39 replies to this topic

#1 Marl

Marl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Member: 893456

Posted 16 July 2015 - 18:24

Am not sure if I have failed my exam am pretty sure I have . Would it be possible to take grade 1 again? Help am going crazy just waiting to find out how I did! I was supper nervous at exams. My fingers where trembling and made a couple mistakes.has any adult piano player got any advice on how I should approach my nerves?

#2 CeliaPiano

CeliaPiano

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Member: 685609

Posted 16 July 2015 - 18:44

There's some good advice on a thread in the adult learners section right now about dealing with nerves. It's the grade 6 failure thread.

#3 maggiemay

maggiemay

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19867 posts
  • Member: 413
  • S E England

Posted 16 July 2015 - 18:54

Marl, many students find they are surprised at just how nervous they are at their first exam. Your reaction is not at all uncommon, and you may be surprised that the final result is nowhere near as awful as you imagine!

You can certainly take grade 1 again if you need / wish to - but do wait and see!
No doubt plenty of things went 'right' in your exam, but we do tend to remember the less comfortable moments, the odd slip, the anxiety. Some people find it gets easier with experience.

ps Welcome to the forums, by the way!

#4 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5907 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 16 July 2015 - 19:05

:welcome: to the forums, Marl!

Try not to worry - you shouldn't have failed due to a couple of mistakes, and examiners are used to trembling fingers.  It's a fact that after an exam, most people remember the things that went wrong, rather than the (usually many more) things that went right, so the chances are that it's not as bad as you think.

When you receive your results, do read your comments sheet before you decide whether to resit or just move on.  With this first experience behind you, you may find that if you decide to take another exam in the future you will not be as nervous since you will know what to expect.

Hope you will let us know when you hear, and in the meantime, just relax and forget about it.  :)

#5 Marl

Marl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 July 2015 - 21:28

Wow thank you guys for the support I absolutely needed iit. I do have confidence now as I know what to expect but I practised in the warm up room and got used to that piano and I was perfect. When I got into the exam the touch was completely different and tmy nerves just kicked in. But I'll stay positive for now. Results out soon so I'll update as I go along.

Thanks for making me feel welcome. Happy I can talk to others about my experience as I go on my piano journey.

#6 adultpianist

adultpianist

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1060 posts
  • Member: 888829

Posted 18 July 2015 - 02:26

Edited by EdGJ, 19 July 2015 - 09:54 .
Provocative content removed.

#7 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3578 posts
  • Member: 711500
  • Cotswolds

Posted 18 July 2015 - 06:42

No it's not. I was chatting to a steward when I was accompanying the other day, and she and I agreed that it is not an easy exam. And in no way wanting to belittle other grade 1 exams, it seems harder to me than some other instruments .It's a big achievement for a beginner pianist to get to grade 1. And anyway it didn't sound to me as if the other person would fail the exam.

#8 Crotchettymoomoo

Crotchettymoomoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Member: 656906
  • Leigh, Lancashire

Posted 18 July 2015 - 06:49

Some people find exams very easy. I can sit in a room full of people and sit a written exam no problem and do extremely well, but when I took my grade1 clarinet I fell to pieces. I never realised just how nerve-racking an experience it was going to be - the adrenaline kicked in, my blood pressure shot up, I literally felt as though my heart was in my mouth and I couldn't breathe (something I'm normally very good at on a day-to-day basis) and somehow, amongst all this, I had to play a clarinet. Needless to say, I too was convinced I'd failed - it turns out I hadn't.

If you found your grade 1 exam very easy then you're very fortunate, but don't assume everybody reacts the same way.

To the OP - congratulations on taking your grade 1, you'll probably find it wasn't as bad as you thought and don't let it put you off continuing to learn. At the end of the day, it's only a piece of paper and a reflection of how you played during those 12 minutes - not for the rest of your life :-)

Edited by EdGJ, 19 July 2015 - 09:55 .
Quote from deleted post removed.

#9 AnnC

AnnC

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3303 posts
  • Member: 6097

Posted 18 July 2015 - 06:53

No, it's not an easy exam. I have beginners that will take time to get to that standard, even though singing is perceived to be easy compared to other instruments (but that has been debated before). Sight reading is closely linked to theory, and interval pitching using only the inner ear is hard. Sol fa helps, but  it is yet another skill to learn. Some find aspects of the aural tests bewildering, too.

If you are beyond grade 1 in your skills, congratulations, but it is not to be belittled - it's an achievement to reach this milestone.

Marl - I'm sure your teacher would not have put you in for this if they thought it was beyond you. We always dwell on what went wrong and fail to give ourselves credit for the good bits. Finger crossed - I hope you get the result you deserve.

#10 dorfmouse

dorfmouse

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1350 posts
  • Member: 1946
  • Germany

Posted 18 July 2015 - 08:03

Edited by EdGJ, 19 July 2015 - 09:56 .
Direct response to deleted post.

#11 LizzieT

LizzieT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 841 posts
  • Member: 6386

Posted 18 July 2015 - 08:06

The longer I teach the more aware I become that G1 is not easy.  There is so much to learn, are so many things to put into place, not only in our brains but also in our ears and our fingers.  I am still awed at the complexity of the human brain when I watch students pull it all together.

A couple of years back an adult student rang me up virtually in tears after his G2 - he said there was no way he could have passed, he'd let me down, that everything had gone wrong including grinding to a complete halt in one piece.  He got a merit. :)

#12 mel2

mel2

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4809 posts
  • Member: 6928
  • East Yorkshire

Posted 18 July 2015 - 08:27

My sincere hope is that the unfortunate post from AP just came out the wrong way.

It is perfectly possible to fail grade 1, as I did with gr 1 violin aeons ago. If Marl remembers a few wrong notes and having the shakes then in all probability he doesn't remember dozens of things that were done well (enough to pass).
Chin up. A bad experience is often a spur to making sure you do better next time.
Hope you'll be pleasantly surprised and if not, plan something nice for yourself as a consolation.

#13 hummingbird

hummingbird

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1828 posts
  • Member: 491056

Posted 18 July 2015 - 09:16

Welcome to the forums, Marl, and congratulations on taking the exam - that in itself is a big achievement, irrespective of whether you pass or not. 

You might find it useful to look at the criteria which the ABRSM use for marking, and you'll probably find that you've done better than you fear.  Here's the link: http://gb.abrsm.org/...-we-mark-exams/

As for nerves, I don't know anybody who doesn't suffer to some extent.  Try and play as much as possible in front of supportive friends and family so as to get used it.  Supportive being the key word - their job is to boost your confidence!  It's even better if you can find other adult learners to play with regularly, even if piano isn't their instrument.  Have a look at meetup.com to see if there are any suitable groups in your area.

Look forward to seeing you around :)

#14 Marl

Marl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 09:53

Edited by EdGJ, 19 July 2015 - 09:58 .
Direct response to deleted post.

#15 Marl

Marl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 09:54

My big brother musts past away just 5 hours ago I don't need this persons negativity. Am learning and as I learn I will grow. Thank you all for your support

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Piano, Grade 1, Exams