• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Member: 656906
  • Leigh, Lancashire

Posted 11 June 2015 - 12:10

Howarths do a useful-looking screwdriver-
http://www.howarth.u...id=34190&clo=uk

Thanks for posting this Jim. I already had a small screwdriver with a wooden handle which came with my oboe, which Iike but of thes ones you posted a picture of came with my Lorée cor anglais. It has always annoyed me because the end of the handle moves - it never occurred to me to unscrew it completely and look inside!

Lol!

I'm definitely going to get one of these to keep in my case for running repairs.

#17 Rosemary7391

Rosemary7391

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8063 posts
  • Member: 7195
  • Glasgow

Posted 11 June 2015 - 14:33

I have this for my clarinet, although it was only £25 when I bought it! I've also supplemented it with a crochet hook and elastic bands (changed periodically as they deteriorate).

#18 Crotchettymoomoo

Crotchettymoomoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Member: 656906
  • Leigh, Lancashire

Posted 12 June 2015 - 07:28

I have this for my clarinet, although it was only £25 when I bought it! I've also supplemented it with a crochet hook and elastic bands (changed periodically as they deteriorate).

I think that is the sort of thing I had in mind wether it be made up of individual bits or bought as a complete kit. £45 is quite expensive but I suppose you're paying for the convenience of having it all in one place rather than sourcing and putting it together yourself and balanced against the costs of minor repairs you can do with it to paying someone else it might well be worth the investment.

I've only had a loose screw so far but guaranteed something else will happen eventually (probably just after my free servicing expires!).

#19 Rosemary7391

Rosemary7391

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8063 posts
  • Member: 7195
  • Glasgow

Posted 12 June 2015 - 09:28

I think that is the sort of thing I had in mind wether it be made up of individual bits or bought as a complete kit. £45 is quite expensive but I suppose you're paying for the convenience of having it all in one place rather than sourcing and putting it together yourself and balanced against the costs of minor repairs you can do with it to paying someone else it might well be worth the investment.

I've only had a loose screw so far but guaranteed something else will happen eventually (probably just after my free servicing expires!).

Yes, it seemed much more reasonable at £25! I like that it has pads/cork and the appropriate glues, so usually if I can see what is wrong I can fix it - if I dare! (AKA more often on my not so great A rather than my very nice Bb..)

#20 Maruja

Maruja

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Member: 629271

Posted 12 June 2015 - 16:02

I use the sticky bits of post its to wedge under a key if the pad isn't high enough (currently for the long fingering of the e flat). I don't seem to be able to find a technician that can adjust this properly, but a sticky piece of paper works well. Problem is that it falls out (obviously) when you take the clari apart...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Screwdriver, clarinet