Dorcas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Member: 887843
  • Hertfordshire

Posted 26 September 2017 - 10:29

A student is unable to return, for very practical reasons, which is a great shame.  They are very reliable, and I have offered to take them back again, if they wish, at a later date.  I have an exam certificate, which for some reason, they want me to keep until they do come back.  I don't mind for a couple of weeks, but I would much prefer to post it to them, and have made it clear that sending them the certificate would in no way affect the student starting lessons again.  The certificate is their property after all.  I have never had this before, as people are usually very keen to collect certificates!

If anyone has any suggestions?  Unfortunately, I did have their address, but have since mislaid it.  

#2 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3475 posts
  • Member: 88756

Posted 26 September 2017 - 10:52

Perhaps they are moving house and are worried about it getting lost or damaged?

I would expect they have a good reason to ask for you to keep hold of it. I would just put it with your teaching paperwork (tax and insurance stuff) so it'll be in a safe place till they ask for it.

#3 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5313 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 26 September 2017 - 15:50

I wouldn't be happy about hanging onto a certificate either - mostly, I suppose, in case it gets damaged or lost while I am looking after it. Have you a phone number or email address - or any other means of contacting them - to say that you can't keep it for them and asking for their address?

#4 agricola

agricola

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1585 posts
  • Member: 545

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:51

I had a pupil who left unexpectedly without collecting her Grade 1 certificate in spite of a reminder that I had it.  It stayed in the bottom of my 'exam' drawer for about 3 years until her mother knocked at the door out of the blue and asked for it.

#5 elemimele

elemimele

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • Member: 895612

Posted 27 September 2017 - 14:46

Are they a bit traumatised by having to give up? When I had to stop playing for a bit because of various complications going on, I found it hard even to look at my instrument, as it reminded me of some things that made me very unhappy. Perhaps that's how they feel about the certificate? If at all possible, can you communicate with them and find out what's going on? Good luck!

#6 Dorcas

Dorcas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Member: 887843
  • Hertfordshire

Posted 27 September 2017 - 15:02

Thanks for the replies folks.  I am wondering if they are embarrassed, but I know the reason for stopping is completely understandable.  I have texted a few times now about me just posting it to them, but not had a response back.  I'm just a bit surprised as usually people are very keen to collect certificates, especially if they are stopping!  

#7 BadStrad

BadStrad

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3475 posts
  • Member: 88756

Posted 27 September 2017 - 15:39

It sounds as though whatever is going on is a major thing for the family, given that (a) the pupil is stopping lessons (b) they're normally reliable but now aren't replying to texts.  I don't think you can do more than you've already done, so I would just put the certificate somewhere safe.  Not ideal and not what you really want, but hopefully, like Agricola's example, the parent or pupil will turn up to claim it sooner or later.

#8 jpiano

jpiano

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2012 posts
  • Member: 1270

Posted 27 September 2017 - 17:16

There could be a dozen different reasons why or it may just be one of those things that was said by the pupil without a lot of thought. Yes, I'd file it somewhere safe for now (bit different I know but it reminds me of Trinity - and, now, ABRSM- certificates taking so long to arrive that it's the holidays by the time they're here- then I put them away so safely I have to remember where to find them).

#9 Maizie

Maizie

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6374 posts
  • Member: 9360
  • Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire

Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:25

It may be that the certificate is staying with you to be a symbol - as much for the student as for you - that this is a temporary hiatus in lessons, and not The Complete End.