#1 adultpianist

adultpianist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 998 posts
  • Member: 888829

Posted 27 January 2019 - 22:55

I thought I would share this for anyone who does not know much about this musician

https://youtu.be/ys1hLa0y2zw

#2 adultpianist

adultpianist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 19:13

I guess nobody likes Jaquiline du pre

#3 HelenVJ

HelenVJ

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2073 posts
  • Member: 1265
  • South-East London ( OK - Penge)

Posted 28 January 2019 - 19:22

More likely that most people already do know plenty about her. Hers was a very well-documented life.

#4 adultpianist

adultpianist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 19:54

More likely that most people already do know plenty about her. Hers was a very well-documented life.

I did not know much about her so the documentary was interesting.  I had no idea she was married to Daniel Barenboim or that she converted to Judaism or indeed how wonderful a musician she was.  It was noted in the documentary that she did not need to practice for several hours per day to perfect her skills..   She could just play on the spot and play like a pro.   I guess Jackie was to the cello the same as Yehudi Menuin was to the violin.   I wonder how Jackie would compare to Yo Yo Ma who is another very good cellist.     I am not fond of the cello myself but can appreciate a good cellist when I hear one

#5 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17377 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 28 January 2019 - 21:00

Im not awfully fond of the Elgar Concerto (prefer the Dvorak), but I do not think anyone has played it better since her original recording with Barbirolli

#6 chris13

chris13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Member: 7226
  • Lancaster; originally from Rhubarb Triangle Yorkshire

Posted 28 January 2019 - 22:12

There was a controversial film about her and her sister "Hilary and Jackie". I was at a Liverpool Philharmonic concert on the day of her death and the conductor asked the audience to stand for a minutes silence. If I recall correctly the film made out see died a lonely women.

#7 Gran'piano

Gran'piano

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Member: 899443

Posted 29 January 2019 - 11:30

An interesting book "A Genius in the Family" was written by her sister Hilary and brother Piers. It shows another side to her.
One of the sad things about her story is that having put all her eggs in one basket so to speak, when her cello playing was taken from her, she had practically nothing left. She 'left school' at fourteen to concentrate on her playing and had few other interests and probably few friends outside the large musical circle.

#8 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6087 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 30 January 2019 - 07:51

Her story, as noted above, is well-known. Yes, she was a great cellist, but I'm not fond of the mythologising that has gone on in recent years.

#9 Witzend

Witzend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • Member: 892899
  • Kingston on Thames

Posted 31 January 2019 - 12:18

Thanks for posting. I've seen this film before - I think it was at the Festival Hall, at a concert in her memory. Good to see it again.

I once heard on a radio programme that at the age of 4, she heard some cello music on the radio, and said to her mother, 'I want the thing that makes that noise.'

I did wonder at the time, what if her parents hadn't been the types to have classical music playing at home? What if they hadn't been able to afford that first little cello, or music lessons?

#10 adultpianist

adultpianist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 12:23

In the documentary someone said that Jaquline was the kind of musician that was so good she did not have to practice for 8 hours to perfect her pieces.  I mentioned this to someone who disagreed and said everyone has to practice and why should she be any different

DuPré reportedly learned very quickly without enduring monotonous practice sessions, and her memorization skills were extremely sharp

#11 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2549 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 01 February 2019 - 12:46

Just becasue someone said it doesn't mean it's true. Some people don't have to practise as much as others but everyone has to do a certain amount, obviously.

#12 adultpianist

adultpianist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 19:06

I have to practice lots but I get there in the end smile.png

#13 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17377 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 01 February 2019 - 19:35

I have never been much of a practiser, even back in 1963 when I did ALCM I do not think I ever played much more than half an hour a day. I was studying for A levels and organ grade 8 as well as having a paper round, being a church organist and playing piano for a dancing school.  I am still playing for about half an hour a day even now.

#14 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2549 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 01 February 2019 - 20:05

My bad boy is not a quantity practiser, but he is pretty thorough and intense while he is practising. He also has a very weird way of practising. I think there is probably a whole PhD in there for someone!

#15 Aeolienne

Aeolienne

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1899 posts
  • Member: 16983
  • Leamington Spa, Warks

Posted 04 February 2019 - 16:33

There was a controversial film about her and her sister "Hilary and Jackie". I was at a Liverpool Philharmonic concert on the day of her death and the conductor asked the audience to stand for a minute's silence. If I recall correctly the film made out she died a lonely women.

An interesting book "A Genius in the Family" was written by her sister Hilary and brother Piers. It shows another side to her.
One of the sad things about her story is that having put all her eggs in one basket so to speak, when her cello playing was taken from her, she had practically nothing left. She 'left school' at fourteen to concentrate on her playing and had few other interests and probably few friends outside the large musical circle.

Hilary and Jackie was based on A Genius in the Family.