Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Member: 899488
  • London

Posted 04 July 2019 - 08:08

Any recommendations, other than Syrinx, which I bought yesterday?

Did Benjamin Britten write anything for solo flute?

#2 Arundodonuts

Arundodonuts

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6217 posts
  • Member: 30881
  • Stockport

Posted 04 July 2019 - 10:27

Britten? The only thin I'm aware of is Gemini Variations for flute, violin and piano.

You could probably adapt "Six Metamorphoses after Ovid" which is for solo oboe. Hardly beginner stuff though.

#3 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • London

Posted 04 July 2019 - 10:56

Yes, I did some of the Metamorphoses for grade 8 oboe, so I could buy another copy.

#4 Arundodonuts

Arundodonuts

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6217 posts
  • Member: 30881
  • Stockport

Posted 04 July 2019 - 11:27

Ah OK, so not exactly a beginner then?

#5 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • London

Posted 04 July 2019 - 12:36

I'd call myself a beginner on the flute, but I don't see any point in starting with A Tune A Day, lol!

#6 zwhe

zwhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 04 July 2019 - 20:29

I'm not sure jumping straight in with a diploma-level piece is going to be the easiest way to learn! 

#7 JimD

JimD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • Member: 159407
  • Washington UK

Posted 05 July 2019 - 06:39

Gordon, I think you'll just discourage yourself if you try to learn something like Syrinx straight away.

However advanced your musical knowledge is, you still have to learn how to produce the sound properly and it'll take time for your embouchure to develop the necessary strength and flexibility. You wouldn't start with the heaviest weights on your first day at the gym!

#8 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • London

Posted 05 July 2019 - 10:45

Let's not get too earnest. If I were serious about the flute, these caveats would be pertinent, but I'm really not serious at all - it's a £66 flute and I bought it for a bit of fun - as a toy, really. As I say in another thread, the violin is 1,000 times more important to me. (no offence to flautists). I can play Syrinx as slowly as I like. No-one will ever hear me.

When I was a teenager I had a couple of pianist friends and by the time we were all about grade 4 or 5 on the piano we'd be getting the big concertos out of the public library (Hampshire public libraries were among the best in the country in the 70s) - Grieg, Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninov and hammer away at them memorising the opening bars. It was what we did for fun in those days.

#9 Clovis

Clovis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Member: 892962

Posted 05 July 2019 - 17:00

Solo flute? No piano accompaniment?

If that's what you're after then I've recently been enjoying Astor Piazzolla's Tango Etudes, and some Chinese music for bamboo flute (I play it on my Western instrument). I'm around Grade 6 standard.

Nothing by Britten for solo flute, I'm afraid.

#10 ellie_the_little_elephant

ellie_the_little_elephant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Member: 45895
  • Manchester

Posted 05 July 2019 - 22:41

The Berkeley sonatina reminds me of Britten (which isn’t that surprising given their relationship at one point). Similar to Debussy might be the Ravel Pavane Pour Une Infante Defuncte, or if you want solo flute the Poulenc Une Jouer De Flute Berce Les Ruines.

#11 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • London

Posted 08 July 2019 - 13:27

some Chinese music for bamboo flute (I play it on my Western instrument). I'm around Grade 6 standard.

ABRSM are quite keen on Chinese music in their violin exam books, I've noticed (at the lower levels, at least). So I had a quick look on Amazon, but the only thing I saw was very expensive. There may be free stuff online.

#12 helen_flute

helen_flute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Member: 898089

Posted 08 July 2019 - 16:57

I don't know if there's any Chinese music there, but flutetunes.com has, unsurprisingly, a seemingly endless supply of free flute music of all levels, including Syrinx and a solo arrangement of Debussy's Prelude a l'apre Midi d'un Faune. It also has the Ravel Pavane Pour Une Infante Defuncte, which is really beautiful when arranged for flute.

It's worth checking out. There's a good variety of music, including lots of classic flute repertoire, folk music etc, and it's classified by standard, so easy for you to avoid the Tune A Day books while getting to grips with your flute, and to find music you enjoy without spending any money.

#13 Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • London

Posted 08 July 2019 - 18:27

It also has the Ravel Pavane Pour Une Infante Defuncte, which is really beautiful when arranged for flute.

By coincidence I bought that for piano from a charity shop less than 2 weeks ago.