Posted 25 January 2018 - 09:28

Spring-Course-2018.png

WHO ARE THE HAPPIEST MUSICIANS?

a) Bell Ringers
b) Trumpeters playing the Hallelujah Chorus
c) Ukulele players
d) ABBA fans
e) Students on a BKA course?

The British Kodály Academy (BKA) is proud to announce its Spring Course 2018, taking place at Telford Innovation Campus, from Wednesday 4th to Saturday 7th April 2018.

Book your place now at Spring Course Booking

Why are we the happiest musicians?

Quite simply, the Kodály concept is the best music education philosophy ever developed. Music belongs to everyone, and our courses are open to all. The person who has joined their first choir, and sung for the first time since leaving school, is as happy in this environment as the professional singer or music teacher.

Singing is at the heart of everything we do, and mornings are taken up with Choir and Musicianship classes, delivered by our incredibly talented team of Hungarian and British tutors. The feedback we receive from these sessions is excellent, and people come back year after year to refresh and improve their skills. Musicianship leaves everyone buzzing, and every day someone describes a “life-changing” or “lightbulb” moment.

Forget rote learning of intervals or slogging through theory workbooks. In our Musicianship classes you will hear and understand everything first, through simple melodies and games. At the beginner level this includes singing in tune and developing harmony and listening skills. Jealous of your “perfect pitch” friends? Learn to hear chord progressions, name intervals and work out tunes by ear.

Who should come to a BKA course?

In short – everyone! Composition, improvisation and arranging are crucial skills for music students, teachers, conductors, singers and musicians in all fields.

Anyone wanting to improve their pitching, singing technique, music reading, listening, harmony, sightreading, theory or aural skills. Adult beginners with a love of music, or experienced musicians striving for a deeper understanding of the music they play.

Simultaneously thorough and fun, BKA courses bring together people from all walks of life, and all genres of music, who immerse themselves in a world of sheer joy.

The focus of this year’s Spring Course will be Composition and Improvisation, and we are delighted to welcome two fabulous new presenters:

Zs%C3%B3fia-Tall%C3%A9r-photo-150x150.jpDr Zsófia Tallér – A leading classical composer from Hungary. Writing for children’s choirs, the harmonisation of folk songs, building up small classical forms

Zsófia is a graduate of the Liszt Academy of Music. A classical composer, also well-known for her theatre and film music. Her pieces have been performed by top-ranking artists and orchestras in Hungary and abroad.

Chris Rupp from the USA. Founder of the a cappella group Home Free. Contemporary songwriting and building up an a cappella piece.

Chris has more than 20 years’ experience as a professional musician and vocalist, and his expert arrangements and sublime singing have been wowing audiences worldwide. He has collaborated with the likes of Kenny Rogers and Pentatonix; and guest-lectured at many US national events in the world of vocal music.HOME-FREE-2-300x200.jpeg

We also welcome back the delightful:

Arpad-Toth.jpgDr Árpád Tóth, a renowned musician, teacher and conductor from Hungary, who will lead inspirational sessions in choir, musicianship and choral improvisation.

Allan Hubert-Wright from France, whose singing lessons and vocal workshops deliver professional expertise at the highest level, combined with warmth and humour.

Spring Course General Timetable 2018

And new for this year – Early Childhood Music Education – a methodology strand led by Lucinda Geoghegannot only hugely experienced but also bags of fun. For pre-school and infant teachers; develop the skills to introduce young children to the joys of music. This strand of the course will include sessions covering the following topics:

• Practical “hands on” ideas where the participants will be introduced to a wealth of singing games and rhymes suitable for rhyme time sessions, early years settings, nurseries and infant classrooms.
  • How to choose suitable repertoire for children under the age of seven.
  • How to introduce children to the essential building blocks of music education : Beat, rhythm, pitch, dynamics, tempo, phrasing and structure and how to develop their skills in these areas
  • How music can have a positive effect on holistic development
  • How to plan and structure a lesson and a series of lessons.

Book your place now at Spring Course Booking

Be the first to hear about our courses by joining our mailing list.

#2 Rach123

Rach123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts
  • Member: 244658
  • Colchester, Essex

Posted 25 January 2018 - 14:52

I've been thinking about maybe doing this (I have the money for it this time)

I think what's stopping me is the fact that it's quite a distance for me to travel (especially on my own)

#3 Chomp

Chomp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 843 posts
  • Member: 888251

Posted 26 January 2018 - 17:00

You should Rach! Where are you coming from?

#4 Rach123

Rach123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts
  • Member: 244658
  • Colchester, Essex

Posted 26 January 2018 - 23:32

North Essex.

I looked at travel time and it would be 4 hours there and back. Telford is quite a way for someone who has never been that far before on her own.

I've actually been looking at it for the last couple of months waiting for more details.

it's also a lot of money when I don't have a very stable income and don't know if i'd be able to replace it

#5 ten left thumbs

ten left thumbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • Member: 454622

Posted 27 January 2018 - 08:12

I'm very much hoping to come this time. I might not be able to make it for the full time, but I'd really like to reconnect! Hope to see you there, Chomp!

#6 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41703 posts
  • Member: 5804
  • South East London

Posted 27 January 2018 - 21:32

North Essex.

I looked at travel time and it would be 4 hours there and back. Telford is quite a way for someone who has never been that far before on her own.

I've actually been looking at it for the last couple of months waiting for more details.

it's also a lot of money when I don't have a very stable income and don't know if i'd be able to replace it

Not at all wishing to put anything down, as I'm sure the course will be great, but the Telford area is a pain in the backside to get to from London/SE unless you have a car...

#7 jim palmer

jim palmer

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1579 posts
  • Member: 28959
  • South London

Posted 28 January 2018 - 22:16

You should Rach! Where are you coming from?

Don't the BKA offer financial assistance to young people on low incomes?

unsure.png

#8 Splog

Splog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3266 posts
  • Member: 460379

Posted 28 January 2018 - 22:26

North Essex.

Not at all wishing to put anything down, as I'm sure the course will be great, but the Telford area is a pain in the backside to get to from London/SE unless you have a car...

I got there in the summer with one change of train and I didn't even have to change platform. And very cheap taxi when I arrived.  biggrin.png

#9 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14346 posts
  • Member: 99
  • Croydon, South London/Surrey

Posted 28 January 2018 - 22:44

@jim palmer - no, at the moment the BKA only offers one scholarship per year - which pays for the tuition fees for approximately three summer school students each year.

The BKA is a small charity whose only income is from membership subscriptions, so just now it cannot offer anything else, sorry.

#10 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41703 posts
  • Member: 5804
  • South East London

Posted 29 January 2018 - 08:57

North Essex.

I got there in the summer with one change of train and I didn't even have to change platform. And very cheap taxi when I arrived. biggrin.png
Roughly what part of the UK are you in?
I’ll vouch for the cheap taxis :D but from Clari-land to Telford is still not terribly easy by public transport. Places a lot further away are much easier and frequently quicker to get to.

#11 Splog

Splog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3266 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 09:22

North Essex.

I got there in the summer with one change of train and I didn't even have to change platform. And very cheap taxi when I arrived. biggrin.png
Roughly what part of the UK are you in?
I’ll vouch for the cheap taxis biggrin.png but from Clari-land to Telford is still not terribly easy by public transport. Places a lot further away are much easier and frequently quicker to get to.

If you change trains at Wolverhampton rather than Birmingham it's a lot easier.

#12 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14346 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 23:27

The Early Bird discount ends tomorrow (7th March)!   

There are also discounts for people attending their first BKA residential course :).

We are very excited about this course!

~ If you would like to experience the young and dynamic Árpád Tóth's innovative approach to choral singing (with an improvisatory slant)
~ if you want to learn from the amazing vocal wizard that is Allan Hubert-Wright
~ if you are interested in classical composition (top Hungarian composer Zsófia Tallér)
~ if you would like to learn about contemporary a cappella arranging with the hugely experienced Chris Rupp from the USA (founder of Home Free)
~ if you would like to improve your general musicianship (all levels catered for)
~ if you would like to spend four days on a pleasant campus in springtime in the company of lovely and inspiring tutors and colleagues

....then this course is for you!!

This is one of Chris Rupp's inventive arrangements (he is the one in the hat!):
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=teSuDu84kMc

#13 Splog

Splog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3266 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 12:45

Is anyone coming to the Spring Course? I'm really looking forward to it. Will be great to see old friends, and hopefully make new ones. biggrin.pngwoot.gifwave.gif

#14 ten left thumbs

ten left thumbs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • Member: 454622

Posted 09 March 2018 - 18:13

I'll be there, looking forward to catching up with you!

#15 Cyrilla

Cyrilla

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14346 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 22:42

I think my head is about to explode with all the planning and preparation for this!   I think I'm actually going to hit the hay before midnight for once..

But I'm getting rather fangirly squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee about the fact that next Tuesday I shall be picking this lovely person up from the airport after his flight from Minnesota - hugely excited about his sessions on a cappella arranging.

This is one of his latest arrangements (he sings all the parts too...).

:wub: :wub: :wub: