Aaaaaaaaaggghh - The Scream Thread!

• Please log in to reply
19728 replies to this topic

#31 Guest: saxlover_*

Guest: saxlover_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 19 November 2005 - 09:27

I wasn't talking about that. VN shouldn't be practising karate in the school playground, even with her karate friends, that is just showing off she can do it. The point of karate is too learn how to discipline yourself, improve level of self esteem/fitness as you said, but it is used to DEFEND yourself, and SHOULD NOT be used in any other situation.

#32 Guest: Tess_*

Guest: Tess_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2005 - 09:37

QUOTE(saxlover @ Nov 19 2005, 09:27 AM)
I wasn't talking about that. VN shouldn't be practising karate in the school playground, even with her karate friends, that is just showing off she can do it. The point of karate is too learn how to discipline yourself, improve level of self esteem/fitness as you said, but it is used to DEFEND yourself, and SHOULD NOT be used in any other situation.

View Post

The thing about VN is, she is very very quiet and unassuming. Not the show-off, look at me, look at me, type. She is also academically gifted which makes her look like what some folks call - geek? Well, she was bullied. Now, she isn't.

So, I don't agree with you at all, Nat, because as a parent, I find many parents in school who agree with me that karate is to
learn how to discipline yourself,
improve level of self esteem/fitness
DEFEND yourself (she's not attacking anyone, is she?)
prevent yourself from being bullied by not being a soft target.

If you are a parent of a very quiet, unassuming and bullied child, then, I will take your advice seriously here in this context. smile.gif Put yourself in MY shoes for once... and think about it. Think about it. smile.gif

EDIT
1. Genuine apologies if I hurt anyone by my frank honesty.
2. A parent has to do what a parent HAS to do to avoid her kid going through the same trauma (of being bullied without redress) as the parent did in childhood. The school can't (not won't) help at times.

#33 Guest: saxlover_*

Guest: saxlover_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2005 - 09:39

What are you talking about?? One of the first rules of karate that I was taught, and so should everyone else, is to not use karate for anything other than defending yourself.

#34 Guest: shimmer_*

Guest: shimmer_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2005 - 09:54

WWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
Does this thread count if you've had a bad month?????
Well, none of my friends are talking to me and I don't know why. One has suddenly become best friends with a girl that neither of us liked 3 months ago but now they totally ignore me. Her brother doesn't talk to me and another friend doesn't even look at me.
Then, one of my other friends never leaves me alone and is always dragging me away from my best friend which upsets her.
On top of that my sister's are making my life miserable, I'm always in trouble at home and we're moving house.
Sigh.

That's better!!

#35 Guest: Capoeira Girl_*

Guest: Capoeira Girl_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2005 - 10:01

Take up Karate!! cool.gif

#36 Guest: shimmer_*

Guest: shimmer_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2005 - 10:04

My friend has an interesting way of letting off steam - he takes an axe to the pile of firewood in the garden.
When my I've seen my friends (well ex-friends) and been upset by them I thump out 'Learn to be Lonely' on the piano then stick my nose in a book. The characters in there tend to be in more trouble than me.

#37 Guest: Capoeira Girl_*

Guest: Capoeira Girl_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2005 - 10:09

i once saw a great way for letting off steam, breaking plates biggrin.gif
it was at this gala thing and all the kids were paying to try and through balls to break plates. it was really funny to watch.

#38 Guest: chocolatedog_*

Guest: chocolatedog_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2005 - 13:07

QUOTE(Tess @ Nov 19 2005, 09:12 AM)
QUOTE(another crazy pianist @ Nov 18 2005, 09:36 PM)
Don't worry, things will turn better  smile.gif

View Post

QUOTE(saxlover @ Nov 18 2005, 09:38 PM)
Hmm...

View Post

Things don't always get better, you know. My toddler kid smashes his head HARD!!!!!!! yes, HARD!!!!!!!!! on the floor and wall when he gets upset (a change in routine or his music got changed) and people REALLY upset me sometimes, I tell you, when they say things like - He'll get better and snap out of it or grow out of it or You have to be firm or something? blink.gif ohmy.gif What utter nonsense! Lots of adults with his neurological condition still bang their heads repetitively against the wall literally whenever they experience a meltdown or a change in routine... and has to be stopped by a pal. I'm not saying he can't be trained to control his extraordinary fear of change. In fact, right now we are (lovingly but seriously)training him to talk and behave in socially acceptable ways for his own sake. But some well-intentioned people (not being personal here, ACP, so please, I beg you, don't be hurt by my brutal honesty, OK?) MUST try not to say meaningless things like "things will get better", sometimes? Because that phrase means nothing to someone who is down or depressed...

What's consoling is NOT "circumstances will change" but that I myself find the courage/energy/grace/hope/etc. to change/cope. I have a friend who writes to me and longs for a normal life - to be able to sit up like normal folks and stand like everyone else instead of lying on her back all day and all night. I sat with her saying nothing knowing not what to say. Loss for words. Then she said - Thanks. I asked - What for? She replied - For being there. It'd be nice to be there for one another if we can.

View Post

It's like saying 'don't worry, your time will come' to someone who's been trying for a baby for several years.................................

#39 Guest: katyjay_*

Guest: katyjay_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2005 - 13:58

Sympathy to everyone who's had an AAARGH-type week.

I can't say specifically "things will get better", but I do say:

I HOPE NEXT WEEK IS BETTER.

Cheers

Katyjay

#40 Guest: noodle_*

Guest: noodle_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2005 - 15:30

Thanks Katyjay. Next week really can't be any worse!

#41 Guest: Cyrilla_*

Guest: Cyrilla_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2005 - 15:47

Aw, noodle, this thread was such a good idea!

As you know, I have had an absolutely **** week and have been in tears for most of it - now gone down with a bug as a result and had to miss today's teaching (and income sad.gif ).

I would like to do Helen's scream but times 2!

The situation I'm in at the moment makes me feel like both a **** teacher and a **** person, so I'm not exactly Miss Self-Esteem just now.

So thanks to all who put nice encouraging posts and hugs to everyone - and yes, I hope we all have a better week next week!

smile.gif

#42 Guest: katyjay_*

Guest: katyjay_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2005 - 15:47

How's the cow saxophone, Noodle?

#43 Guest: july_*

Guest: july_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2005 - 16:12

Right, I think I should start panicking now: I still haven't sent off my UCAS form. Am still waiting for recommendation and have completed a pretty much finished personal statement. I have to send it off next week....
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

#44 Guest: nicki_flute_*

Guest: nicki_flute_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2005 - 16:42

QUOTE(katyjay @ Nov 19 2005, 03:47 PM)
How's the cow saxophone, Noodle?

View Post

laugh.gif

#45 Guest: Choddy_*

Guest: Choddy_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2005 - 17:33

Arggggh! On Thursday I was playing in front of about 500 people at my school awards evening. I was in a brass ensemble, with my on euphonium and 4 trumpets. And we had to repeat the tune from the top of the page. I saw one trumpet tell another trumpet something, and wondered what it was. Just as I had started playing the first time bar, he leaned over to me and said "No repeat". So i carried on playing in the hope that they would too, but they stopped, and I still carried on going unsure.gif unsure.gif And then he went "stop" and I stopped. But it was going so well!!! sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif