Photo

What's everybody cooking or eating today?

• Please log in to reply
255 replies to this topic

#241 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19756 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 10 October 2017 - 21:23

Takeaway curry.

#242 Vicky Violin

Vicky Violin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • Member: 112435

Posted 10 October 2017 - 21:25

Using up some old veg in the fridge so carrot, celery, red pepper and tomato soup with cream, then tinned apricots and fresh strawberries with remaining cream for desert.

#243 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2412 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 10 October 2017 - 21:28

The sausage and beer soup was nice but too beery. I might do it again with a different beer. and less of it in relation to the other ingredients.

Do you heat the roe or have it cold? I've never had it.

#244 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5982 posts
  • Member: 95861
  • Here

Posted 10 October 2017 - 21:29

Opened the tin and ate it. Not tried heating it... 

#245 GMc

GMc

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1076 posts
  • Member: 322722

Posted 11 October 2017 - 07:02

Lacking inspiration and its early evening here.  Maybe a G+T will inspire me.   Lamb Keema is possible but I nearly always do that to lamb mince.  No one very keen on shepherds pie and I don't think there is enough for burgers of any kind.    Ainsley Harriott has a recipe for patties but you need hard goats cheese and pine nuts so that would mean going to the shops.   Maybe lamb kofta tagine...but my whizzer machine has died so until the broken part arrives I cant whizz up a sauce.   Could send DH to the takeaway for garlic naans to cheer up a keema I suppose. 

Roe talk reminds me of soft herring roes fried in butter on toast - nasty slimy white things until you pour on boiling water to firm them up then toss them in seasoned flour and fry at which point they are delicious.   Not available in Australia as far as I know but I must say I have never asked the fishmongers here about that.    One of Granny's better culinary offerings (her other stand out was toad in the hole).  

#246 linda.ff

linda.ff

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8032 posts
  • Member: 183500
  • Cambridge

Posted 11 October 2017 - 12:14

This morning: Linda's dry breakfast bowl.

I have a fresh milk phobia, quite irrational, I can have cream (but I don't usually fancy it) and yogurt, occasionally almond milk on cereal, and things cooked with milk, like macaroni cheese, but I have had too many traumatic experiences with off milk in tea/coffee and cereal and even the concept of it makes me... change the subject..

So - the dry breakfast bowl consists of chopped fruit (apple, nectarine, persimmon this morning, more than one fruit is too much, cubed cheese (a bit of Stilton with the Cheddar or Leicester gives it a bit of piquancy), a few chopped unsalted nuts, handful of raisins and occasionally other dried fruit (chopped dates) and a small amount of crunchy granola to crunch up the texture.

I don't think I'm a healthy eater on the whole - considering I have type 2 diabetes I eat far too much bread and potatoes and husband has a bad habit of bringing back doughnuts or danish pastries or Eccles cakes from the baker, and I have a bad habit of not refusing them. So this healthy breakfast bowl makes me feel slightly more virtuous and always tastes good.

#247 Vicky Violin

Vicky Violin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • Member: 112435

Posted 11 October 2017 - 17:01

More veg to use up so having another soup this evening with peppers, celery, beetroot livened up with a chili, some ginger and possibly a few tomatoes. Not sure how this one's going to turn out!

#248 Banjogirl

Banjogirl

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2412 posts
  • Member: 39509

Posted 11 October 2017 - 17:57

Spicy belly pork with peanut sauce. Raspberry pavlova. My two raspberry canes are still producing JUST enough raspberries for puddings for two.

#249 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7236 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:34

The remains of a pre-prepared beef stew. I took out the potatoes which were horrid and served the meat with mashed potatoes and green beans. I shloshed some wine in  the stew to cheer it up a bit. it was just about edible. Followed it with sheeps' milk yogurt and prune and apple purée ( little pot). tonight will be soup and boiled egg. However the weekend is nearly here and I have got lamb chops, a small pork joint and some pork ribs in the fridge waiting for the next cooking blitz.

#250 Aeolienne

Aeolienne

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1863 posts
  • Member: 16983
  • Leamington Spa, Warks

Posted 13 October 2017 - 23:07

Still on a mission to work through the contents of my freezer, I've had portion 2 of four times Quorn cooked with a ready-made Keralan curry sauce. If my freezer contents seem a bit random, that's because they mostly came from the "reduced to clear" section in Tesco.

#251 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5982 posts
  • Here

Posted 13 October 2017 - 23:12

If my freezer contents seem a bit random, that's because they mostly came from the "reduced to clear" section in Tesco.

That's my favourite section in the supermarket

#252 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4658 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 14 October 2017 - 13:49

Shared a pomelo fruit with OH yesterday (because it was huge). Never had one before and Morrisons seemed to have a shipment in store. It was lovely but I couldn't really describe the taste -less astringent than grapefruit, for sure.
It would be an interesting addition to a fruit salad (and I could have a spritz of Jo Malone's pong inspired by the same thing)

#253 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5982 posts
  • Here

Posted 14 October 2017 - 15:38

Shared a pomelo fruit with OH yesterday (because it was huge). Never had one before and Morrisons seemed to have a shipment in store. It was lovely but I couldn't really describe the taste -less astringent than grapefruit, for sure.
It would be an interesting addition to a fruit salad (and I could have a spritz of Jo Malone's pong inspired by the same thing)

I love pomelo- I think it's nice in non fruit salads- baby leaves, red onion, pomelo and almonds with balsamic vinaigrette is one of my favourites.

#254 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19756 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 14 October 2017 - 18:20

Well - easy-peasy night tonight. Slow-baked jacket potatoes, with whatever veg happened to be in the fridge.

Maybe a bit of cheese to follow.

#255 corenfa

corenfa

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5982 posts
  • Here

Posted 15 October 2017 - 18:41

Stir fried greens with bits of leftover roast pork. Steamed rice