Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Member: 96255
  • Bolton, Lancashire

Posted 17 January 2018 - 17:48

Hi everyone,

I have recently have had to change my flute teacher at short notice, due to my former teacher has stopped teaching during the week. Anyway I had my first lesson with my new teacher last night, and I came out bouncing off the walls.

I have been told to keep doing what doing, as I do harmonics on C to warm up. Then this is either followed up by scales or the piece which I’m currently learning. Plus this also includes working on technique. She also told me that I’m working around grade 2 level, which is better than I originally thought.

I’ve done one practice since my lesson last night, and I can already notice a difference in my tone as I sound somewhat clearer, and I’m slowly getting there with my scales (finally).

I have already booked in for another two lessons next month

Loz xx

#2 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1278 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted 17 January 2018 - 19:33

It's great when you find a teacher who really knows what they're about! Onwards and upwards!

#3 adultpianist

adultpianist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 927 posts
  • Member: 888829

Posted 17 January 2018 - 21:18

Hi everyone,

I have recently have had to change my flute teacher at short notice, due to my former teacher has stopped teaching during the week. Anyway I had my first lesson with my new teacher last night, and I came out bouncing off the walls.

I have been told to keep doing what doing, as I do harmonics on C to warm up. Then this is either followed up by scales or the piece which I’m currently learning. Plus this also includes working on technique. She also told me that I’m working around grade 2 level, which is better than I originally thought.

I’ve done one practice since my lesson last night, and I can already notice a difference in my tone as I sound somewhat clearer, and I’m slowly getting there with my scales (finally).

Loz xx

Hi I am in the same boat.   I am learning flute and have not been very enthusiastic until now because I had a poor quality flute. I upgraded it to a Yamaha 211 and now practice at weekends during the day.  I work full time and cannot practice in the evenings during the week as I get home late and I live in a flat.  I had a very good teacher at the beginning but she moved and so I decided to take what she taught me and carry on by myself/ The other problem is time and money (I am already paying for weekly piano lessons).   My music school have a system where you can have lessons on an ad hoc basis so I tried that as and when I could.  The problem is that the teacher only works two days a week and the slot I had has now been taken up with a regular student so I have lost the slot and teacher.  There is another teacher at the school who I am going to try but the same situation will happen again.   At the moment he is free at 7.30 on a Tuesday evening but if someone books a regular slot with him each week at that time then I cannot do it.   The other problem is that both the new and the old flute teacher are primarily Jazz musicians.  Can a jazz musician teach classical?  My piano teacher teaches classical piano and when I asked her if she plays jazz she said she is not trained to teach or play jazz piano.

#4 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41704 posts
  • Member: 5804
  • South East London

Posted 17 January 2018 - 23:09

Hi everyone,
Loz xx

Given you a like for that post.
I've fairly recently taken a flute lesson but they will be very irregular considering I'm in London and flute teacher is in Cornwall :lol:

#5 linda.ff

linda.ff

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8026 posts
  • Member: 183500
  • Cambridge

Posted 18 January 2018 - 11:48

The other problem is that both the new and the old flute teacher are primarily Jazz musicians.  Can a jazz musician teach classical?  My piano teacher teaches classical piano and when I asked her if she plays jazz she said she is not trained to teach or play jazz piano.

I would expect a decent jazz musician to be able to teach classical (up to a certain level) much better than a classical musician trying to teach jazz. I can happily teach "written-out jazz" but I'm not a jazz player and by no stretch of the imagination would I describe myself as a jazz teacher. The best jazz players I have known were formidable all-round musicians.

#6 linda.ff

linda.ff

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8026 posts
  • Member: 183500
  • Cambridge

Posted 18 January 2018 - 11:50

I've fairly recently taken a flute lesson but they will be very irregular considering I'm in London and flute teacher is in Cornwall laugh.png

Are you in a position to deduct flute lessons from tax, and therefore the travel to them?

#7 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22870 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 18 January 2018 - 11:51

The other problem is that both the new and the old flute teacher are primarily Jazz musicians.  Can a jazz musician teach classical?  My piano teacher teaches classical piano and when I asked her if she plays jazz she said she is not trained to teach or play jazz piano.

I would expect a decent jazz musician to be able to teach classical (up to a certain level) much better than a classical musician trying to teach jazz. I can happily teach "written-out jazz" but I'm not a jazz player and by no stretch of the imagination would I describe myself as a jazz teacher. The best jazz players I have known were formidable all-round musicians.

I think it depends on their background and experience. They may have begun with a more classical background and have a good understanding of classical styles.

#8 adultpianist

adultpianist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 927 posts
  • Member: 888829

Posted 18 January 2018 - 13:12

Ok thanks