#1 hazymus

hazymus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Member: 52192
  • Co. Wicklow, Republic of Ireland

Posted 23 May 2019 - 17:24

I remember starting to learn the violin with the Eta Cohen Method with my first teacher 50 years ago.  I know there was an update in 2000, which is the book that the students I've taken over were started on by the previous teacher in September 2018.   What is the newest edition like? I've always felt the Method was still old fashioned-looking inside and rather confusing.  Also is there a violin accompaniment book for it and is it worth buying?

My style is more Fiddle Time, Mary Cohen approach.

#2 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5887 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 24 May 2019 - 10:42

As far as I can see from Amazon, the newest (2017) edition is pretty much a rehash of the 2000 version, with largely exactly the same tunes (except that there seemed to be fewer of them). I don't know about accompaniment books. To be honest, I've only ever used it once when a student came along with it, and we worked from it alongside other material. When he left, he left the book with me and it has sat on the shelf ever since. There is so much more music out there for beginners, and most of it is more inspiring and better presented.

#3 hazymus

hazymus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Member: 52192
  • Co. Wicklow, Republic of Ireland

Posted 24 May 2019 - 11:14

Thank you for your opinion, it's just like mine.  I think you'd need an old-fashionedly serious child these days to get far with it, solid though it is.  It's the same with sudies like Sevcik and Schradiek, which I did and actually liked!! BTW I'm thinking of doing a PhD in worrying. unsure.png

#4 just helen

just helen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • Member: 66438
  • Dartmoor

Posted 25 May 2019 - 08:11

It now has a cd