#61 YellowLemon77

YellowLemon77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Member: 897222
  • South Wales

Posted 11 April 2019 - 18:38

helen_flute... Yes I keep telling myself that, too... Nerves are an expression of my passion. I have also been in this exam room and played on the piano. Can't ask for more really.

Will keep you all posted.

#62 YellowLemon77

YellowLemon77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • South Wales

Posted 12 April 2019 - 12:46

I have just finished my Grade 2 exam. The examiner was such a lovely guy. About my age. Kind face.

If I am lucky and the examiner was feeling generous (possibly felt sorry for me!), I may have *just* scraped a Merit.

I messed up my E Minor scale royally and possibly a bit of D Minor. I also completely messed up ALL three prepared pieces.

Aural was great and sight reading was easier than expected :) so we will see. No way is there a distinction this time, though.

The exam was not reflective of my skill and Grade 2 is in the bag, whatever the results are. I am *very* much looking forward to playing something new. Onwards and upwards now.

Not sure when the results come out but I am not overly concerned. The exam was the hard bit ;)

Thanks for all of your support folks.

#63 Dr. Rogers

Dr. Rogers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Member: 898997

Posted 12 April 2019 - 13:02

Congratulations, YellowLemon77!  Aren't you glad it's over with?  And didn't I say something bout sight reading not being too scary? laugh.png  Now go play something fun!

For us adults, especially those of us with medical problems, I think passing should be the goal.  I know my arthritic hands can't compete with the young hotshots, but still I try anyway.

#64 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1317 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 12 April 2019 - 13:14

A big well done from me, YL!  Fingers crossed for solid mark.

#65 YellowLemon77

YellowLemon77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • South Wales

Posted 12 April 2019 - 13:46

Thanks both. I already had a cry, its over now and I am just relieved... I will be interested to read the examiners comments. I do hope that despite my mistakes, that my musicality came through, especially on Song and Allegretto. I am sure I passed but the fun bit now will be seeing the comments (and whether its a Pass or a Merit), for sure.
I look forward to the feedback. Onwards and upwards. So excited to be moving on :)

#66 hennylemon

hennylemon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Member: 898652

Posted 12 April 2019 - 14:05

Thanks both. I already had a cry, its over now and I am just relieved... I will be interested to read the examiners comments. I do hope that despite my mistakes, that my musicality came through, especially on Sond and Allegretto. I am sure I passed but the fun bit now will be seeing the comments (and whether its a Pass of a Merit), for sure.
I look forward to the feedback. Onwards and upwards. So excited to be moving on smile.png

Aw, in my Grade 1 piano exam I had to restart a section in my first piece because I had a total black out but I still got 26 points for it so you never know! And yes it's the best thing when you feel like you can properly move on to learning new stuff after an exam!

#67 YellowLemon77

YellowLemon77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • South Wales

Posted 12 April 2019 - 16:09

Thanks hennylemon. I am not hopeful. I am philosophical about it. Its done now eh. Never say never I guess.

#68 helen_flute

helen_flute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Member: 898089

Posted 12 April 2019 - 17:11

Well done YellowLemon! I am sure that you will have done better than it feels at the moment, and keep reminding yourself of how well the aural and sight reading went.

Musicality goes a long way, and I definitely wouldn't worry about restarting if I were you. I got totally lost in one of my pieces in my recent flute exam, to the extent that I stopped playing and had to "find" my accompanist again. It turned out to be the piece I got the best marks for. It wouldn't surprise me if your experience ends up being similar.

Fingers crossed for your results!

#69 YellowLemon77

YellowLemon77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • South Wales

Posted 12 April 2019 - 20:30

helen_flute, I am not hopeful but thankful for your encouragement all the same. I am okay. Better than I thought I would should this have happened. At least thats 2 performance exams experienced now. I will be even more prepared at Grade 3 :) Ha ha!

Yes the musicality is a big element for me, I will have to wait and see if I reflected this even through the mistakes.

To be honest, I felt worse for my Teacher. I know she won't be worried about it but I really wanted to do her proud.

#70 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1343 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted 13 April 2019 - 06:04

My G7 flute is scheduled for May 9th. Preparation has been a roller-coaster as my teacher suddenly gave up for her other career, so 10 weeks without lessons. Have struck lucky and found a truly top-class teacher and performer who I've been with for a month now. He's doing real root and branch stuff on my technique, which is a bit alarming at this stage. I feel like a renovation project!

The most worrying are still the scales which I have found appallingly difficult on flute. Three weeks to go and I'm still having big problems remembering, and playing automatically at first attempt is still a dream. I still need to apply every practice technique under the sun with each one before being able to play it through at least steadily. I'm enjoying the pieces even though I've been persuaded to change my unaccompanied piece to another one at this rather late stage .... All rather alarming! I will be happy if I pass although I would be disappointed to do poorly on my pieces.

Is it OK to play the pieces in any order? I'd like to do them in List B, A then C order.
Moskowski Spanish Dance no. 2
Telemann Sonata in G
Bizet Toreador's Song

Well done to all the success stories so far!

#71 helen_flute

helen_flute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Member: 898089

Posted 13 April 2019 - 12:05

You still have time to pull things together for your scales, dorfmouse. It was the scales I was most worried about, and doing lots and lots of practice really paid off, and I ended up getting really good marks for them. It’s really good that you’ve found a great teacher to work with.

You can do your pieces in any order, although it’s usual to do your accompanied pieces first so your accompanist doesn’t have to hang around too long. Is this your first flute exam?

Good luck over the next few weeks!

#72 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1343 posts
  • Germany

Posted 13 April 2019 - 14:12

Thank you for your encouragement helen flute. Yes, it's my first flute exam, talk about in at the deep end!!
At least I have now two weeks Easter break, which instantly frees up the 2+ hours usually spent on the motorway!

#73 YellowLemon77

YellowLemon77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • South Wales

Posted 14 April 2019 - 14:36

Good luck dorfmouse! You will be great! Make the most of Easter to practise :)

#74 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1343 posts
  • Germany

Posted 14 April 2019 - 17:46

Thank you. Since it's Easter I shall have to reward myself with reeeeal chocolate!

#75 YellowLemon77

YellowLemon77

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • South Wales

Posted 14 April 2019 - 19:40

Totally!

Does anyone know what the current turnaround is from exam day to online results please? Or is it still quite variable?