Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5741 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 05 February 2019 - 14:16

Can anyone help? Today in my organ lesson I asked my teacher if, at G2, changes between manuals would be required. In one of my exam pieces, there are a number of changes printed in, but in the other two, there are no such stipulations. Does that mean it is left up to the feelings (and skill laugh.png) of the player, or does is rather indicate that no changes are needed / recommended? My organ teacher hasn't actually done exam prep with anyone else, and is unsure. I can list the pieces I'm planning to do (summer sessions) if it would help.

Also, would changes of registration be advisable? I don't think this is an actual requirement until G3.

There is also a problem that happens intermittently on the great manual, in the form of an A staying down even after I release it. Would I be penalised for this? The organ is very old, has undergone extensive reburbishment / repair a few years ago, and no further work is currently due. It is possible (or even likely?) that the examiner might try out the organ, and the A might not stick. Would it be right to advise him in case it happens during an exam piece? 

Many thanks.

#2 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17317 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 05 February 2019 - 14:31

I'd change manuals when indicated in the one piece. If you and teacher feel there is scope for a manual change in the others, then it does usually help. The same would apply to a registration change, provided you can do it smoothly.  Id certainly tell th examiner about the sticky 'A'.  Are you having to travel to mainland to take the exam ?

#3 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5741 posts
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 05 February 2019 - 17:09

Thanks, f#minor. No, as far as I know I won't be travelling to the mainland for the exam - I will just do it at my local Church. (I will be freaked out quite enough without having to cope with an unfamiliar instrument!) There isn't a piano at the Church, but my teacher thinks - as there will almost certainly be other summer session exams - that I can do the aural with the other exams earlier / later where there will be pianos available.

Scary, huh?!unsure.png

#4 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17317 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 05 February 2019 - 18:36

Aurals were done on the organ in my day, but it was in the early 60's when I did Gr5 Gr6 and Gr8.  Anyway  Good luck with it !

#5 Vox Humana

Vox Humana

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1143 posts
  • Member: 58391

Posted 05 February 2019 - 18:40

If there is no piano the examiner will need to play the aural tests on the organ so you will certainly need to warn him/her about the sticky A. I thought that the aural tests had to be taken at the same time as the practical, but I am very happy to be corrected on this. Hopefully your teacher has checked this out with the board.

#6 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5741 posts
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 06 February 2019 - 10:46

If there is no piano the examiner will need to play the aural tests on the organ so you will certainly need to warn him/her about the sticky A. I thought that the aural tests had to be taken at the same time as the practical, but I am very happy to be corrected on this. Hopefully your teacher has checked this out with the board.

The syllabus says there has to be a piano, and yes, ideally the aural tests would be done at the same time as the practical. But I can't "invent" a piano at the Church, and my teacher thinks that a 5-minute trip down the road to where the other candidates will be taking exams won't be a problem. I wouldn't have thought so either, but as you say, it should really be checked with the board. I can't really see the difficulty with doing the aurals on an organ (as f#minor says they used to be) so perhaps if we have a "friendly" examiner, perhaps he might just do it there and then. Many thanks for the feedback.

#7 Vox Humana

Vox Humana

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1143 posts
  • Member: 58391

Posted 06 February 2019 - 11:04

When you mentioned earlier/later I thought you meant on another occasion. If it is just a short trundle down the road I doubt that will be any problem.  I thought I remembered the piano being essential, but when I tried to check on the ABRSM website for the aural requirements I couldn't find the relevant bit of the printed syllabus, only html versions, which didn't say anything about this. As you can tell, I'm a bit out of touch. It's years since I have entered anyone for an exam!