Penfold42

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Member: 899233

Posted 22 January 2019 - 21:39

[quote name="helen_flute" post="1361131" timestamp="1548184969"]

[quote name="YellowLemon77" post="1361109" timestamp="1548145580

My scales also need alot more work than I thought. In private practise I did well but as soon as I played them for me teacher... well crying.gif
[/quote]

This is exactly what happens to me! Last night we did scales at the end of my lesson, rather than at the begining, and I made a total mess. I put it down to being tired, because we'd worked hard on my most challenging piece, but it does tell me they need more work, even though they feel fairly secure when I play them at home.[/quote]

So true, I feel I can play well just by myself but in front of my tutor I lose it. I know it’s just nerves but it frustrating. Just gotta trust my fingers to do their job!!????

#17 BMEpiano

BMEpiano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Member: 889203
  • Romford, Essex

Posted 23 January 2019 - 08:13

Grade 8 piano for me.  Originally booked for the last session but had to cancel due to work commitments (ABRSM kindly refunded the fee).  Last chance with the old syllabus pieces and not feeling overly confident.  My sight reading ability appears to have gone out of the window and as for aural - nightmare.  I thought I'd conquered the nerves by grade 7 but have a feeling that may not be the case!

#18 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 23 January 2019 - 08:58

My scales also need alot more work than I thought.  In private practise I did well but as soon as I played them for me teacher... well crying.gif

This is exactly what happens to me! Last night we did scales at the end of my lesson, rather than at the begining, and I made a total mess. I put it down to being tired, because we'd worked hard on my most challenging piece, but it does tell me they need more work, even though they feel fairly secure when I play them at home.

Do you know why this happens? Remember, a problem is just a solution waiting to happen! Does anxiety mean that you subconsciously end up playing the scales a tiny bit quicker than you would do at home? Or maybe you need to give yourself another quick second mentally to run through the notes you will need to play before you actually play them. Good luck, I hope it all comes together in time for the exam!

#19 helen_flute

helen_flute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Member: 898089

Posted 23 January 2019 - 18:14

I think it's most likely anxiety making me play too fast. When I practiced last night, I focussed on really slowing them down to get accuracy, and that definitely worked.

#20 helen_flute

helen_flute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 18:42

I got my exam date (Trinity) through today. It came by post, in a handwritten envelope - I couldn't figure out who might be writing handwritten letters to me until I opened it and realised what it was. Anyway, I'm up on the 13th March, so just under 4 weeks to go. Time to knuckle down.

It's been going OK really. I had a run through with the accompanist a couple of weeks ago, which was better than I expected, and I'm starting to feel more ready for it. I've also started thinking about what I'd like to do afterwards, and quite looking forward to working on some new pieces.

Does anyone else have their date yet?

#21 BMEpiano

BMEpiano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Romford, Essex

Posted 15 February 2019 - 13:15

Yes, have my date which is 18th March. Quite pleased as it was the date I was hoping for.

Preparation going ok although not sure I’ll ever feel completely ready. More than anything I need to work on beating the nerves into submission although sight reading still needs work and aural still seems impossible. Have signed up for an online course so hopefully that will help.

#22 hennylemon

hennylemon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Member: 898652

Posted 15 February 2019 - 13:46

Yes, have my date which is 18th March. Quite pleased as it was the date I was hoping for.

Preparation going ok although not sure I’ll ever feel completely ready. More than anything I need to work on beating the nerves into submission although sight reading still needs work and aural still seems impossible. Have signed up for an online course so hopefully that will help.

What online course are you referring to? I'd love to know as I struggle with aural. Whatever goes in, goes out just as quickly! 

Best of luck to everyone preparing for their exams! I'm sitting this term out but working hard towards my next piano exam in the summer. :)

#23 BMEpiano

BMEpiano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Romford, Essex

Posted 15 February 2019 - 16:02

You have my sympathy hennylemon. Not only do I immediately forget what I’m supposed to repeat I also just can’t hear the different cadences and modulations. I think my brain’s wired all wrong!

I signed up to a course with Music Matters which you can find on YouTube. There are loads of helpful video lessons on there but you can also buy the relevant course for the different grades which go into far greater detail. Mine cost £30 and I’m hoping it’ll help me get to grips with it a bit - at the moment I’m anticipating getting the 6 marks for trying!

#24 Gillybobs

Gillybobs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Member: 898726
  • Glasgow

Posted 17 February 2019 - 10:07

Good luck to everyone in the next months, am sure you will ace it!!wub.png I know how much work and practice it takes, and l love it so much!! was going to do grade 4 piano in the spring but it closed already so have now started working on grade 5 pieces and scales.  I did these exams before as a teenager (nearly 30 years ago) so have been getting back into it this last year or so.  Would like to do grade 6 eventually but need to do theory before all that.  I now use a digital piano with earphones and have some anxiety playing out loud lol, it was never an issue with the acoustic piano, although used to get a bit nervous on the exam day.

#25 hennylemon

hennylemon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Member: 898652

Posted 18 February 2019 - 12:14

You have my sympathy hennylemon. Not only do I immediately forget what I’m supposed to repeat I also just can’t hear the different cadences and modulations. I think my brain’s wired all wrong!

I signed up to a course with Music Matters which you can find on YouTube. There are loads of helpful video lessons on there but you can also buy the relevant course for the different grades which go into far greater detail. Mine cost £30 and I’m hoping it’ll help me get to grips with it a bit - at the moment I’m anticipating getting the 6 marks for trying!

Thanks BMEpiano, I looked up Music Matters and the courses look pretty good. I'm willing to try anything this point. wacko.png

#26 Nine and a Half Fingers

Nine and a Half Fingers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Member: 893737

Posted 20 February 2019 - 21:05

I am the accompanist for a Grade 8 flute entrant - exam in about 4 weeks. We are struggling a little with the Faure Fantasie - the fast passages in the flute part that should be tongued and some of the piano sections are tricky to get just right. Making steady progress now that we have increased the frequency of practice sessions. I'll be nervous when the day comes though....

#27 helen_flute

helen_flute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 19:04

I just had a momentary panic that you might be my accompanist, but I'm not doing the Faure Fantasie, so you're definitely not!

I finally seem to be making good progress with my trickiest piece, Kennan's Night Soliloquy, which I told my teacher earler in the week that I hated. He's encouraged me to work a bit more slowly on the tricky runs, and relax a bit more, and that's definitely working.

I'm currently feeling most anxious about the aural tests. I'm practicing from the Trinity CD, and finding them really difficult, particularly listening for changes in rhythm/pitch. At G8 there are three changes in pitch and/or rhythm across treble and bass clefs, and I think not being a pianist makes it challenging. Hopefully more practice will help.

#28 helen_flute

helen_flute

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 17:48

I hope everyone's preparation is going well.

I am just home from my flute G8 exam, and it was definitely not my finest performance. On a positive note, my unaccompanied piece sounded the best it's ever done, but I made obvious mistakes in both of the accompanied pieces, and got totally lost in one of them, although I did carry on and managed to get it together with the pianist again and we finished off OK. Scales were OK, although I really messed up one (if not two) of them, and there were definitely some stuffy notes. Aural was dreadful and sightreading OK.

It was still a positive experience though. My unaccompanied piece sounded amazing with the acoustics in the church, so I really enjoyed playing it. Both the rep and examiner were really nice, unlike the rather po-faced ABRSM examiner when I did my G1 saxophone exam.

Hopefully I've managed to pass, but I suspect I'll have scraped through and no more. I'm reminding myself that I can play better than I did today, and nerves were definitely a factor. I shouldn't have to wait too long for results, as they apparently get put in the post towards the end of the week.

I'm now looking forward to learning some new music and having a break from scales, and maybe working on my piccolo playing. My teacher says he has plans for what to do next, so I'm excited to see what ideas he has.

Good luck to my fellow spring term examinees!

#29 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1319 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 13 March 2019 - 17:57

Well done, HF!  All the very best for your result!

#30 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1343 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted 13 March 2019 - 22:33

Aaaargh!!
Well, since I last posted, my teacher made an unexpected decision to give up flute teaching, due to having changed career path. (Nothing to do with me, I'm quite easy-care!) But not so jolly with the G7 exam coming up probably early May, and I hadn't had a lesson for several weeks while she was doing various exams before she dropped the bombshell.
However, I found someone else, an even longer drive away, ????and had my first lesson with him. Excellent (him), not so wonderful (me). I'm feeling a bit woeful about my scales, even though I practice consistently in the limited time I have. He's given me a couple of slightly different practice techniques which I hope will help them stick better. And suggested I change one of my pieces to make a more varied programme .....

Good luck to all!