Photo

What's everybody cooking or eating today?

• Please log in to reply
255 replies to this topic

#1 returning_to_piano

returning_to_piano

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Member: 897705

Posted 20 August 2017 - 11:37

:)

#2 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16665 posts
  • Member: 7089
  • Heswall, Wirral (originally Keighley, Yorks)

Posted 20 August 2017 - 13:41

Have family (son, daughter in law, and two grandaughters) coming for dinner about 6pm. Have just prepared a leg of lamb and set it on the oven timer. Also prepared some cauliflower, broccoli and carrots, and peeled some potatoes to parboil for the roast. Mint sauce still to make.  For 'afters' I have some strawberries and cream, but also a small gateau with maltesers on top. A bottle of Harrods Claret, Schloer (apple and grape), and orange/mango squash to drink.

Oh and some Yorkshire puds but they will be Aunt Bessies, though I do sometimes make them from scratch.

#3 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2783 posts
  • Member: 711500

Posted 20 August 2017 - 14:21

There were ten of us so I did a chicken and a small joint of beef with the usual supplementary sausages. Marrow in cheese sauce, carrots broccoli, stuffing and roast potatoes.Picked a few blackberries and put them with White currants from the freezer in a crumble. Now lots of washing up.

#4 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3475 posts
  • Member: 88756

Posted 20 August 2017 - 15:36

Just made coffee cupcakes.  Will ice them later with three colour (vanilla, coffee and chocolate) swirl icing.

#5 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 20 August 2017 - 15:36

Chickpea curry. 2 tins of chickpeas, 2 tins of tomatoes, one tin of coconut. 2 chopped onions, teaspoonful of assorted spices, and some curry leaves. Half a lemon.

#6 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16665 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 19:29

Have family (son, daughter in law, and two grandaughters) coming for dinner about 6pm. Have just prepared a leg of lamb and set it on the oven timer. Also prepared some cauliflower, broccoli and carrots, and peeled some potatoes to parboil for the roast. Mint sauce still to make.  For 'afters' I have some strawberries and cream, but also a small gateau with maltesers on top. A bottle of Harrods Claret, Schloer (apple and grape), and orange/mango squash to drink.

Oh and some Yorkshire puds but they will be Aunt Bessies, though I do sometimes make them from scratch.

Well dinner came out OK, they like roast lamb more well done than me so I conceded that. The girls  (3 soon and 6) liked the Maltesers Pavlova, but wanted a few strawberries on it as well ! The younger one likes cauliflower !

#7 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2085 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:17

Plums. I'm drowning in plums.

#8 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5855 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 21 August 2017 - 12:53

Jam? Crumble?

#9 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16665 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 12:56

There's enough roast lamb left for me and F#Major tonight.  Potatoes will be jackets.  Veg will be  Peas , carrots and a  mixture of Cabbage/Leek.   Fresh fruit salad for 'afters'

#10 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2085 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 13:48

Jam? Crumble?

There's only so much three people can eat! I've still got some of last year's jam and frozen plums in the freezer. My husband eats as many as he can raw (good job he doesn't mind the caterpillars) and the hens get the fallen ones, but there are still loads. Anyone near me is welcome to them!

#11 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22373 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 21 August 2017 - 14:32

I'm learning new cooking skills with my recently acquired Instant Pot electric pressure cooker/slow cooker.

I might cook the gammon joint tonight and have it with cauliflower cheese.

Tomorrow I'm thinking of ham and mushroom risotto them having a go at pea and ham soup with what's left.

#12 Sylvette

Sylvette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • Member: 895486
  • Gloucestershire, UK

Posted 23 August 2017 - 10:38

We had a party for OH's 60th on Sunday, so still eating up leftovers!  Most of a gammon joint cooked in the slow cooker still to use.  We will have some tonight with potato wedges, green beans and carrots, the rest will be diced and frozen to be used in various pasta sauces, risotto, etc, etc.

#13 fsharpminor

fsharpminor

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16665 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 10:55

Just made a Shepherds pie. We will eat half this evening and I will freeze the other half for next week.   Probably have cabbage/leek mix, and some petit pois (a l'oeil des oiseaux)

#14 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2085 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 14:56

Short ribs in beer, mashed potato, broccoli, carrots, followed by something plummy....

#15 Witzend

Witzend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Member: 892899
  • Kingston on Thames

Posted 23 August 2017 - 15:08

The other night I made wasabi and ginger pork balls, from a Waitrose recipe card I'd had for ages.
Cooked in a broth with ginger, garlic and chicken stock, with cooked noodles and pak choi added towards the end.
At least it was supposed to be pak choi but since I'd forgotten to buy any it was some chopped up Savoy cabbage and a few sliced mushrooms.
Was very tasty!
Last night it was a macaroni/cauliflower cheese combo - lots of very cheesy sauce, more cheese and breadcrumbs on top and whacked under the grill.
Haven't even thought about tonight. Feeling rough, another stinking cold on top of the one I'd thought I was finally shaking off.
Possibly eggs on toast.