Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1552 posts
  • Member: 28959
  • South London

Posted 06 May 2018 - 17:35

Posted Today, 18:30

How to avoid the Royal Wedding on May 19th?

• Obviously don't switch on your TV on May 18/19/20 as most channels will be occupied by smirking, gushing Royal Correspondents.
  • Go to bed for the day with chocolate, coffee and a good book.
  • Keep away more than 50 miles from Windsor.
  • Day trip to the seaside.

smile.png

#2 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16999 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 06 May 2018 - 18:07

Play music all day !

#3 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3155 posts
  • Member: 711500

Posted 06 May 2018 - 18:30

Our choir had already arranged our concert that day so I'll be teaching first thing, then rehearsing then the concert at night. We'd already set the theme as English music so I expect there could be mention of"that wedding."

#4 jpiano

jpiano

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2122 posts
  • Member: 1270

Posted 06 May 2018 - 18:51

I'm teaching that day this time - at the last royal wedding neighbour wanted to make everyone have a street party and we ran away and had a day out.  Might add nothing against street parties as such but not into celebrating royal weddings! (neighbour has now moved and can't see anyone else bothering)

#5 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4528 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 06 May 2018 - 19:14

Going to a family wedding on the same day. Not particularly looking forward to it but it should keep us away from the media.

#6 jim palmer

jim palmer

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1552 posts
  • Member: 28959
  • South London

Posted 06 May 2018 - 20:16

So the Poet Laureate will not be composing anything for the day, so I'll have a go!

Royal Harry's going to wed,

He's left it rather late

But at the age of 35

He still could propagate.

He's found a willing woman

To share his royal bed,

She's in her prime,

So may have time,

For an heir or two!

#7 Hedgehog

Hedgehog

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6330 posts
  • Member: 3747
  • Suburbia

Posted 06 May 2018 - 20:21

We've been invited to an evening "do" to celebrate the occasion.  Fortunately it's just around the corner.

We don't want to be late home - off to the Royal Albert Hall on Sunday to sing "The Armed Man" as part of the Really Big Chorus so we need to have our wits about us then.  

Why do all these things come on one weekend?  I'd like them spread over several weekends so I can appreciate them properly.

#8 Sylvette

Sylvette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Member: 895486
  • Gloucestershire, UK

Posted 06 May 2018 - 20:39

On Friday and Saturday evenings I will be performing in my local Am Dram production - A Restoration Evening of song, dance, poetry and a one act play in which I am Catherine of Breganza, wife of Charles II!

#9 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6502 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 06 May 2018 - 21:08

The last one, when we all got a public holiday, I figured the roads would be quiet, so I cycled to Cambridge (about 30 miles).  Had some lunch then got the train home.  It was all over by then :)

#10 stetenorve

stetenorve

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3239 posts
  • Member: 60099
  • Bolsover, Chesterfield.

Posted 07 May 2018 - 06:47

I'll be working that weekend.

#11 EllieD

EllieD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Member: 897806

Posted 07 May 2018 - 08:01

I'm obviously doing well enough avoiding the media on this - reading this thread is the first time I've found out what the date is! Don't mind them, they seem a nice couple, but I'm sure there will be more interesting things to watch than somebody else's wedding. I expect I'll look at online pictures of the dress though....

#12 chris13

chris13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Member: 7226
  • Lancaster; originally from Rhubarb Triangle Yorkshire

Posted 07 May 2018 - 09:39

Come to the Clitheroe Piano Meetup. Clitheroe library 1pm to about 3:30pm.

#13 cestrian

cestrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • Member: 253314
  • Wales

Posted 07 May 2018 - 14:12

watch the footie, obviously...

#14 elemimele

elemimele

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 07 May 2018 - 20:37

I'm suffering from a crisis of conscience. Child is loving all this, and wants to celebrate; he's bought the flags to do the job, and even invested in a picnic blanket for a school picnic in honour of the occasion. I remember enjoying the queen's jubilee and Charles' wedding, so I don't want to be a spoilsport. But I'm increasingly republican as I get older. I can't get enthusiastic about the wedding of two strangers. I can't get enthusiastic about an expensive institution that has degenerated into a gossip-column crossed with a historical pageant. I can't, morally, get enthusiastic about people's importance being measured by their parentage. But the child should be spared my jaundiced viewpoint, so I suppose I'll be waving my flag and trying to look happy.

#15 jpiano

jpiano

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2122 posts
  • Member: 1270

Posted 07 May 2018 - 21:41

I'm suffering from a crisis of conscience. Child is loving all this, and wants to celebrate; he's bought the flags to do the job, and even invested in a picnic blanket for a school picnic in honour of the occasion. I remember enjoying the queen's jubilee and Charles' wedding, so I don't want to be a spoilsport. But I'm increasingly republican as I get older. I can't get enthusiastic about the wedding of two strangers. I can't get enthusiastic about an expensive institution that has degenerated into a gossip-column crossed with a historical pageant. I can't, morally, get enthusiastic about people's importance being measured by their parentage. But the child should be spared my jaundiced viewpoint, so I suppose I'll be waving my flag and trying to look happy.

Wish there was a 'like' option on here for your post, elemimele, I'd be clicking on it !  I remember having a crisis of conscience about Charles and Lady Di's wedding as my republican feelings were starting to develop and they felt rather at odds with my love of that dress.