#3211 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7419 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 14 January 2019 - 10:35

If I had a child in this teacher's class I would at once opt for home schooling!

#3212 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4733 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 17 January 2019 - 08:16

Our language has obviously become impoverished of late, as there seems to be no viable alternative to the words 'catastrophic' and 'toxic'.
I'm feeling genuine annoyance nowadays when I hear these words; apart from the hyperbole, it's just so unimaginative.
Exaggeration is unhelpful, and like the ubiquitous f-word, loses its impact with over-use.

#3213 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19802 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 17 January 2019 - 09:05

Our language has obviously become impoverished of late, as there seems to be no viable alternative to the words 'catastrophic' and 'toxic'.
I'm feeling genuine annoyance nowadays when I hear these words; apart from the hyperbole, it's just so unimaginative.
Exaggeration is unhelpful, and like the ubiquitous f-word, loses its impact with over-use.

I will add ‘incredibly’ and ‘carnage’ to your list.

#3214 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17376 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 17 January 2019 - 09:05

Why do most weather forecasters  use the phrase  ....from the word 'go' ....  . Its as if someone up there shouts 'go' and some weather type begins !

#3215 Violin Hero

Violin Hero

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3704 posts
  • Member: 26561
  • South London

Posted 17 January 2019 - 11:00

It was raining earlier today but has stopped now. Its a bit chilly as well.

#3216 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17376 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 14:40

It was raining earlier today but has stopped now. Its a bit chilly as well.

offTopic.gif  Should be on 'whats the weather like' thread'

#3217 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14579 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 27 January 2019 - 14:05

I've just come across this beauty in an Amazon review:

'I haven’t totally filled my box but eight rolls still leaves room for more plus other bits and peace’s.'

rolleyes.gif

#3218 Aeolienne

Aeolienne

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1899 posts
  • Member: 16983
  • Leamington Spa, Warks

Posted 30 January 2019 - 13:31

This week I was invited to join a Meetup group called Inspire'drolleyes.gif

#3219 Splog

Splog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3333 posts
  • Member: 460379

Posted 30 January 2019 - 14:49

I've just come across this beauty in an Amazon review:

'I haven’t totally filled my box but eight rolls still leaves room for more plus other bits and peace’s.'

rolleyes.gif

Actually something quite sweet about that laugh.png

#3220 zwhe

zwhe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Member: 898658

Posted 30 January 2019 - 15:15

Please could someone send me a box of peace!

#3221 Aeolienne

Aeolienne

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1899 posts
  • Member: 16983
  • Leamington Spa, Warks

Posted 05 March 2019 - 14:05

Also the word "nightmare". Being delayed at an airport is a nuisance, but it's hardly reminiscent of Edgar Allan Poe.

Have you noticed the increasingly common habit to begin sentences with "so"? It's almost like the new "like", like... Yesterday I saw an instance of this pernicious practice in a PowerPoint presentation. I reproduce the offending slide word-for-word (and comma-for-comma) below. For the record, the title of the presentation was "Widening access to apprenticeships".

BETTER FOR SOCIETY

So we know employment is beneficial for the individual, for the public purse, but employing a diverse workforce is also important for businesses. This isn't about charity.

Supporting employment for young people with moderate - severe learning difficulties could increase their income by 55%-95% over their lifetime, and reduce the costs to the public purse by £1 million per person.

You may already be aware that the UK has around 10 million disabled customers - that's about 20% of all customers - and it's been estimated that their combined annual spending power of £212 billion.

Having a disability inclusive workforce can enable employers to better understand and engage with their customers, and respond appropriately to the market

First time I've seen the superfluous initial "so" in writing... rolleyes.gif

#3222 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2547 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 05 March 2019 - 14:37

Also the word "nightmare". Being delayed at an airport is a nuisance, but it's hardly reminiscent of Edgar Allan Poe.

Have you noticed the increasingly common habit to begin sentences with "so"? It's almost like the new "like", like... Yesterday I saw an instance of this pernicious practice in a PowerPoint presentation. I reproduce the offending slide word-for-word (and comma-for-comma) below. For the record, the title of the presentation was "Widening access to apprenticeships".

BETTER FOR SOCIETY

So we know employment is beneficial for the individual, for the public purse, but employing a diverse workforce is also important for businesses. This isn't about charity.

Supporting employment for young people with moderate - severe learning difficulties could increase their income by 55%-95% over their lifetime, and reduce the costs to the public purse by £1 million per person.

You may already be aware that the UK has around 10 million disabled customers - that's about 20% of all customers - and it's been estimated that their combined annual spending power of £212 billion.

Having a disability inclusive workforce can enable employers to better understand and engage with their customers, and respond appropriately to the market

I hate it too. Hate it, hate it, hate it.

#3223 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17376 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 15:20

BETTER FOR SOCIETY

I hate it too. Hate it, hate it, hate it.

I also had noticed the starting of sentences with 'so', particularly when answering a question.  Its is annoying and completely unnecessary

#3224 elemimele

elemimele

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 05 March 2019 - 19:10

So what are you going to do about it?

#3225 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19802 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 05 March 2019 - 20:17

‘It has been the norm to expel girls from school in Tanzania if they get pregnant for more than four decades’

Wow!