeable person comes along with ideas. Welcome and good luck!

#6 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4563 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 19 December 2017 - 06:51

Welcome Queensmessenger. Hope you find some guidance with your chosen instrument and an ensemble to join somewhere. (Have been hearing Salvation Army bands when out shopping so can imagine the attraction.)
Was watching an old black and white Christmas film while putting up tree on Sunday, and one of the characters was the widow of a Queens messenger; it sounded very grand and mysterious.
What an interesting addition to the forum. :)

#7 Thepianist

Thepianist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Member: 893388

Posted 19 December 2017 - 07:43

Go for it , never to late to learn :D and welcome to the forum!

#8 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5961 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 20 December 2017 - 08:15

Welcome. The community orchestra I used to play in had a beginners' group and they had a new cellist who was 93... It's never too late to start. You may be able to get online lessons e.g. using Skype.  

Edited by Tenor Viol, 20 December 2017 - 19:32 .

#9 bursty

bursty

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Member: 897868

Posted 20 December 2017 - 17:42

Never too old! I'm 21(which admittedly is a lot younger, but still) and I started learning the Cornet 6 months ago. I have since taken my Grade 1 and am now skipping straight ahead for Grade 3 in the spring. I love playing the Cornet, and if you enjoy it and are prepared to put the practice in its well worth it. One of the best decisions I ever made! I'm in two beginners brass bands and there's plenty of adult learners a lot older than me too. The lady who runs one of the bands I'm in started learning the Euphonium in her 60s and is now in her 70s and still going, and she's great. I definitely reccomend it!

#10 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6520 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 20 December 2017 - 21:14

21 is, objectively, younger than 76.  However, I've yet to meet anyone of any age over 21 who feels significantly different to how they felt at 21.  As in, not turned in to one of those grown ups yet, still just muddling along working out this life thing as it comes at us.  So any time is a good time to take up (or return to) and instrument, because you're never past it :)

#11 Queensmessenger

Queensmessenger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Scottish Borders UK

Posted 06 January 2018 - 16:03

Thanks to all for the encouragement. Not enough cash yet for a cornet but still looking for a good used one. Have a 7C mouthpiece and "buzz" away when walking dog across fields. Can usually get full 8 or more notes of scale but some sound rather out of tune and some sound cracked, however embouchure is probably needing lots of work. Works best with top lip high up in mouthpiece with top lip slightly overlapping bottom one. Can't wait to get a cornet but sadly no bands close enough to me. No doubt more to come later.

#12 Queensmessenger

Queensmessenger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Scottish Borders UK

Posted 23 January 2018 - 17:40

Getting an older weltkland Bb cornet soon . A student one made in GDR I believe and perhaps far from good enough, but for my primitive needs will, I hope get me going. No damage or dents and valves and slides free. Going to enjoy polishing to make it look new again. Will get a better one if I make progress so that hunt will start again. This one only cost me £25 so nothing really lost. Slide grease and valve oil on my get it now list, although I believe vaseline and a weak washing up detergent and water also works. Will keep you informed of progress (or otherwise).

Doug

#13 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5531 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 23 January 2018 - 19:06

Congratulations, Queensmessenger! Enjoy! 

trumpet3.gif

#14 Queensmessenger

Queensmessenger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Scottish Borders UK

Posted 07 February 2018 - 22:21

Thanks all. Cornet arrived today , a grubby old Weltkland which has polished up well. Removed 4 tuning slides and cleaned them up and greased temporarily with vaseline. Valves removed and carefully cleaned with hand wash soap and pulled through with soft lint free cloth. Reassembled using a very week mix of liquid soap and water in lieu of valve oil. All on back order. Valves slow to come back up but maybe new springs and proper valve oil will do the trick. Mouthpiece is an old John Ridgeon 3M. Sounds fine but mouthpiece different from 7C trumpet one that I have been buzzing on. Practice practice practice is what is needed now. Any advice on suitable mouthpiece for a beginner if John Ridgeon not deemed suitable?

#15 Spanish Pavane

Spanish Pavane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Member: 720213

Posted 08 February 2018 - 20:12

i would maybe ask this kind of question in the Viva Brass?