bassoonista

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Member: 100709
  • Leeds

Posted 07 February 2017 - 17:51

Are any Forumites thinking of attending this course. I've just booked it, and as I'm the minimum standard required, I'm a bit nervous. Some friendly faces from the Forums would be nice! I have been to Benslow many times, and know how relaxed, friendly and pressure free it is, but even so........... :unsure:

#2 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22147 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 07 February 2017 - 18:54

Are any Forumites thinking of attending this course. I've just booked it, and as I'm the minimum standard required, I'm a bit nervous. Some friendly faces from the Forums would be nice! I have been to Benslow many times, and know how relaxed, friendly and pressure free it is, but even so........... :unsure:

Have fun. It's one I've considered though the two orchestras I play with do play a large amount of film and show music though often in easier than original arranements. I'm doing a summer school so the money is going there this year. May consider a change and a couple of short Benslow courses next year for a change.

#3 Rach123

Rach123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Member: 244658
  • Colchester, Essex

Posted 08 February 2017 - 20:51

I play in a concert band at the moment and used to play in a symphonic wind orchestra. I loved playing the film music we got to play so this course would absolutely be perfect for me

If i had the money, i would seriously consider coming to this course

#4 bassoonista

bassoonista

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Leeds

Posted 10 February 2017 - 15:31

I play in a concert band at the moment and used to play in a symphonic wind orchestra. I loved playing the film music we got to play so this course would absolutely be perfect for me

Hi Rach123. I have to ask...because I play with a wind band, I have only ever played in flat keys, and I am hopeless with sharp keys. Bassoon is in C, so being as you are a total theory geek, and I haven't done any theory, can you tell me if I'm likely to need to brush up on sharps?! :(

#5 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41570 posts
  • Member: 5804
  • South East London

Posted 10 February 2017 - 19:43

Hi Rach123. I have to ask...because I play with a wind band, I have only ever played in flat keys, and I am hopeless with sharp keys. Bassoon is in C, so being as you are a total theory geek, and I haven't done any theory, can you tell me if I'm likely to need to brush up on sharps?! :(

Not Rach123 (though I know Rach123 if that counts!)

If they are using proper film scores in the original keys, then there could be some less friendly keys there.
Reason why you get lots of concert Eb major/Bb major/F major/C major in wind bands is to make things easier for Bb and Eb instruments. If you get sharps, clarinets and saxes get mega sharps with cherries on top!

#6 bassoonista

bassoonista

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Leeds

Posted 12 February 2017 - 16:54

Not Rach123 (though I know Rach123 if that counts!)

If they are using proper film scores in the original keys, then there could be some less friendly keys there.
Reason why you get lots of concert Eb major/Bb major/F major/C major in wind bands is to make things easier for Bb and Eb instruments. If you get sharps, clarinets and saxes get mega sharps with cherries on top!

Thanks Barry-clari. Looks like I'd better get learning some sharp keys :crying: BTW, long time no see...how are you?

#7 barry-clari

barry-clari

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41570 posts
  • Member: 5804
  • South East London

Posted 13 February 2017 - 15:17

I would, just to be safe. Film composers are interested, of course, in the effect their music will have on the cinematic experience, not how easy it is to play!
Am appreciative of half term, because I'm up to my ears in work, but otherwise OK, bassoonista. Thanks for asking :D

#8 lubylu

lubylu

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1238 posts
  • Member: 522569
  • Dorset

Posted 16 February 2017 - 20:26

Is it the one in October? If so, I might well go. I have long been jealous of my children getting to play this kind of music in their orchestras so would love to have some fun myself!

#9 randomsabreur

randomsabreur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Member: 72272
  • Shropshire - the empty bit!

Posted 16 February 2017 - 21:53

Anyone who is West Midlandsish (Cheltenham to Birmingham via South Shropshire) the Film Orchestra has bands and orchestras from community level to G8 plus. It's great fun. 1 weekend day per month.

#10 bassoonista

bassoonista

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Leeds

Posted 24 February 2017 - 15:50

Is it the one in October? If so, I might well go. I have long been jealous of my children getting to play this kind of music in their orchestras so would love to have some fun myself!

That's the one. It would be nice to meet you...we seem to have some of the same reasons for attending.

#11 lubylu

lubylu

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1238 posts
  • Dorset

Posted 26 February 2017 - 10:07

Great! Look forward to meeting you too

#12 bassoonista

bassoonista

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Leeds

Posted 06 March 2017 - 16:34

Great! Look forward to meeting you too

Does that mean that you've booked a place Lubylu?

#13 lubylu

lubylu

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1238 posts
  • Dorset

Posted 08 March 2017 - 19:48

Not yet but I will. I went to the String Orchestra course at Benlsow last weekend and it was really short on numbers. I was quite surprised. No hiding at the back! Will be interesting to see how big this one is. Should be fun whatever.

#14 sbhoa

sbhoa

Maestro

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22147 posts
  • Member: 24
  • Tameside

Posted 09 March 2017 - 11:16

Not yet but I will. I went to the String Orchestra course at Benlsow last weekend and it was really short on numbers. I was quite surprised. No hiding at the back! Will be interesting to see how big this one is. Should be fun whatever.

I thought I saw you on Sunday...

#15 chaia

chaia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Member: 888455

Posted 15 March 2017 - 21:41

I was there too! Yes it was low on numbers this year in upper strings especially :(