#17851 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7411 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 01 November 2018 - 14:15

I don't really know where to post this question so opted for the Random thread. On 24th November I am giving the annual  tea-party for the children who did exams in the summer. I usually do this much earlier but as I  was ill at the beginning of the school year it is one of the things that hasn't yet been caught up. My question is, has anyone any ideas about healthy tea party food? I have been guilty in the past of giving them sweets and chocolate cakes and biscuits, crisps  and all sorts of things they like but which are not very good for them. I won't have time to do any home baking and on the day will have about an hour and a half to get chairs and tables and food in place.. Can anyone suggest how I can concoct a tea- party the children will enjoy but I won't feel guilty about?  Brothers and sisters also come so I am likely to have about forty children from around  two to seventeen years.

#17852 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3395 posts
  • Member: 711500

Posted 01 November 2018 - 14:24

I suppose fruit would be good, or vegetable pieces with dips. I'm afraid at my Christmas concert we unashamedly have cakes, in fact most of the mums offer to bring one. If you've had party style food before, might your pupils be disappointed if it wasn't on offer this time.

#17853 HelenVJ

HelenVJ

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2072 posts
  • Member: 1265
  • South-East London ( OK - Penge)

Posted 01 November 2018 - 15:40

Get everyone ( well, each family) to bring food and drink to share. Doesn't really matter if you get an unbalanced mixture of stuff.

#17854 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6470 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 01 November 2018 - 17:09

I don't think you need to worry about feeling guilty that children/teens are eating food that is not good for them.  It's only once in a while that you do this.  You don't want them to be disappointed, but you have to take care of yourself too.

So I'd agree with others - ask parents to supply a plate of food - a big cake to cut, or little cakes, or sausage rolls (if French people have sausage rolls - or something similar), or other nibbles. If you're feeling particularly guilty, a bunch of grapes and some satsumas should ease your conscience.  That's a lot of children to cater for as an individual, so it's very reasonable to ask parents to help organise.

#17855 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7411 posts

Posted 01 November 2018 - 18:13

Thank you for your reassurances. So I will go along with my usual stuff and perhaps simply add in a bit of fresh fruit as hedgehog suggests. I don't give nuts because of the toddlers who come along. I can't ask parents to bring something because they already do that at the end of year concert and this is my treat for the children who worked specially hard during the year. Some parents do offer  of their own accord and I accept  gratefully but I don't actually ask them.

So it will be off to the supermarket for the usual cakes, crisps  and carambar bars - caution thrown to the wind and yes, Latin Pianist - I had wondered about disappointment so I will salve my conscience by telling myself it is only once a year.

(I did provide rather garish sweets for the Halloween group of children from the village who came in disguise  last night - accompanied by the organising adults - who didn't seem a bit worried about the sugar level!)

#17856 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6632 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 03 November 2018 - 12:06

Second hardest part of going to the hairdresser: choosing what to read on my Kindle.  Not currently got a book part-read on there, so have the 48 unread things on there to pick between.  It does have to be Kindle, because when I'm at the hairdressers I have 45+ minutes reading without my glasses on, which requires the super-enormous-zoomy font size an ereader provides biggrin.png

Hardest part of going to the hairdresser: Thinking up an answer for the almost inevitable "what are you reading?" question.  If I pick something popular-fiction-obvious I'm likely to end up out of my depth if it turns out they know it...but the truth doesn't help small talk when I'm already in a situation where I'm feeling completely awkward (e.g. "A biography of Antarctica", "An introduction to volcanoes", "A social history of decapitation" - pretty much anything non-fiction seems to floor people [and yes, these are all books I've actually read at the hairdressers in the past!]) tongue.pnglaugh.png

#17857 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7411 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 16:15

I used to take my Kindle to the hairdresser's but I couldn't cope with her obvious disappointment when I didn't want to be swamped with all the magazines containing articles on the British royal family  their distant European relatives and the various political personalities  and" people"  the French love to adore  - having deprived themselves of their own royal family. I'm non the wiser as I forget it all the minute I have read it!

#17858 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6632 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 17:09

[Moved this in here, as I'd accidentally posted this on the gardening thread!!]

I decided on an anthology of short stories in the end.  But the place was heaving and I didn't have to engage in any small talk - there was enough general chit chat and good humour in the room that I could sit quietly (and listen in and giggle from time to time).  I love the colour I get my hair done, but it does usually mean 2.5 hours of social awkwardness as I simply can't do small talk!!

Next appointment is 22nd December, so fairly safe bet they'll be busy again biggrin.png

#17859 Splog

Splog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3333 posts
  • Member: 460379

Posted 08 November 2018 - 14:43

My Hot Lips Salvia is doing very well - it's in full flower. It does tend to have a second flush, but the first flush was miserable at it coincided with the very hot weather, but it's very good at the moment: https://drive.google...5F02Ygs5iEy4WA8

Was out doing some winter clearing up and noticed that my Hot Lips has sprung back to life. It was in a pot waiting to be replanted in a sunnier spot and I thought it had died. Very happy about that. biggrin.png

#17860 Tenor Viol

Tenor Viol

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6084 posts
  • Member: 343214
  • North Shropshire

Posted 08 November 2018 - 23:54

Very bizarre week...

I had an e-mail from the MD of local choral society asking if I could sing in two concerts (Friday and Saturday), with rehearsal on Wednesday (i.e. yesterday)... Programme is Ireland 'Greater Love', Rootham 'For the Fallen' (stylistically think Stanford and Elgar), and Jenkins 'The Armed Man' all with full orchestra...

I haven't sung properly for 3 years, but apart from the Rootham I've sung the other pieces more than once. I've agreed, even though I really don't like the Jenkins at all. As a singer it's boring, repetitive, and completely uninteresting. Have 32 bars, let me copy and past it...

Second piece of strangeness. Another re-mail this time from orchestra MD: can I dep in one of his other groups for a concert in a fortnight? This time it's cello and includes Fauré's Requiem and Cantique de Jean Racine plus other stuff (some Parry). Minor detail concert and rehearsals are in Coventry... Rehearsals Thursdays... It's nearly 90 miles from the office to there - I left at 16.20 and got there at 18.35 (last 2 miles took half an hour). It's about 75 miles home and I left at 21.15 and got home at 23.00.

So, Wednesday was choral rehearsal, Thursday was orchestra in Coventry, tomorrow is concert #1, Saturday is concert #2, Sunday is my regular orchestra rehearsal in Birmingham... 

#17861 hummingbird

hummingbird

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1792 posts
  • Member: 491056

Posted 13 December 2018 - 12:53

I like a lot of Shostakovich, but I tuned into Classic FM this morning half-way through what I later discovered was The Assault on Beautiful Gorky.  My thoughts as I listened were "what a mess, it's all over the place".  I was really shocked at the end to discover that it was by Shostakovich, I'd thought it must have been written by a not-very-good-amateur.  Oh dear!

#17862 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6632 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 15:35

Not serious enough for an argh...but every single year...

* Make cake in October (the weekend after Mr Maizie birthday).

* Buy glaze, marzipan and icing in November (not that I need it, but get it so that when I do need it, it isn't sold out).

* Two weekends before Christmas, get out glaze, marzipan and cake, and realise I haven't bought a cake board.

Out in to the rain it is.  Hoping they haven't sold out...!

#17863 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17376 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 15 December 2018 - 16:07

I like a lot of Shostakovich, but I tuned into Classic FM this morning half-way through what I later discovered was The Assault on Beautiful Gorky.  My thoughts as I listened were "what a mess, it's all over the place".  I was really shocked at the end to discover that it was by Shostakovich, I'd thought it must have been written by a not-very-good-amateur.  Oh dear!

I too am a Shost fan, and agree thats one of his worst ! unsure.png

#17864 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Member: 895683

Posted 15 December 2018 - 16:34

Not serious enough for an argh...but every single year...

* Make cake in October (the weekend after Mr Maizie birthday).

* Buy glaze, marzipan and icing in November (not that I need it, but get it so that when I do need it, it isn't sold out).

* Two weekends before Christmas, get out glaze, marzipan and cake, and realise I haven't bought a cake board.

Out in to the rain it is.  Hoping they haven't sold out...!

Thanks!!!! I forgot this too. I asked my husband to get one a little while back but it was way too big for our cake so he very sensibly didn't get it... of course it then dropped off my 'mustn't forget that' list!  Hope you sorted yours!

#17865 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7411 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 16:27

All day rehearsal for the Christmas Celebration tomorrow. In the morning we set everything in place - chairs, stools, piano, sound system, stage props - and the children.  That usually leaves time for a run through of the music. In the afternoon we will run through the whole lot - music plus mime, readings and dance. The children have to get used to a new space as until now we have only been able to work in the largest classroom at the Primary school and now we are in the largest room at the lycée - it's a lot bigger and differently orientated so there is quite a bit of adjustment to do.

In the afternoon we will have another run through, this time including the nursery class. Tuesday morning is the last rehearsal and then we do the Celebration with parents present in the afternoon. We still don't know if the parish priest will be present. He is suffering from overwork as the parish clergy  are severely  undermanned. 

The last rehearsal - last Friday  - went better than expected except that it seems to be impossible to keep the children quiet. The minute a song or a scene of the mime has finished they all start chattering loudly and there remains a small element whom I can only describe as "professional saboteurs" ! I rather suspect they will grow up to be the people who move in at the end of any peaceful demonstration to break anything they can lay hands on. Oh well, we battle on with the message of peace and goodwill!

I nearly put this in Norway's Unconventional Christmas thread but I decided it was really  rather conventional after all.