Bruised Neck

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest: Rosie91_*

Guest: Rosie91_*
  • Guests
  • Member: 0

Posted 10 March 2010 - 20:34

Is a bruise on the neck just something that happens to some violinists and not others, or does it show you're too tense when you play? mine is quite noticeable. Including lessons, practice, orchestra and quartet I probably play about 2.5 hours a day. Also, the fact it's there is one thing, but should I be at all worried that it occasionally feels a bit 'twingey'?

Thanks for any help.

#2 icklechick

icklechick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Member: 44963

Posted 10 March 2010 - 20:43

I used to get what suspiciously looked like a love bite when playing the violin! It must have been something to do with my old violin though because I haven't had it with my new one.

#3 jojo

jojo

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5231 posts
  • Member: 8716

Posted 10 March 2010 - 21:03

QUOTE(icklechick @ Mar 10 2010, 08:43 PM) View Post

I used to get what suspiciously looked like a love bite when playing the violin! It must have been something to do with my old violin though because I haven't had it with my new one.

rofl.gif your old violin gave you 'lovebites?' laugh.gif wink.gif wink.gif

#4 Fran*Piano

Fran*Piano

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3445 posts
  • Member: 79153

Posted 10 March 2010 - 21:46

QUOTE(icklechick @ Mar 10 2010, 08:43 PM) View Post

I've had this once before too blush.gif unfortunately, it also developed the day I went to my boyfriend's band practice-awkward situation, or what? Fortunately, one of the others had a violinist girlfriend, so we didn't get the mick taken TOO much.... blush.gif

#5 viola-mad

viola-mad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 859 posts
  • Member: 33908

Posted 11 March 2010 - 11:40

QUOTE(Rosie91 @ Mar 10 2010, 08:34 PM) View Post
Is a bruise on the neck just something that happens to some violinists and not others, or does it show you're too tense when you play? mine is quite noticeable. Including lessons, practice, orchestra and quartet I probably play about 2.5 hours a day. Also, the fact it's there is one thing, but should I be at all worried that it occasionally feels a bit 'twingey'?
Hi Rosie. Lots of violinists have a mark on their neck. Mine certainly increases in size and redness if I'm doing a lot of playing, and certainly 2.5 hours every day would be enough to do that. I'm not sure whether it's a reaction to the fiddle's varnish or to the nickel on the chinrest, or whether it's just down to the pressure and movement of the instrument. Either way it can get a bit sore with lots of playing, and some people like to put a chamois leather between the instrument and their skin. Just an ordinary one like you can buy in halford's or similar.

However I've never heard of it being described as twingy. I'm not clear whether you mean in a musculo-skeletal way (in which case you might want to get a second opinion on your playing posture) or whether the pain is just in the skin. I guess it's possible the mark could have become infected, so if this is the case then perhaps ask your doctor or a pharmacist about it. Good luck.

#6 miffy

miffy

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2593 posts
  • Member: 43225

Posted 11 March 2010 - 12:08

I have one too, the skin on it is slightly rougher as well and it can feel a bit sensitive at times, but if you're concerned it's always worth getting it checked out.
I've started using a 'Strad Pad', a soft piece of latex or something that goes over and down the back of the chinrest which has reduced the problem. It's also helped keep my violin feeling secure as I had slippy problems when hot before and my chin and neck was getting sweaty when I practised for a long time.

#7 Terra

Terra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Member: 66111
  • S.E.England

Posted 14 March 2010 - 19:41

I have a padded chinrest. I got it from ebay for about £5. It took a while to come because it was made in china but it's extreemly well made and I have never got pain from playing violin on my colar bone again. I used to get a sore neck and colar bone but it really helps.