#31 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Member: 895683

Posted 13 December 2018 - 08:57

Reminds me of the great Sir Ken Robinson wub.png and his story to illustrate how young children, if they don't know something, will just have a go.

He was watching his son, when four, be Joseph in his school nativity play.   The three kings somehow got in a muddle and came on in the wrong order.

'I bring you gold', said the first king.

'I bring you myrrh' said the next boy.

The third child (who should have been the second) came on and said, 'Frank sent this'.

laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

laugh.png I love it!!!

#32 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4464 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 13 December 2018 - 16:42

No round robin letters received so far. smile.png Is it because I reply without making any reference at all to all the boasts, and then tell them what I've been doing all year in more detail than anyone would want to hear? muahaha.gif

Also played a game at the post office when sending parcels- doing the transaction in the accent of the address on each parcel - post master joined in and fun was had! smile.png 

#33 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 08:58

No round robin letters received so far. smile.png Is it because I reply without making any reference at all to all the boasts, and then tell them what I've been doing all year in more detail than anyone would want to hear? muahaha.gif

Also played a game at the post office when sending parcels- doing the transaction in the accent of the address on each parcel - post master joined in and fun was had! smile.png

rofl! rofl.gif

You might like the BBC's article on some of the carols...

http://www.bbc.com/c...hristmas-carols

#34 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4464 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 11:02

Crikey- that family certainly wasn't boring! laugh.png

I'm doing strategic planning for a suitable topic in the event of a boast card turning up. I think it might be enthusing about my new cello G string. Who would have thought that the difference between helicores and helibores could be so much fun? wink.png

#35 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 11:18

I insist that you give a blow by blow (or bow by bow) account of the cello exam! Maybe you could include highlights from the pieces (you can buy little components to record on, and add them to your card - you see what you learn from someone who makes her own cards!!!) I'm pretty sure - if you try hard enough - there are also vague connections between some of the pieces you did and Christmas... 

OT - I've just ordered that book.

Re Christmas - I have just reminded my husband that I live in hope that everyone could be nice to each other (the whole world) for just one day a year. He said he'd rather they were nasty to each other for one day and nice the rest... He always gets the best lines! laugh.png

#36 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 12:19

I forgot to say yesterday that there's a story by Connie Willis called Newsletter - it's in a collection of Christmas stories called Miracle and Other Stories. If you don't know her then I'll add that she's a SF writer. But that story is just about the issues you've been raising about Christmas letters...

#37 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4464 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 16:34

I'll have to look that one up!

Does anyone else do that naughty thing of unwrapping the inevitable unwanted Christmas present early and redirecting it to someone it is better suited to?

#38 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2547 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 15 December 2018 - 16:36

I'll have to look that one up!

Does anyone else do that naughty thing of unwrapping the inevitable unwanted Christmas present early and redirecting it to someone it is better suited to?

It would be wrong not to!

#39 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4464 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 12:56

Arghhhh! Someone has used the word "headhunted"!!!!!  

#40 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 13:15

Arghhhh! Someone has used the word "headhunted"!!!!!  

Calm... you can be calm. Breathe deeply. Make some sweet tea. Or open the chianti...

#41 Zixi

Zixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 13:19

Actually, on another level I don't understand your problem.tongue.png  This is the one time of the year when all those people who are full of self-doubts can star in their own newsletters... It's like having the front page to yourself.  The problem is that you're reading them... No one reads newsletters! It's like no one reads anyone else's posts or Facebook pages... laugh.png 

#42 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2547 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 16 December 2018 - 15:41

I really like people's letters, even if they come across as a bit boasty, though I have to say that mostly they don't. I'd rather get a round robin than no news at all, or one sentence that tells you nothing. I like hearing what my friends' families are doing.

#43 jim palmer

jim palmer

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1607 posts
  • Member: 28959
  • South London

Posted 16 December 2018 - 18:38

rolleyes.gif At 18.31.38 DujwRxgW4AI8mKt.jpg

#44 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4464 posts

Posted 16 December 2018 - 20:52

Arghhh Jim! Looks like I got a sheep drenching gun in the sheep farmers' secret santa! I showed it to Dozy Hen who didn't look impressed. Latin Pianist, you have sheep don't you? Would you be interested in a sheep drenching gun? unsure.png

#45 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3395 posts
  • Member: 711500

Posted 16 December 2018 - 21:16

Well we have got one already. I haven't personally used it but OH has been telling me how one works and it sounds a clever bit of kit!