#1 adultpianist

adultpianist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts
  • Member: 888829

Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:53

Hi i had a lesson with a flute teacher. I did not like her approach so decided not to go back but she is trying to persuade me to have another lesson. I actually came away from her lesson feeling quite nervous due to her strict old school approach.

#2 Catey

Catey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • Member: 71060

Posted 22 January 2018 - 10:42

I would just send her a very polite email. Thank her for her time but say it wasn't quite what you were looking for in fit and style. Up to you if you explain why. After that I would not enter into any further communication with her.

Good luck finding a teacher you want to work with, don't settle for something that doesn't feel right because you've been chased. Sometimes a student teacher relationship just doesn't work.

#3 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17184 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 22 January 2018 - 10:49

Only you can decide if its really a 'no go' but is one lesson sufficient to make a fair judgement ?

#4 adultpianist

adultpianist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 10:58

She is too awkward to travel to. She is a strange woman from what i have found on her fb and she was once arrested for assaulting a police officer during a demonstration. Ive found someone else at my music school where i do piano

#5 Thepianist

Thepianist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Member: 893388

Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:34

Lol sounds like a nice lady! Too be honest you don't have to give her a reason for not continuing with lessons. I personally would send her an email like Catey has suggested. But if you feel uncomfortable with that just leave it. If she keeps harassing you just block her number. Seems a bit odd that she would be trying to make you go back. If I was the teacher and you decided not to come back to me. I personally would just say that's fine and don't worry and wish you all the best with your futher studying.

#6 JD5

JD5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Member: 895274
  • South East

Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:39

I had the same thing with a piano teacher last year.  I only had 2 lessons with him and then decided to quit which he was not very happy about.  I knew that I would just not get on with his methods, even though he probably makes quite good pianists.  I get on with him fine now, even though at the time things were rather difficult.  Hope you find a good teacher soon.

#7 adultpianist

adultpianist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 12:51

To be honest after the lesson with her i did not know what to say so i just said maybe i will book again after xmas and i never contacted her or heard from her until now. I thought the no contact from either of us indicated that we both felt it would not work but here she is asking me to return. I did not get the impression she has many students. Anyway if she contacts me again i wont reply

#8 adultpianist

adultpianist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 13:22

She just replied and was not happy saying she charged me a special rate etc. She can easily get another student to fill my slot. I have not relied to her but another thing that put me off her is she asked me a lot of personal questions about my piano teacher and myself which were inappropriate. If she sends me another text i will block her

#9 Thepianist

Thepianist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Member: 893388

Posted 22 January 2018 - 14:04

That's just her trying to play psychological games with you, making you feel like damn I should not cancel if she can fill it that quickly she must be good. Sounds like you dodged a bullet there my friend, good idea if she contacts you again just ignore and block.

#10 adultpianist

adultpianist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 14:10

Yes

#11 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 22 January 2018 - 20:14

All sounding a bit freaky and scary - definitely block her number. Good luck with future lessons - with a nice teacher!

#12 jpiano

jpiano

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2140 posts
  • Member: 1270

Posted 22 January 2018 - 23:36

From a teacher's perspective, I always do a trial lesson and I certainly wouldn't be chasing anyone who didn't want to come back! That's the whole point of the initial lesson and if we weren't a good fit then I'd rather they went elsewhere and were happy. It is right that a single lesson isn't sufficient to assess someone's whole teaching method, but sounds to me equally like a personality thing. I certainly wouldn't want to return to a teacher who was scary or to put myself through that every week.

#13 adultpianist

adultpianist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 966 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 23:53

From a teacher's perspective, I always do a trial lesson and I certainly wouldn't be chasing anyone who didn't want to come back! That's the whole point of the initial lesson and if we weren't a good fit then I'd rather they went elsewhere and were happy. It is right that a single lesson isn't sufficient to assess someone's whole teaching method, but sounds to me equally like a personality thing. I certainly wouldn't want to return to a teacher who was scary or to put myself through that every week.

When I found my piano teacher that I have now, we had an instant rapprt and that is how it should be.