6 replies to this topic

#1 annet

annet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Member: 7741

Posted 16 May 2019 - 15:33

Does anyone have a special bag for their organ shoes?  My father had the idea of buying a leather shoe bag for our son's 18th birthday so that his shoes weren't just in a carrier bag.  It seemed like a really good idea, but finding a leather shoe bag is proving somewhat difficult.  I've been looking in luggage and golf shops  -golf shoes seem to need special bags and there are indeed leather ones which come from America and are priced around $130, but even allowing for the exchange rate, this is rather more than my father had in mind.

Does anyone know where I might be able to purchase a leather shoe bag?

Thanks.

#2 LoneM

LoneM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Member: 894763

Posted 16 May 2019 - 16:38

Does it have to be leather? I keep my organ shoes in a cotton bag with a drawstring, which then goes into my shoulder bag with my music books. My feet are size 5 so the shoes don't take up much room.

#3 Gran'piano

Gran'piano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Member: 899443

Posted 16 May 2019 - 19:15

This is really weird. Just once or twice a year I go into the big bookshop in Zürich which has an English Books department. I had been looking for a (very much) simplified version of an English book for a friend. Wandering around, I saw the selection of English delicacies which aliens hanker after and nearby there were aprons and the like with English printing on. And hanging beside them a stiff cotton bag with ‚SHOES‘ printed on it. I actually tossed up whether to buy one for my organ-playing buddy but decided against it as I wasn‘t sure he would like it. He carries a firm-framed rucksack with all his scores in and the shoes go in there too.

I agree with LoneM. I would think that a ‚flexible‘ cotton bag would probably be better than a leather one, as your son doubtless has other things to carry about. If the Swiss import them, you must be able to buy them in England somewhere or other.

#4 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6519 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:19

My OH has a zip up football boot bag which has a small carrying handle.  His music bag is usually too stuffed with music to accommodate shoes as well. This is admittedly not an elegant solution, but does mean that he can put the detachable shoulder strap of his bag through the handle of the shoe bag if he wants so the two don't get separated. (OH is somewhat forgetful at times rolleyes.gif )

Failing all else, why not persuade a sewing enthusiast friend to make a drawstring shoe bag in a dark coloured material?

#5 Barry Williams

Barry Williams

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1345 posts
  • Member: 20603
  • Beddington, Surrey

Posted 18 May 2019 - 12:34

I have two mid-blue bags with music( stave notation) on them.  They were a present from, I think, Magnificent Mouchoirs and are specifically shoe bags.

Barry Williams

#6 musicalmalc

musicalmalc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Member: 516127

Posted 19 May 2019 - 17:00

try a search online for 'men's ballroom shoe bag uk' 

#7 annet

annet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Member: 7741

Posted 11 June 2019 - 14:07

Thanks for the suggestions.  I finally found a golf shoe bag by searching for "leather bag manufacturer" which is exactly what my Dad had in mind.    I had to wait for it to be made but it should be here next week.  Looking at various sites, I have discovered that golf players need all manner of leather goods and are a good place to look for wallets, phone cases, key fobs and many more items!