#1 adultpianist

adultpianist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Member: 888829

Posted 12 July 2018 - 20:18

Some of you are carrying on with lessons because you have a private teacher and some like me go to music school where they have the usual summer break for 6 weeks.   I have no idea what my flute teacher will set me to do over the summer but I usually have things to do for piano.  This time I will set myself the mammoth task of playing the entire piece of Bach Invention 13.  It has been hard going and it has taken a long time to complete it bar by bar and I am three bars from the end so now that I know how it should be played, I want to challenge myself to play it from start to finish.  That will be my summer piano as well as doing a few sight reading tests.  I hope I can do it.  The biggest issue for me is that I have never played anything so hard and so long and have to give so much attention to detail as you do with Bach,

What is everyone else doing that has a summer break?  My last piano lesson is next week

#2 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22874 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 12 July 2018 - 20:22

This year my teacher is teaching most of the summer. She's having one week off and I have a week at summer school so it's pretty much business as usual.

I'm have two weeks when I'm not teaching. One when I'm looking after three grandchildren and the week when I'm at summer school.

#3 tulip21

tulip21

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Member: 898887

Posted 12 July 2018 - 20:50

The music school I attend offers summer lessons. One of my teachers only teaches 3-4 lessons during July and August because he goes on holidays and stuff. Another teacher teaches all summer, since she has lots of time.

#4 helen_flute

helen_flute

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Member: 898089

Posted 12 July 2018 - 20:52

My teacher is taking about a month off, and I had my last lesson a couple of weeks back. I have quite a few things to work on: learning my final piece for my G8 exam, planned for the autumn; commit my scales to memory; work on aural tests (I’m doing Trinity, and have a workbook of sample G6-8 aural tests to start going through).

The piece I’m learning is the first movement of the Poulenc flute sonata, which is forcing me to finally tackle double tonguing. I really love the piece, so it’s worth the effort. I’m keeping my other exam pieces ticking along (Andante from the Prokofiev flute & piano sonata, Bach Partita in A Allemande) too.

I’m also playing some of my favourite odds and ends when all that work gets a bit much. Earlier this week, I played a piece that I last played 20 odd years ago in my G6 exam, when I made a total mess off it. I tried playing it this time last year, when I’d just started having lessons again, and couldn’t manage it at all. This week, I picked it up for some light relief, and played it all the way through, pretty much note perfect, for the first time since 1991. Felt great, and really helped me to focus.

#5 adultpianist

adultpianist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 20:54

yes Tulip but what will YOU be doig

#6 adultpianist

adultpianist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 20:59

Helen flute, I know a lady who when she was younger took up the flute.   She abandoned it when she got to a point where she had to learn double tonguing and found it too hard.  Now she no longer plays even simple tunes on the flute.  I think it is a pity that you spend so much time and effort on learning an instrument only to give up completely because you have reached a stage in the learning process that is too difficult.  I would like to add that everything is difficult until you master whatever the skill is but you need to have enough drive and determination to get over the hurdle and move on which I do.   (I am not blowing my own trumpet here, pardon the phrase) tongue.pngtrumpet3.gif

#7 helen_flute

helen_flute

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 21:11

I’m pretty determined to rise to the challenge!

I gave up originally when I moved into a flat and didn’t want to annoy my neighbours. Now that I finally live in a house, the only person I annoy is my other half.

#8 Rosamund1959

Rosamund1959

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Member: 898843

Posted 12 July 2018 - 21:17

My teacher now has the summer off till September. I took grade 4 piano yesterday and have bought grade 5 music to start getting to grips with it before we meet again as I hope to take the exam in the Feb/March period.

#9 tulip21

tulip21

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Member: 898887

Posted 12 July 2018 - 21:17

yes Tulip but what will YOU be doig

I'm learning new pieces on piano, since my teacher is unavailable most of the summer. With violin, I'm taking an exam in August and playing in my church band. With viola, I mostly just fool around when I feel like it, since I have nothing to do (don't take viola lessons). I might play viola in church band if need be, and teach myself some new pieces if need be.

#10 Steven Carr

Steven Carr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Member: 286204

Posted 13 July 2018 - 14:11

I will be attempting to learn 'Stairway to Heaven' - Dan Coates arrangement.  It is on You Tube

#11 Sylvette

Sylvette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Member: 895486
  • Gloucestershire, UK

Posted 13 July 2018 - 15:16

My singing teacher is flying to Peru today for three weeks, so my next lesson is not until August 7th, then I am away in the middle of August.  Once I get back, we will carry on with lessons as normal as I am preparing for G8 Musical Theatre in the autumn.

Next Monday is the last piano lesson of term.  After that, my teacher wants to work on an ad hoc basis, so we will work out each week whether/when we re free to arrange a lesson.

#12 adultpianist

adultpianist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 20:26

It is now officially my summer break and as I said to myself and my piano teacher my aim and goal is to try and see if I can play Bach invention 13 from beginning to end without stopping.   However because I have not played the first part of it for a while I had to refresh it and it is going ok.  It is coming back to me and I have now almost completed the first page of the two page piece.   I am not rushing it because I don't go back until September. 

#13 gav_1988

gav_1988

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Member: 416492
  • Stoke-on-Trent

Posted 06 August 2018 - 12:59

Sounds good - enjoy! 

I've still got lessons booked over the summer - my plan for the foreseeable is to focus on my grade 5 stuff. The original intention was to take it this summer, but I decided to put it on hold until November. I've changed two of my pieces, so there's plenty to keep me going, as well as getting the scales more comfortably under my fingers.

#14 helen_flute

helen_flute

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 18:16

My lessons start again in three weeks time, and it's just as well because I'm having a bit of a crisis of confidence, and my teacher always manages to make me feel like I can play after all. I seem to be forgetting all my scales, and don't feel much further forward learning the Poulenc.

If I'm being kind to myself, I should remind myself that I started a stressful new position at work last week, and I've not been very well, but it's hard not to panic and feel I'm never going to be ready for my exam in November.

#15 adultpianist

adultpianist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 19:01

There is no point doing something you don't feel ready for.   It would be better to put it on hold until you do feel ready.   I hope you feel better now.