#1 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1295 posts
  • Member: 76027

Posted 06 June 2019 - 12:38

I notice that the new violin syllabus now allows for a one year overlap for all countries, UK included. Does anyone know if in future this will apply to piano too? - I have a feeling I read it somewhere but could be mistaken.

#2 Misterioso

Misterioso

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5887 posts
  • Member: 13351
  • Outer Hebrides

Posted 06 June 2019 - 16:34

I notice that the new violin syllabus now allows for a one year overlap for all countries, UK included. Does anyone know if in future this will apply to piano too? - I have a feeling I read it somewhere but could be mistaken.

Does it? Does that apply to the 2016 / 19 syllabus too?

Sorry, I don't know about piano, but if they are doing it for one instrument, it seems that the same criteria should apply to the others.

#3 DMC

DMC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Member: 477382

Posted 06 June 2019 - 18:52

Remember it is already possible to apply for a syllabus extension - although there's no guarantee it will be granted.

I've had one granted for a pupil who was ill and due to take his exam at the end of March with the 2017/18 pieces. He's been given permission to take it in July with those pieces instead.

#4 ma non troppo

ma non troppo

Prodigy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1295 posts
  • Member: 76027

Posted 06 June 2019 - 20:06

"For candidates wishing to present pieces drawn from the 2016–2019 syllabus, a one-year overlap period (up to 31 December 2020) now applies to all countries – including the UK and Ireland."

https://gb.abrsm.org...llabus-updates/

#5 fionamck

fionamck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Member: 10620

Posted 07 June 2019 - 16:58

Not for piano as I understand it.

Syllabus overlap
For candidates wishing to present pieces drawn from the 2017 & 2018 syllabus, the following date limitations apply:

31 May 2019: UK and Ireland only
31 December 2019: All other countries

#6 BabyGrand

BabyGrand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Member: 144315
  • UK

Posted 07 June 2019 - 17:08

Not for piano as I understand it.

Syllabus overlap
For candidates wishing to present pieces drawn from the 2017 & 2018 syllabus, the following date limitations apply:

31 May 2019: UK and Ireland only
31 December 2019: All other countries

Yes, but I think perhaps they are introducing a one year overlap period from now on, in which case it would apply when the new piano syllabus comes out next year.  

#7 fionamck

fionamck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Member: 10620

Posted 07 June 2019 - 17:45

Ah ok, that’s interesting. Brings them into line with Trinity possibly?

#8 BabyGrand

BabyGrand

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Member: 144315
  • UK

Posted 07 June 2019 - 18:22

-- Introducing Initial Grade

-- Adding duet options in early grades

-- Full year overlap period

All things Trinity already did, that AB has now adopted.  

#9 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7621 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 07 June 2019 - 18:41

-- Introducing Initial Grade

-- Adding duet options in early grades

-- Full year overlap period

All things Trinity already did, that AB has now adopted.  

So when are they going to follow Trinity and drop the Grade 5 theory requirement for Grade 6 and above practical?

#10 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3544 posts
  • Member: 711500

Posted 07 June 2019 - 18:45

If they do, do you think anyone will actually study theory to that level?

#11 jenny

jenny

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2731 posts
  • Member: 7686
  • Manchester

Posted 07 June 2019 - 19:48

I really hope so. 

If they do, do you think anyone will actually study theory to that level?

I really hope so. I'm a very keen theory teacher and love to see my pupils getting to Grade 5 level.

#12 Latin pianist

Latin pianist

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3544 posts
  • Member: 711500

Posted 07 June 2019 - 19:55

I hope so, but know of lots of teachers who switch to Trinity to avoid the grade 5 theory.

#13 HelenVJ

HelenVJ

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2168 posts
  • Member: 1265
  • South-East London ( OK - Penge)

Posted 07 June 2019 - 20:24

All my students do theory - they just don't take any exam.  I mark their papers, tell them their score, and everyone seems perfectly happy.

#14 Sautillé

Sautillé

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Member: 897314

Posted 07 June 2019 - 20:29

[quote name="Latin pianist" post="1366155" timestamp="1559937309"]

I hope so, but know of lots of teachers who switch to Trinity to avoid the grade 5 theory.[/quote

It’s not ‘avoid’.... I love theory and I really really enjoy teaching it and all the children who do grade 5 get great results....but..... it’s a big ask of children and families, so it seems these days and I find mostly that children can’t be bothered and adults can’t be bothered to support and make it happen. I teach theory right from the very beginning but ai simply don’t have the time in a 30m lesson to nag, cajole etc and relentlessly police it. Those who are engaged seem to have the time and energy, those who don’t still have a perfectly viable grade option.... I see where they are coming from..... I now prefer with reluctant customers to teach the elements of theory I regard as most important (scales, key sigs, cycle of 5ths etc) and not bother with the rest. Harsh but fair.....

#15 Aquarelle

Aquarelle

Virtuoso

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7621 posts
  • Member: 10531

Posted 07 June 2019 - 20:40

I never thought I would want to see the requirement dropped because I too am a keen theory teacher and I think it's important. However my theory teaching is complicated by the fact that the theory books which cover the ABRSM Grade 5 syllabus are  all in English. when I taught theory to English speaking pupils they often worked on in theory book without help, reading the explanations and applying what they had already learnt. I then only had to check the answers and see that the concepts had been fully understood. So it didn't take anything like the amount of lesson time it takes with my present pupils. It is extremely difficult for youngsters whose mother tongue is not English to do this.

I'm actually now looking into the possibility of doing Practical Musicianship instead but I would have to start that quite early on. I don't think it is any easier  but it does seem to double up on instrumental work  rather more than written theory so might be a faster option.  You can't really just jump in at Grade 5 anymore than you can with the written paper. As the theory takes so much time my pupils are finding themselves faced with Grade 5 theory and Grade 6 Practical in their last (and therefore Baccalaureat) year at school. They obviously can't do this and I have three who are beginning to be rather crestfallen  because they are keen on doing the exam and are unlikely to be able to. OK they can play at Grade 6 level and do repertoire but they have been through the exam system, have enjoyed it and would like to finish their last year of lessons with a certificate. I'm pulling all the stops out for Grade 5 theory at Easter and Grade 6 in the summer but it is not a path I really want to follow. It's a dilemma because I can't expect the AB to change the rules for non English speakers. However I think they ought to think about getting into line with Trinity and LCM. They are losing Grade 6,7 and 8 candidates to the other boards and I think that is rather a shame. I, of course, in France, don't have that option.