PianoMike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Member: 894703
  • East Riding of Yorkshire

Posted 05 November 2016 - 20:22

I'm playing Scarlatti's sonata in f minor. L.118.
Only difficulty is getting a couple of the trills to sound right. Benjamin Grosvenor does a good job of them on his "This and That" album.

#2 Keron

Keron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • Member: 486159
  • Greater Manchester

Posted 05 November 2016 - 20:27

Very casually Schubert impromptu no 1 in Gm and Chopin Nocturne no 1 in Bbm

More seriously Beethoven sonata no 1 in Fm and as of today, Bach Prelude and Fugue in Dm WTC2 

The Bach is very notey. I spent over an hr on it today and made next to no progress. Hopefully I'll have made some by the time I have my next lesson in a couple weeks. 

#3 PianoMike

PianoMike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Member: 894703
  • East Riding of Yorkshire

Posted 05 November 2016 - 20:52

On the G8 syllabus, I love the Bach Gigue, so much so that it's fast becoming one of my most listened to Bach pieces. I listen to Angela Hewitt's recording. I'd like to start on this soon but decided to wait until my teacher gives me the nod. I've still not done the G7 exam - next spring, last chance on the 2014 syllabus.

#4 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16665 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 05 November 2016 - 21:15

On the G8 syllabus, I love the Bach Gigue, so much so that it's fast becoming one of my most listened to Bach pieces. I listen to Angela Hewitt's recording. I'd like to start on this soon but decided to wait until my teacher gives me the nod. I've still not done the G7 exam - next spring, last chance on the 2014 syllabus.

Angela Hewitt is my favourite Bach player, I have all her recordings!

Having done Octobers ProCorda course I am just mulling over quite a few pieces at the moment, before deciding which to practice properly. Maybe some Faure (hardly ever touched him before), such as 1st Nocturne or 1st Barcarolle.   Will also try to learn the rest of Beethoven Op110, particularly the fugue.  I also like to have some new Bach on the go maybe one of the two no 24's (B Minor) in WTC.

#5 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 05 November 2016 - 21:54

Harry Potter, arranged by Jarrod Radnich

#6 agricola

agricola

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1585 posts
  • Member: 545

Posted 06 November 2016 - 12:36

The Shchedrin Prelude and Fugue in A minor and Adriana by Miguel Astor, both from the 2017 Grade 8 syllabus. 

I learnt that Bach Gigue as a teenager -- but still have occasional trouble co-ordinating the hands !

#7 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16665 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 13:55

The Shchedrin Prelude and Fugue in A minor and Adriana by Miguel Astor, both from the 2017 Grade 8 syllabus. 

I learnt that Bach Gigue as a teenager -- but still have occasional trouble co-ordinating the hands !

Since I like Preludes and Fugues, I must look at the Shchedrin, never heard of him !

#8 Keron

Keron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • Member: 486159
  • Greater Manchester

Posted 06 November 2016 - 13:58

Since I like Preludes and Fugues, I must look at the Shchedrin, never heard of him !

For good reason I think. 

#9 Blackett and Howden

Blackett and Howden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Member: 893066

Posted 07 November 2016 - 01:02

The A minor in the syllabus is quite fun. If you like Shostakovich, you should enjoy Shchedrin. Also worth checking out his concertos for orchestra, and his many other works.

#10 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16665 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 09:08

The A minor in the syllabus is quite fun. If you like Shostakovich, you should enjoy Shchedrin. Also worth checking out his concertos for orchestra, and his many other works.

Yes I do like play Shostakovich and can manage soem of his Op 87 . There are also 24 by Norwegian composer Trygve Madsen which have influences of both Bach and Shostakovich

#11 Nine and a Half Fingers

Nine and a Half Fingers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Member: 893737

Posted 07 November 2016 - 18:54

4 Fantasiest├╝cke for Clarinet and Piano, Op.43,  Niels Gade. Bit of a struggle at the moment due to time restrictions. The clarinettist manages pretty well though, in spite of my occasional lapses. The pieces have some passages that are more or less at the upper limit of my comfort zone. 

#12 Saxwarbler

Saxwarbler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • Member: 768786
  • Leicester

Posted 08 November 2016 - 20:22

I've started working in earnest on my grade 2 pieces - La Mourisque, Reinecke's Song and Piper o' Dundee.

#13 worov

worov

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Member: 92494

Posted 11 December 2016 - 10:50

Currently working on this :

https://www.youtube....h?v=8Y5l_l2NcFk

I like it very much. Very beautiful.

#14 Ligneo Fistula

Ligneo Fistula

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 992 posts
  • Member: 529803
  • United Kingdom

Posted 11 December 2016 - 12:55

Grade 1 pieces, scales etc.- please don't laugh!!!!

#15 worov

worov

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Member: 92494

Posted 11 December 2016 - 13:29

Grade 1 pieces, scales etc.- please don't laugh!!!!

I certainly won't laugh. There are some very beautiful grade 1 pieces. These are a few of my favorites (as would say Julie Andrews) :

William Alwyn : The Pear Tree is Laden with Fruit : https://www.youtube....h?v=G_1cQOgbLgY

Alan Hovhaness : Sleeping cat : https://www.youtube....h?v=8AEYcrLoKGI

Nicole Bergerac : Marshmallow Sundae : https://www.youtube....h?v=NFFtEkVQiTk

Yvonne Adair : Thumbelina : https://www.youtube....h?v=MfWj1I6nqs4

Jon George : Reflets dans l'eau (not be confused with Debussy's piece) : https://www.youtube....h?v=YqO5AFO4J7g