#1 adultpianist

adultpianist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • Member: 888829

Posted 12 February 2018 - 14:00

I just sat through a flute masterclass. I would encourage anyone to watch a masterclass.

#2 adultpianist

adultpianist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:28

I just sat through a flute masterclass. I would encourage anyone to watch a masterclass.

does anyone have anything to say on this subject

#3 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3250 posts
  • Member: 711500

Posted 13 February 2018 - 07:39

Maybe tell us more about what happened. Was it useful to you as a beginner?

#4 adultpianist

adultpianist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:22

Yes it was useful because the flautist had us doing a breathing counting exercise which none of my flute teachers have ever done with me. My teachers have only ever gone straight into teaching me how to blow properly so it does not sound airy and then play exercises and if i run out of breath and take a breath where i shouldn't then that is ok but according to the flautist yesterday it is not ok because you should breathe at the correct places and how can you do that without a lesson on breathing and only when she can see you can hold a breath for as long as a phrase or bar requires then you try on flute not before

#5 adultpianist

adultpianist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:25

She also does exercises on tone and vibrato again which none of my teachers have gone into in any depth

#6 adultpianist

adultpianist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:28

I have a lesson next week with a new teacher so if he doesnt touch deeply on these matters then i am going to point it out and ask because i now know what should be taught. After all i want to get the most out of it and lessons are not cheap so if these fundamental basic things aren't taught with depth before you start playing pieces then its a waste of money and i can learn from youtube tuition which is free

#7 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:55

Definitely any beginner learning a wind or brass instrument should ideally spend a lot more of their time than they probably do aiming for a beautiful sound rather than trying to play notes and tunes. The fingering will get there in the end, but the ability to produce a beautiful sound is the difference between somebody that you want to listen to and somebody that you don't. Of course everyone wants to play a tune when they first pick up an instrument ... 

I'm glad the masterclass was useful!

#8 adultpianist

adultpianist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:58

https://youtu.be/joSqdY_8-ug

This is the flautist i saw who gave the masterclass

#9 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22870 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 13 February 2018 - 12:16

I have a lesson next week with a new teacher so if he doesnt touch deeply on these matters then i am going to point it out and ask because i now know what should be taught. After all i want to get the most out of it and lessons are not cheap so if these fundamental basic things aren't taught with depth before you start playing pieces then its a waste of money and i can learn from youtube tuition which is free

This is an ongoing process. You start at the beginning and the demands develop over time as you progress.

#10 adultpianist

adultpianist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 13:17

I guess so but i am not being taught breathing properly. However as an adult i can watch videos and teach myself and learn from videos where to take a breath in the music. I had one lesson from a teacher who got very cross with me for not standing relaxed and the reason for that was she made me nervous so i never went back. For me it is just a hobby so i dont need to be shouted at but where you get youngsters wanting to become professionals they need strict teachers in order for them to progress to a standard where if they audition for an orchestra they play well enough to get in and you cannot take a softly softly approach with such students

#11 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6542 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 13 February 2018 - 14:55

Different teachers are going to teach things in a different order. For some, the breathing needs to be right from the beginning; with others, you'll learn the notes and when you can do that, it gets turned in to phrases with breathing at appropriate points. There's no one right way, it's finding what works for the two of you together.
I remember playing cello in a string quartet after a term of lessons. The first violin asked if I did vibrato yet, and I shamefacedly said no; she said not to worry too much about it. I later discovered that AB cello exams don't expect it until G4!

#12 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22870 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 13 February 2018 - 15:39

I guess so but i am not being taught breathing properly. However as an adult i can watch videos and teach myself and learn from videos where to take a breath in the music. I had one lesson from a teacher who got very cross with me for not standing relaxed and the reason for that was she made me nervous so i never went back. For me it is just a hobby so i dont need to be shouted at but where you get youngsters wanting to become professionals they need strict teachers in order for them to progress to a standard where if they audition for an orchestra they play well enough to get in and you cannot take a softly softly approach with such students

If it's where to breathe perhaps your flute teacher has some idea that you have some awareness there with your level on piano. Phrasing is phrasing whatever the instrument. It may also be possible that at the beginning you are unable to play full phrases. It's a good idea to ask your teacher about improving breath control if you've noticed for yourself that you are wanting to improve it.

#13 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41704 posts
  • Member: 5804
  • South East London

Posted 13 February 2018 - 18:50

https://youtu.be/joSqdY_8-ug

This is the flautist i saw who gave the masterclass

Ah : Emily Beynon. She knows her way around a flute!
I’ve participated in many a masterclass over the years, mostly clarinet but not by any means exclusively. They are often invaluable.

#14 adultpianist

adultpianist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 19:33

Barry yes true

#15 Flutery

Flutery

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Member: 895537

Posted 15 February 2018 - 12:06

I have sat in on a few masterclass sessions for flute, not taken part as I'm nowhere near advanced enough (yet). It's fascinating and you can learn a lot, even if you are not at an advanced standard. We all have the same breathing, tonguing, finger dexterity, phrasing, tone problems and luckily we can all learn something to improve in some way.
Your teacher should be glad to teach you how to breath properly in order to have the correct air pressure and air reed for playing in each octave. It wasn't something my first teacher taught me, she was more concerned with getting correct embouchure, hand positions and stamina. But it would have helped me enormously if I had known to ask and then be taught about breathing and how to firm the abdominal wall. Do ask. My current teacher started straight off with breathing and it made a huge difference, as it would, lol.