#16 louloubelle

louloubelle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Member: 408582
  • Northern Isles (of Scotland)

Posted 11 February 2014 - 13:01

I am a great fan of Benslow---even though the number of courses suitable for me are limited due to my modest level of Violin playing.
I really enjoy Foundation String Chamber Music, which is suitable for grade 4--6, with prepared music and sight reading in allocated quartets----good for those of us who don't have a group to attend with.
I have heard good things about the String quartet Speed Dating course that lubylu is booked for---- I might try it next year when I play a bit better.(?!)

Have also heard good reports about East London Late Starters Orchestra-----meeting this year for a week in August near Doncaster. You don't have to come from East London. Unfortunately the dates this year clash, so I cannot try it out.

#17 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14444 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:08

Just a reminder that the Early Bird cut-off date for the BKA's course for Conductors and Singers in Derbyshire is TODAY!!   (It's £100 off the full fee :))

:sing: :sing: :sing:

#18 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17186 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:35

I am thinking of either doing an Adult piano course at Pro Corda (though I may be too advanced for it) or the Benslow 'Keeping it Fresh' which I did last year. Both in October. If I dont get on Keeping it Fresh theres a PIano Duet course in November.

#19 notmusimum

notmusimum

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9219 posts
  • Member: 5959

Posted 14 March 2014 - 21:13

There's a saxophone weekend course in Sandbach for adults and children above grade 3 19/20 July.

#20 Halka

Halka

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1490 posts
  • Member: 11036

Posted 26 May 2014 - 20:43

I'm going to take my flute to this introductory woodwind ensemble course at Farncombe ( Cotswolds) in August:

http://farncombecour...e/#.U4OmWdq9KSM

Anyone else?

#21 UnnaturalHarmonics

UnnaturalHarmonics

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1240 posts
  • Member: 735056

Posted 26 May 2014 - 20:52

There's a lot of great horn ensemble workshops regularly in Shropshire and Sussex. Top class coaching. Any horn players interested, give me a shout.

Er... ARE there any horn players?

Aaaaaaanyoooone?...

*voice dwindles off into a fading echo. Cicadas chirrup in the distance*

#22 Manchester Single Reed

Manchester Single Reed

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Member: 739262

Posted 14 June 2014 - 20:47

This years Manchester Single Reed Course is 28th-30th July 

Application forms available on the website www.singlereed.org

#23 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14444 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 21:27

I'm really delighted to say that the British Kodály Academy has just received accreditation for its new CPD course for teachers :hurrah:.

The new qualification will be available at two levels and will give a Certificate of Professional Practice in Kodály Music Education.

There will be four strands - for Early Childhood, Primary, Secondary and Instrumental teachers.  

The areas to be studied will be Kodály Philosophy, Musicianship, Conducting, Methodology, Teaching Techniques and Repertoire/Song Analysis.

The details are now live on the website - http://www.britishko...ted_courses.htm.

We've completely revamped our musicianship syllabus, too (now in 10 levels, again available for view on the website).

The course starts at this year's Summer School and applications can be received until 31st July.

This has taken over my life during the last nine months or so and there's still lots to do - but I'm very chuffed and hopeful that we can train lots of teachers with this excellent new course.

(Why isn't there a 'Happy Bunny' smiley???)

:)  :)  :)  :)  :)

#24 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17186 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:19

The Benslow program for H1 2015 is availabl on line at http://www.benslowmusic.org

#25 louloubelle

louloubelle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Member: 408582
  • Northern Isles (of Scotland)

Posted 17 June 2014 - 13:28

Ah, yes---but this gives me problems. If I were to enrol for all the courses (even just at Benslow) that I would like to, I should not be home long enough to attend my lessons!

#26 lubylu

lubylu

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1285 posts
  • Member: 522569
  • Dorset

Posted 17 June 2014 - 19:54

And you'd be very poor......

#27 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14444 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 22:30

Well...I haven't been on the forums much over the past month - I've been swamped with preparations for this year's British Kodály Academy's Summer School (including our inaugural Certificate of Professional Practice, Level 1, for Early Childhood/Primary/Secondary/Instrumental teachers).

I got back late Friday evening after a truly amazing week.   I think it was probably our best course ever - inspiring tutors, wonderful students - the most buzzing atmosphere!

Rosie91 and Express Yourself/Chomp were both there :).

It was the first time that the truly, truly remarkable former forum member rosfrog was teaching on the summer course (although he's taught on the last two spring courses).   His evening workshop was not only thought-provoking and inspiring but his huge knowledge and expertise shone out - and, boy, was he FUNNY too!    He was swamped with requests for individual lessons and, not for the first time, participants were heard to say that their lessons with him were worth the course fee on their own :) :) :).

We had four wonderful tutors from Hungary as well as great ones from the UK.

Students came from all over the UK as well as Mexico, Ohio, France, Belgium and Hong Kong.

Everyone did choir and musicianship, then chose from various options in the afternoons - Conducting, Methodology, Choral workshops (on settings of the Mass), Dalcroze, Latin Dance, Singing Games and Community Choir.

There were also optional extras - individual piano, singing and Alexander Technique lessons as well as chamber music coaching with the incredible Orsolya Szabó.

Evening workshops included Gospel singing, Choral improvisation and a stonking session by my lovely friend and student André Barreau (one of the founders, over 30 years ago, of the amazing Bootleg Beatles) on the melodies, harmonies and rhythms of The Beatles (using solfa, naturally!).

Bagpuss came for the first half of the week and it was just lovely to have her there - she added a real positive energy, as well as taking some great photos :clap:!

I have to just quote here what three of the participants wrote:

"A life-changing, immersive and exhilarating week.   Why wasn’t every musician here?  

The BKA’s approach to cultivating excellence in music is so coherent, simple and effective that so many other ideologies and aspects of music education now appear to exist in a state of waking sleep in comparison.   No bravado or ego necessary, just singing and clapping;  that the concept so often requires justification is a tragedy.  

Well done BKA, may you conquer the world."

“This must be the pinnacle of courses.   I’ve never learned so much or had so much fun!”

"…I think this was officially one of the best weeks of my life so far.  ALL musicians or aspiring musicians should go on a BKA course.   I couldn’t have hoped for more inspiring tutors or a more varied timetable." 

:) :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  

#28 AnnC

AnnC

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3303 posts
  • Member: 6097

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:52

Brilliant! I'm sorry I could not be there this time. Any news of where next year's is going to be?

#29 Bagpuss

Bagpuss

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3127 posts
  • Member: 371

Posted 20 August 2014 - 15:44

It'll be at Walsall again - brilliant venue and extremely easy to get to.

Bx

#30 Norway

Norway

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4399 posts
  • Member: 452922

Posted 20 August 2014 - 16:57

If anyone is looking for an exciting summer holiday music experience on a budget (or indeed at any time of year), just e-mail some brass bands (community ones are the best bet) in the area of your choice and chances are you will get to play for free! I just pay for my B and B - job done! ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: music courses, dates, 2014